Choice of Electric Guitar Amplifier for kid learner

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by synic, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Which Guitar Amplifier should I keep?

1. Kustom Dart 10 2nd Hand. It works. I'm the 2nd owner.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Peavey Rage 158 'TransTube' version. I'm the 3rd or 4th owner and it's a bit battered but 'suppose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. synic

synic Member

Hi all. I'm at a loss. I'm trying to get together a guitar and amp for my 10 year old daughter to beging learning guitar.

I still don't have a guitar.

But, I do have TWO, yes Two, guitar amplifiers to choose from. I want your help in deciding which one ot keep.

1. Kustom Dart 10 2nd Hand. It works. I'm the 2nd owner.

This one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kustom-...404244?hash=item2396e45ed4:g:ThIAAOSw4PxaAWKl

2. Peavey Rage 158 'TransTube' version. I'm the 3rd or 4th owner and it's a bit battered but 'supposed' to work.

This one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peavey-...856337&hash=item33df2ca33e:g:JzsAAOSwVlVaSgeK

I know the Peavey is 'supposed' to be better. There are far more 'bells and whistles' on the Peavey than the bare-bones Kustom Dart 10.

It doesn't matter what I've paid for them. I've parted with the money. I got the Kustom first and only just picked up the Peavey for $50 from an old junkie musician who only uses his acoustic now. (He already hocked his guitar otherwise I would have bought that too to save him the trouble).

Which one of the two should I keep for a 10 year old girl just starting to learn guitar?

Suggestions appreciated. FWIW I live in BrisVegas but I'm not sure what that has to do with the slice of bread.

2. Hater

Hater Member

It's a practice amp, either will do. If one is solid state and the other isn't, i'd go with the solid state amp purely due to power consumption. In the future once she's on the verge of becoming a rock star i'm sure she'll start playing with tubes and crunch etc

3. Perko

Perko Member

The Peavey TransTube amps don't have any tubes in them, it's sort of an emulation circuit. The Marshall Valvestates and some older Laneys had tube preamps and solid state power stages in them, but yeah not the Peaveys.

I don't know much about those Kustoms, but those Bandits with that TransTube circuit were good little amps.

4. Boneman

Boneman Member

Whichever one has a headphone output.

alexb618 and Ratzz like this.
  5. Perko

Perko Member

This guy gets it.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The Peavey is supposed to sound a little better, whether that is noticeable to the untrained ears or not is a different story.

But yeah no tubes in the Rage 158. Just LM4558 opamps and TDA2040 power chip IC's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

With some kid smashing random chords I reckon you would need to be quite the connoisseur to be able to make out which was "better"