Chocolate Fondant

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by doug81, Jun 22, 2009.

1. doug81

doug81 Member

With all the discounted Lindt lately, seems to be an ideal use for it!

Recipe (from here: http://www.twoflatwhites.com/tag/chocolate-fondant/)

Ingredients

Click to view full size!

100gm dark chocolate (exactly one block of lindt - coincidence?)
    100gm butter
    2 egg yolks
    2 whole eggs
    50 gm caster sugar
    30 gm plain flour
    Butter for greasing

First up, preheat oven to 200C

Click to view full size!

butter & chocolate in a bowl. I put this on a small saucepan of boiling water from the kettle and let it melt that way.

Click to view full size!

Once it got to this stage, I replaced the water in the saucepan for freshly boiled stuff. I prefer to melt chocolate with a more passive heat source that the stove or microwave.

Click to view full size!

Mmmm, glossy goodness :thumbup:

Click to view full size!

stir in sugar and then add in 2 eggs & 2 extra yolks. could break them up first, but I just do that in the bowl.

Click to view full size!

sift in flour and mix thoroughly until consistent texture.

Click to view full size!

Plenty of butter, but I think I'll use baking paper next time (you'll see why)

Click to view full size!

not evenly filled, but shows the different amounts of rising I suppose (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Into the 200C oven for 15 minutes. Risen chocolate goodness :thumbup:

Click to view full size!

As you can see, it's a bit overdone for fondant, and it didn't come out of the dish very cleanly at all. tastes like an awesome chocolate pudding still. The oven I'm using is very old and not fan-forced. I think I'll up the temperature a bit, make them a bit smaller, and cook for less time. I think if I'd made these in a fan-forced at 200C and baked for 12 minutes they'd be great. The baking paper would help them come out of the dish better too. Still delicious none-the-less, and pretty simple and quick to make :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. scon

scon Member

Hahah... hilarious! My g/f made these yesterday. They were HUGE, and rich... loads of cream too... was stuffed afterwards.

3. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

The recipe I had said to thickly butter the moulds, and then sprinkle all over with white sugar. It takes about a teaspoon per mould. The sugar melts, but doesn't stick to the butter, so you end up with a nice crust that you wouldn't get with baking paper.

Looks good though! :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    doug81

doug81 Member

will definitely give that a try next time :thumbup:

I'll give it another go soon enough and post up some improved final pics (hopefully!)

5. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

this is a pretty hard recie to get right so i've heard. Will give it a go though, cheers!

6. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

I was thinking about this last night (or was it this morning? Way too much occupying my brain ATM.) I forgot to mention that you will still need to run a knife around the edge to get them to unmould. I like to invert them, and leave them sitting there while I invert the rest of them, and then lifting off the mould at the end. (So they get a good 30 seconds or so to do their thing, and the trapped steam also helps.)
    It's still not a foolproof method, but one I find gives a better result than baking paper.

7. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

dusting with coco powder after coating with butter would be ok as well wouldnt it?

8. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

I reckon it would be worthwhile to try.
    Maybe I'll do butter + sugar + cocoa on my next attempt!

9. Melzawelza

Melzawelza Member

Made these a couple of nights ago and they were faaaarking amazing!!!

I ended up cooking them for about 18 minutes in a preheated 200c oven and they still werent quite cooked enough! the inside was still very liquidy. beautiful though. i took pics, will post asap

10. Da Madness

Da Madness Member

How does the chilli taste go with the fondant? Can you use normal dark chocolate or is chilli chocolate give it that little extra?

11. OP
    OP
    doug81

doug81 Member

TBH, the chilli wasn't all that noticeable. Might kick it up a notch next time though...

and yeah, regular dark chocolate is fine.

12. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Just an update on the mould dusting to make fondant not stick: I used a thick layer of butter + sugar + cocoa. So I greased the ramekins thoroughly, then added about a teaspoon of white sugar to coat the butter and swirled and tapped it to make it even. I then repeated with about 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa, all the way around. (Should have taken some pics, sorry, didn't think of that!)
    The fondants came out effortlessly - there was nothing stuck at all! I would definitely recommend this over baking paper, as it gives the fondants more chance to absorb the flavours, and they don't sweat from the baking paper.

13. OP
    OP
    doug81

doug81 Member

Great minds think alike it would seem Mrs Dan :D

I made them again yesterday and after using plenty of butter on the ramekins, I coated that in a sugar/cocoa mix using Red African cocoa. They came out perfectly, and had a chewy chocolate toffee on the outside that was fantastic! I also upped the temp to 210C and had them in for about 12 minutes and this was the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first one had the middle come out a little bit, but I put that down to not having a fan forced oven and the top didn't quite seal over 100%, and I didn't put it on a plate as I was adding icecream to these ones. Really happy with the way they turned out as the other attempts were still tasty, but not quite the perfect fondant. This one was the best damn thing I've ever had!!!

14. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

I had one of these recently, very tasty! :thumbup:

15. Gristy

Gristy Member

had a go and enjoyed it, will try the tips to make it not stick when i try again on the weekend :)

16. danielsan

danielsan Member

woah! they look damn good :)

17. JackTar

JackTar Member

Clean your oven.

18. Mad

Mad Member

I gave this a try this morning.

I swapped out 50 gm caster sugar as a 1/4 cup and
    30 gm plain flour as 2 tbs, because I don’t own any scales.

The 8 minutes in the original recipe is way to short (may work if they were smaller, I only got 3 form the batter not 4 as stated). They are far from perfect and still taste awesome. :D

The first one cooked for about 12 minutes in a greased coffee cup

Click to view full size!

The 2nd one I left in longer about 20 minutes and was in baking paper.

Click to view full size!

Cheers

19. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

(posted from other thread. :thumbup:)

I was just thinking about this - white chocolate is much sweeter than dark chocolate (especially the 85% I use, what with all the sugar in the recipe) does the white choc fondant end up being really sweet? Is there a way to substitue some/all of the sugar for something else? i know it's not quite the same as flour as far as how much "dryness" it adds to a recipe... maybe I'll just experiment with quantities.
    Is it too sweet, or is it tolerable?

20. scon

scon Member

If you're making these alot, consider getting some Dariole Molds, they're the 'proper' mold for making these, quite abit taller and skinnier, and they're made from metal so the insides slide out easily.