Choosing radiator fans for 120mm push/pull set up

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Tazor, May 28, 2019.

1. Tazor

Tazor Member

So I'm getting a custom chassis made, you can see the case and progress here, where the CPU will be cooled by a 120mm loop with the rad mounted to the front with push/pull fans.

I'm trying to decide which fans I should get and wanted to know what people's experience with various fans were?

I have 3 options currently:
    Noctua Industrial 3000RPM
    Corsair ML120 Magnetic Levitation
    Fractal Design Prisma AL-12

They all have decent air pressure, ranging from 2.78 to just over 7.5 mmH2o which I think is the important metric for a radiator fan in a small case no?

The Fractals have the lowest Air Pressure, but they're pretty affordable at 3 for $80 with some decent RGB integration which I'm not opposed to.

The Corsair fans seem like they have good performance - although I've heard mixed reviews on these and wasn't sure if anyone around here had more insight. One issue is I have 3 fan slots in the case so I'd need to find a 3rd fan, although I have plenty of spare fans I can use in the meantime.

The Noctua's have the best performance but they're bloody expensive, and they'd be extremely loud to get their rated 7.63 mmH2o rating.

To all you Watercooling junkies on here, how much difference will these variations in Static Pressure make?
    What fans do you use most frequently and why?
    Are there any options I haven't mentioned here I should look at?

Thanks in advance guys,

Cheers

Tazor

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I don't think you'll need all those balls from the Noccies on the front mate, especially in push/pull. Run-of-the-mill SP (~1-2mm) should be fine, assuming your rad FPI isn't massive. The 'pull' fan gives the 'push' fan a bit of a helping hand with the flow through the fins when you balance the speed right; if the 'push' fan is too fast you'll overspin the 'pull' fan and make it noisy, if the 'pull' fan is too quick you'll drag air through the 'push' fan and make it noisy, too. A fan is always noisier on the 'pull' side - that's just the effect of an airflow barrier. You counteract that with the 'push' fan - there's a sweet spot where the noise signature will drop to your ear, and that's where your optimal flow sits.

There's two GTs in here that might be worth picking up if still available - they'd be an excellent fit. I can't give you any first-hand experience with your other choices, but the Noctuas are way overkill and by the time you're happy with the noise/performance balance for daily use they're Reduxes anyway :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah I thought the same about the Industrials - like $90 on fans I'll be running at 1500RPM anyway.

Maybe down the line I'll swap to a single higher SP front fan and a fatter rad.

I've got the Fractals in my Wish-list currently cos they offer a good balance, I get all 3 fans in a single pack and they work with the ASRock Polychrome RGB control software and I've seen a lot of positive feedback on them.

Otherwise I have a bunch of 120mm Redux fans and a single 120mm 1500RPM Chroma fan which is decent but I'd need a second one.

Appreciate the advise and feedback Juzz, I'll see if the GT's are still available cos they were always sick fans for rads.

juzz86 likes this.
  4. im late

im late Member

I used all ml120s in my last enclosed build and I had no complaints. I would use them again actually if I had to.

However, all these fans won't translate into a real world difference that is measurable "enough" to direct you to a fan brand.

Industrial ones might be overkill as you are paying for IP rating tech which you won't ever be using.

I would go GT's if you can get them followed by the ML's

5. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Thanks man, I agree that with the small size of the enclosure most SP fans will provide similar or identical results. I may just make the choice off looks alone I think.

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I think it really depends on your rad. If it has low fins per inch then you wouldn't really need a mega fan to do a perfectly reasonable job. Push/pull is mostly a waste of time too, save some space and only use one fan. You'll save a couple degrees at most by adding the second fan.

Just a basic bequiet!! Pure Wings 2 fan, $15 for a 120mm would do the job just fine, be nice and quiet, and not cost a fortune, if the rad fins aren't too tightly spaced. They have pretty good SP too, ample for your purposes.

If the rad has a higher fins per inch, then SP matters more, but even then, a single half decent fan should be ample for all but the thickest, tightest spaced rads, like maybe a high FPI 60mm or 80mm rad. Only for a rad like that would I consider push/pull worthwhile.

7. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Funny you mention Bequiet because the base of the loop is a Silent Loop 120, sinc the Rad has fill and drain ports, the pump is decent and the fittings are all G1/4 so I can dismantle it to customise the loop. So I'll have 2 Pure Wing 2's already.

Part of me is wondering if down the line I upgraded the loop to a thin and high FPI radiator with a single high SP fan and use the free space for a DDC pump and tube res with a vector block, but that all depends on the measurements from the final case, as I don't yet know if if a can fit that in.

Not sure what the Silent Loop rad's FPI is though unfortunately...

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If those are the fans which came with the rad, they'll be more than enough for the job. Honestly, I still believe that the second fan is virtually superfluous though, so it being a small build, I'd remove one of those (whichever is convenient, there is little difference between push and pull) to save a little space, and use it elsewhere as a case fan.

juzz86 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

I mean given the case design the 100mm in front of the motherboard is purely rad/fan space and the top fan is slim (waiting on the slim noctua cromax fans) so I may as well use it as push pull since I can xD

Ratzz likes this.
  10. RnR

RnR Member

Random thought when I saw you said thin radiator with high fpi - the xs-pc tx series fits that bill. Got decent performance too from the reviews.

11. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah I really like those, considering grabbing one with a thin fan at some stage.

12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

The Noctua Industrial 2000's are already incredibly loud at full bore to the point of being unusable if you're in the same room, at 3000 they'll sound like a jumbo jet taking off.

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Noctua A12x25s are what you want for game changing performance.

By that I mean they're a couple degrees better than ML Pros or F12s or GTs at the same noise level.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Bequiet !! Silent Wings are just as effective as the Noctuas, noticeably quieter, and only 15 bucks each for 120mm.

15. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

I have an NF-F12 Chromax I might buy a second one of if I need push/pull - although for now I reckon I will just use a single NF-F12 as my main fan since I already have it - if they do Chromax A12x's I reckon I might grab one of those, they had a bunch of Chromaxed fans at Computex included A12x15's too so hopefully I can run full blackout Noctua's when I get the case for a stealthy and quiet set up.
    Technically the Silent Wings are $30 and the Pure Wings are $15 - although I know what you meant

16. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

F12s are actually pretty horrible when it comes to under 900RPM performance, they just sound horrible.

17. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Are they?
    Hopefully not too much so! Guess I'll find out soon enough.