Chris's Timber Tripod

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by C.Michael, Jul 14, 2011.

1. C.Michael

C.Michael Iron Photographer

Hi guys,

Just thought I would share a little project I am doing for University at the moment. I have decided to make a mini timber tripod, if this one ends well - I will probably make a full scale version.

It was made from Meranti, Jarrah and some steel tubing.

Here is the leg detail before being screwed in.

[​IMG]

Somewhat of a finished product

[​IMG]

Feel free to ask any questions or to add in suggestions.

2. Pipster

Pipster Member

dude, sweet. is it heavy? reminds me of a wooden esle (i think thats how you spell it) mount. Also how is it mounted to the camera?

3. OP
    OP
    C.Michael

Thanks man!

Um, it isn't heavy per se - it feels just about right. I have yet to test it with camera attached. I have found a bolt which fits my ball head attachment. So the black ball head on top attaches to my camera. I hope that it is not top heavy or anything.

I need some sort of rubber foot for the legs - can anyone suggest something?

4. MadMonkOfFunk

MadMonkOfFunk Member

If you want to go cheap then you can get some simple rubber covers for chair legs from Bunnings. Or a more expensive option would be buying real tripod feet (example B&H).

BTW awesome project, do you plan to actually use it? And what's the weight rating :D

5. djnz

djnz Member

Hmm, you know I have a wooden telescope tripod in the cupboard, wonder how easy it would be to convert.

6. OP
    OP
    C.Michael

Thanks for the links mate. I think I may go for something like this to match the black tubing:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318624-REG/Giottos_FP1021_Rubber_Foot_with_Metal.html

Weight Rating I am unsure! The legs are made of Jarrah, so they are quite hard. I am working out how I will make it telescopic tomorrow. Probably just with a simple hole in the tubing and a bolt to lock the leg.

Definite plans to use this. I made a brief for myself for a tripod that was enough to hold my 550D w/ grip (soon to be 5D hopefully) that is lower to the ground than my current tripod. It also had t have telescopic legs.

I wouldn't assume too hard. Post a picture? You could always fashion up a top plate with a bolt so you can attach a ball head or other.

7. OP
    OP
    C.Michael

Here is the finished product (more or less):

Attached the top plate today with the screw attachment for the ballhead.

[​IMG]

Holds my gripped 550D with Tamron 17-50 with ease.

[​IMG]

Very happy with it. If anyone would like to know details feel free to ask.

8. SyN

SyN Member

very chunky...

9. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Hell yes!! Love the wooden legs!

10. OP
    OP
    C.Michael

Thanks man! :) - very happy for a first go.

sYn, it is actually quite slim. The perspective throws it out a bit. It isn't too bad in regards to chunky-ness.

11. MadMonkOfFunk

MadMonkOfFunk Member

How heavy is it with the head? And is it stable enough with the camera out at 90 degrees?

Looks nice finished, would be interested to see pics if you do make a full size version.

12. nafan08

nafan08 Member

wouldnt peices of rubber work for the feet held on with small nails and glue?

13. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Do some weight bearing tests. This thing looks pretty sturdy :thumbup:

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Check out bunnings for rubber stopper/feet etc. They got heaps of options. Get the ones that you can screw into the bottom instead of just sticky tape.

15. joiji

joiji magicu

Was this done in one of Bob's classes? Whats the program code?

Looks good, if you can't find anything suitable, try walking stick feet. Should be able to get them in a size reasonably close to your tube, then just bore out from there.

16. Athiril

Athiril Member

That's pretty awesome.

I would love to see a deep dark stain on the wood with some intricate relief carving and brass fittings :leet:

17. Statitica

Statitica Member

Time for someone to be a stick in the mud...

Can you use it on surfaces that are not flat/level?

Looks cool though...

18. OP
    OP
    C.Michael

To be honest I am not totally sure. I do not have it in my possesion at the moment. I completely forgot to test it with the head at 90 degrees! If I get rubber feet I couldn't see a problem though because the low centre of gravity helps with stability.

I am fairly happy with it. If I was to do it again, I would make the attachments in brass and probably take a bit more time/care with it. I only really had 3-4 days (4-5 hours per day) to design & build it.

They would, but I want to get something that looks a part of the design. So as it is not in my possession at the moment, I will look for something a decent.

Thanks man. I am unsure how to conduct a weight bearing test, but will gladly do so and post results when I get it back.

Cheers mate - that is what I want, the ones on B&H were great - but a bit pricey.

It was mate. Bob is an absolute champ! Not sure of the course code, but it was called "Foundations in Design & Technology". It is a education based course, I did it as a BUGGE elective as I am part of the Architecture school at City West.

Will look into walking stick feet too. Cheers.

Thanks man. I really wanted some better timber - but I am broke at the moment and used what was available to me in terms of timber. I really should have used brass - it was there, I just didn't think about it! :(

If I make another I will make it with some dark stained American Oak and brass fittings I think!

Not sure what the first bit means - sorry! Yep it has extendable legs, didn't get time to fashion a fixing to lock the leg in place because I didn't want to slap dash it just so it had something. I want this to be something I use, so I will most likely sort something out when I get it back.

Cheers.

19. Statitica

Statitica Member

stick in the mud.

What I meant was, everyone else was saying how good it was, and I was going to be critical...

Ah, cool, I couldn't see anything in place for extending the legs, but you've thought of that already... :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    C.Michael

Haha I would prefer people to be critical to be honest. When I make my next one I want it to be better, and being the first time I had designed something like this - I am sure many minds could think of some interesting innovations!

Cheers mate!