Chocolate filled french toast

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Muse, May 4, 2009.

1. Muse

Muse Member

Inspired by Masterchef Australia, I decided to try Chocolate filled Eggy Bread/French Toast (I dont like eggy bread but thats what she called it on the show).

Dieters turn back now!

I thought about it for a while, I wanted to use things I had around the house rather then doing a special shop for something relatively simple. Ideally the best thing to use would be an uncut loaf of bread, cut a thick slice and cut in a pocket. But I would just use 2 slices of white bread, the cooked egg and melted chocolate should hold it together.

First attempt:
    2 slices of bread
    2 eggs, lightly beaten.
    ΒΌ cup of milk
    pinch of salt
    cinnamon
    half teaspoon of vanilla (A Vanilla pod would be fantastic in this, but I didnt have one)
    Dark cooking Chocolate buttons
    Sugar to taste
    Butter for cooking

Place chocolate buttons on bread, don't go all the way to the edge or it will ooze out and burn on the pan.
    [​IMG]

Sandwich slices of bread together. Find a container not much bigger than the sandwich and sprinkle sugar in the bottom. Place sandwich on top.

Mix eggs, milk, salt, cinnamon and Vanilla and pour over bread, allow to soak in for 1 minute.

Frypan, butter, medium heat and cook slowly, sprinkle sugar on top.
    [​IMG]

Flip after a minute (or when bottom is golden brown) and cook other side for another minute, and serve.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (yes, mine burnt a little)

In hindsight, I would leave out the sugar because it is already very sweet. I overlapped the buttons so the middle would be thick, but a flat layer would work well and be... not so thick. This is really for those with a sweet tooth. And as I thought, a thick slice of bread with a pocket cut into it would be better, 2 slices is a bit too thick as it is VERY rich. Could probably serve two.
    For those with a really sweet tooth, dust with icing sugar.
    No bad for a first try, I couldn't eat it all though.

Serve with ice cream to cut through the richness .

Edit: would be a nice treat for mum next Sunday ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. mcrow5

mcrow5 Member

omg, that looks nice as, easy to make as well. will have to try this!!!

3. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

maybe serve with some cream, yeah?

4. OP
    OP
    Muse

Muse Member

Or cream yeah, that would be great.

5. csimpson

csimpson Member

This isn't presented very well, yeah?

Work on that... :lol:

(looks delicious!)

6. OP
    OP
    Muse

Muse Member

[​IMG]

a little better? :p I got distracted (by bubs) and the butter and bottom kinda burnt, so then the plate smeared with burnt butter.. it was the best of a bad situation :lol:

7. chopsticks

chopsticks (Taking a Break)

no no no, you're doing it all wrong.

it's basically a chocolate filled waffle. gotta serve that up with ice cream AND cream. the really thick king island dairy stuff. mmmmm

8. Flying_Fish

Flying_Fish Member

My attempt:
    [​IMG]
    Not bad considering all i usually cook is 2 minute noodles lol.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  9. doug81

doug81 Member

needs bacon...

10. scon

scon Member

The "proper" way of doing it, would probably be making a ganache, by melting dark chocolate and then adding cream (half as much cream as chocolate). Then making the french toast (and frying both sides of it) and spreading the warm ganache between the two. It'd be a little less rich in the middle and the mouth feel of the chocolate would be different. The cons of course would be that it'd dirty another pot and in general it woud be more of a pain in the ass to make.

11. OP
    OP
    Muse

Muse Member

My initial aim was to make chocolate filled french toast and not a sandwich. I thought about a ganache and for the amount of chocolate required for a single serve, it'd be a real pain and a lot of mess. My second attempt will be the thicker slice of bread with a pocket cut into it, I think piping in a ganache would probably be too thick and/or thicker in parts. Will see how second attempt goes tomorrow.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  12. zoidbergmerc

zoidbergmerc Member

Replace chocolate with bacon, problem solvered.

13. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

If I ever want to make a small amount of ganache, I just chuck it in a coffee mug (the chocolate and cream together) and whack it in the microwave. Stir every 10-20 secs, depending on the quantity, and take it out while there's still lumps. (They will melt all by themselves as you keep stirring, and will stop the chocolate from burning by being left in there too long.)

All up, takes about a minute... and only 1 coffee mug and 1 teaspoon (it needs to be a metal spoon to stop the chocolate from catching and a teaspoon is just the right size!) get dirtied, plus the ganache just melts away under hot water, so no scrubbing!

But, hang on... you said that [Bubs] distracted you? You have a baby? For some reason I thought you were a uni student!

14. OP
    OP
    Muse

Muse Member

Uni student? LOL no, not me. Coffee cup is a good idea, the couple of times I have made Ganache I have usually used a ramekin. I think I am just frightened now from a recipe I tried a few months back for a chocolate tart... the ganache... it was every where :upset: the horror! The recipe was all messed up (in a large cook book), there was 3 times more ganache than pastry.. I think I have been scarred for life.

Too sick to try attempt two today, maybe tomorrow. I am going to bakers delight to buy the loaf, see if I can get a fancy bread that would compliment it without adding more sweetness. Might pick up cream for a ganache too, my husband will have to be the judge, I don't think I could stomach something so sweet at the moment.

15. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

I did it yesterday, and only remembered AFTER I made it that I don't like French toast!!

I used 2 thick slices of homemade sourdough light rye (it was the only bread I had) spread with ganache on both pieces so I could sandwich sliced banana in between.

I think next time I make it I'll just skip the egg+milk mixture and fry it straight - I don't like the texture of the set-but-soft bread. I had to use a fraction of sugar, to offset the sourdough. But the combination was pretty good!

Making ganache like this is pretty much the only way I do it! Yesterday I used about 8 squares of choc and about 1 tbsp cream. And it really was done in a minute!

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  16. wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

No you can't do that, you can only ADD, not replace! That's just blasphemy!

Add some french fries too whilst you're at it!

17. OP
    OP
    Muse

Muse Member

*drool* bananas! awesome idea!

Not a big fan of french toast either BUT if you do it right it's not mushy in the centre, the chocolate and the soft insides all melt together and it was the best french toast I have had. I also found the Vanilla got rid of the eggy flavour too. I see an attempt 2 and 3 coming.... ermm no bacon though.

18. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

tried it. was good. will upload pics next time I connect my Touch Pro :thumbup:

Definately better than my last attempt at french toast though, usually way too keen and end up with soggy and egg tasting bread. Best part was that we had dark chocolate chips ;)

19. scon

scon Member

Hm... now that you mention it, it would be good as just bread fried in butter. Mmm. Yummeh.

20. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

thats my cheat way of making toasted sammiches. ie make sammich of desired filling...(left over mash potato etc) and just throw some butter in a pan and throw the sammich in.