Christ this is embarressing

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by metamorphosis, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

All of them (as far as I recall) had English as a first language.
    There was just a significant correlation between sending each other emails with 'colleagues' as the form of address, and a bunch of other newspeak dialogue that the management seat warmers used. Said groupspeak used to proliferate into HR position profiles, task descriptions and management conversations. The only other notable correlation was that the people who used it were fucking useless.

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

"hi useless asshats and useful people"

Anyone offended isn't worth worring about because they are a useless asshat. ;)

Hive likes this.
  3. Hive

Hive Member

Another word you should incorporate into your vocabulary is y'all'd've or even Y'all'd've'f'I'd've

4. connico

connico Member

I used "Your loving Colleague" once... I was in husband writing mode and had to fire a quick response to an all hands email... that went down well lol

5. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

Per my last email Karen

6. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Does that expand to You All Could Have?

Hive likes this.
  7. Hive

Hive Member

Or adding another "Kind regards" when it is already part of your signature. Congrats recipient you are now worthy of sincerity.

I d'no m8. May have to think about that one.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Boomshanka should really be a standard salutation

oculi likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Rick really was the first Justice Warrior. Interestingly, Bom Shankar is hindu and means 'praise shankar', who is supposed to be a lesser (?) form of Shiva.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There's a recent trend going about to sign off emails with "best".

Not "best wishes". Just "best". And it strikes me as off-the-chain arrogant. Like a statement of grandiosity summing up your shitty email as the best email ever written. Either that, or you were to fucking lazy to qualify your adjective with a noun.

Maybe I should sign off my emails with unqualified adjectives too. "Tallest". "Longest". It's the reader's discretion to fill in the blanks.

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Do I put this adjective before, or after the abomination that is my title, company logo, 8 foot tall marketing banner and 19 paragraph long legal disclaimer

12. connico

connico Member

So I finally made it through the whole 1 minute 50 of that original post...

He said something about slave terms??? Is an example master and slave drives?

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

god forbid I ask for a male db9 connecter, or a gender bender.

Bradzac and Zee like this.
  14. shredder

shredder Member

Ideally the email template will also attach the company logo as a jpg to every email.

Best,
    shredder

Attached Files:

15. 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 Member

I get called out for this atleast once a week at work. But when women say it the managers don't dare call them out on it. I say it with no ill meaning it's just a fast and suitable way to reference a group of people without resorting to words like "colleagues, people, them", all of which sound clunking in a fast sentence.

Me: "Even if those guys don't finish the project"
    Manager: Um, 1 moment. You mean "Guys & Girls"

I really think the solution here and part of the problem is that workplace informal language has creeped in. With the sensitivity of the workplace in 2020 we need to revert back to using "excellent language" to avoid what we use commonly with our friends.

I think going forward there will always be someone "offended" if you use slang/informal language. I mean right now I could argue that "daughtercard" is not a fair terminology or that we should stop sellers who use the word "motherboard" in Buy/Sell because the PC term is Mainboard.

Really starts to become walking on eggshells here.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  16. Zee

Zee Member

Or... Kelloggs can mix some cement into their breakfast cereals, and everyone can just harden the fuck up a bit.

Z...

M1ck1, metamorphosis and JSmithDTV like this.
  17. shredder

shredder Member

Here come the patriarchy and their sexist CeMENt!!

Look it's called celgbtqi+t ok boomer.

Zee likes this.
  18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Strewth... no wonder I'm bloody bound up. :Paranoid:

[​IMG]

JSmith

Zee likes this.
  19. Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm of the opinion that this has GOT to be a joke...
    If someone doesn't like the way i refer to them when using everyday language, then they can bite me..!
    As long as I'm not using profane or vulgar language or swearing, then no one has got the right to tell me HOW to talk..
    Telling me i HAVE to be inclusive is taking away my right to not like someone for whatever reason i deem fit.
    My brain is mine and it will not be told how to think by anyone else that doesn't have the right to tell me so...

20. connico

connico Member

I got called out for this a couple of weeks ago. I said in reference to a team of technology removalist, "If those guys don't get their shit together, we are going to have to withhold the current progress claim". One of the clients senior executives perked up and made a power play, "Sorry but you should rephrase that, the use of "guys" is gender specific and we are an inclusive workplace". Of which i responded, "The whole team are male, so the term stands as the team isn't mix gender".