Chopping some power bills

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by AgB deano, Nov 3, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    AgB deano

AgB deano Member

Ahh, all good news :)

So far I have completed the following goals in my nazi wallet and power saving regime of doom;

- Installed energy efficient globes throughout the house where I am not using 240VAC downlights.
    - Adjusted the barracuda filtering times for the pool to off-peak only and for half an hour between 5-5:30 so I can see it is working.
    - Adjusted the solar heating to only turn on between 2-4pm and when the pool temp is under 30 (nice temperature actually :lol:)
    - All lights and non essential equipment is turned off unless someone is actually in the room and/or using it (my family was shocking for this)
    - All home theater equipment is turned off at the wall when the last person goes to bed at night and is switched on (and left on) when the first person wants to use it. Only exception is the PVR recorder which is on a separate mains outlet as we like this on to record random shows. This has been a very successful tactic as it generally isn't used for a good 15 hours of the day or is sometimes not used at all for days on end. It also prevents the "too hard to do constantly" excuse and will get them used to turning shit off around the rest of the house.
    - Turned off the "Old Girl" for good. 30 y/o kelvinator that has served us very well as the resident beer fridge. Unfortunately she was about as efficient as a water tank with a hole in it.

Next tasks are to;

- Look into a yellow glass frosting that you can buy in aerosol cans in Bunnings to very lightly spray the new globes as I hate the 'cool white' and would like it slightly offset to yellow

- Decide on whether I would like to invest in "Eco" 12V downlights with decent transformers or LED downlights which would be insanely expensive but use sweet fuckall power.

- Maaaybe grab that remote control mains switch or make one myself

- Finish building media center pc. My main rig is connected to my 32" bravia in the bedroom. Other than playing movies and browsing the net all day I don't use it for much else but it is on quite a lot and would use 4-5x the power than the rig i'm building. If it can stay off unless I'm actually playing games or whatever and I use the laptop for browsing then i'll see a very decent power saving.

- Grab another beer.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. Shion

Shion Member

^ Good work!

Please clarify: are your current downlights 12V or 240V? Do they have transformers?

Why didn't you buy 'warm white' ones? Many brands I've seen offer both warm and cool white options.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. Aaron_85

Aaron_85 Member

this will only work if it is actually wired on the off peak tarrif. otherwise the electricity it is using is the same price as normal (you are just using less of it now)

4. OP
    OP
    AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I am using 240VAC 50W Halogen Downlights :)

The downlights you are thinking of are (generally) the 12VDC 50W Dielectric downlights that require a 240VAC>12VDC transformer :)

TBH I didn't notice the warm white at the time, now trying to think of a quick solution other than replacing them all ;)

I know this is the case with a lot of meters but I am not sure if it applies to mine. I will have to look into this but I am fairly sure that my meter records the usage between different hours of the day.

5. xc351

xc351 Member

hi im a lecky for a a energy supply company.

1st of just setting your pool pump timber to operate 'off peak' will change nothing u actully have seperate circuits/meters for different trafiffs.

check your board u will see 2 meters.

ok prices are as of just before last price hike.

(T)arfiff 11 = all general power anything that u can turn on 24/7 is 16c kwhr
    T 31 is off peak = and fixed, hard wired applice may use this power is on 16 hrs a day (min) 6c kwhr
    T33 is off peak = same as T31 but power is on 20 hrs a day power is 9c kwhr

ok by fixed applinces normally its just hot water and it automaticly turns of during peak hrs (we send a ripple of a higher freq down the line that opens teh relay)

other items that are good condenters for t31 or t33 is ac, pool, heated floors.

biut a lecky will need to do all this it could be simple 30 min job ($100)

also this maybe different in other states were there is more gas appliances.

best bet is to c all up local lecky or supply agency and ask what u are on.

pm me if u need more info