Christ this is embarressing

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by metamorphosis, Dec 9, 2019.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Is Daughtercard even anatomically correct?

The Motherboard has slots on it, and is female.
    My Video card goes into said slots, ergo is male?

should they not be called sonboards?

And you should have shown dominance, by implying that his hiring practices had resulted in a gender imbalance in the workplace.

2. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Funny I never thought about it much, but this is exactly the feeling I get from that signoff - at least 'Sincerely' shows some professionalism, even if the person isn't sincere in the slightest.

That's probably not a bad move - however it makes for a lousy work culture.

I explode-laughed some spit into the screen on that one.

Unfortunately it gets worse. Someone started asking (on twitter) for a gender-neutral term for 'journeyman' - so, ignoring the fact that it's an archaic term that doesn't get used anymore, it seems like the far-left are locked-and-focussed on fixing the plumbing while the house is burning to the ground.

Yes but here on OCAU we frown on male-on-female incest, generally.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Zee likes this.
  3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Stepsonboard, makes it OK.

With Love
    - Pablo

(You can chose the type of love)

Zee likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I found your problem.

CAPT-Irrelevant and Fred Nurk like this.
  5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Maybe male and female cables need to be changed to innies and outties... :Paranoid:

JSmith

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The daughterboard is wearing strapon! Otherwise they would just be sissoring and nothing would work.

Zee likes this.
  7. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

Using "best" is too absolute to be believable/practical, needs to be more cheery, and unambiguous.

1.2 standard deviations above the mean,
    Dingo

elvis likes this.
  8. mtma

mtma Member

I haven't met with a 'Best' yet. Closest I have talked with is Baskin Robbins.
    The lack of thought put into the sign-off really makes it a waste of space. What Sincerely, Regards and Best Regards really means in the workplace is "It's business, not personal".

May as well go with Bis bald for extra confusion.

9. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

The problem is that,
    I'd like to avoid it, but increasingly movements on twitter are respawning out into the natural world, with disastrous consequences. The 'guys' thing started on twitter, and resulted in the video above. I'd like to steer clear of the whole thing, but it's where the conflict is happening, and implicit decisions are being made, for better or for worse.

10. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

My Usual greeting to my team seems safe "Hello Peoples" followed by "yes I consider you all as peoples today".

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

On a personal note, directed very much at you, the above simply isn't true - certainly not at a rate any different to how it's been forever.

If you go looking for things, you'll find them. This is largely in part to what we call the "frequency illusion", or more accurately the Baader-Meinhof effect. It happens to everyone - things you become aware of, you suddenly see *everywhere*.

When my wife fell pregnant with our first child, I started noticing pregnant women everywhere. Suddenly it was like everyone around us was in the same boat, and there was some crazy impregnation epidemic going on. Was that the case? Of course not. But my own frequency illusion, even when I was acutely aware of the concept, was very strong.

If there's two places you're guaranteed to find a lot of idealistic nonsense, it's Twitter and university campuses. Your complaints on these forums constantly refer to these locations. Cherry picking one person in one business offended by one word also isn't a slippery slope nor the end of days. Cherry picking some horse shit on YouTube doesn't signal an epidemic.

You're a good bloke, but you need to chill out. I understand you're facing other issues in your life that impact your perception and ability to deal with these phenomena, and you have enormous sympathy from me for that. But I repeat: chill out. You'll be out of uni soon enough, and in the real world where idealists fall to the wayside because their nonsense doesn't survive when profits matter and pragmatism is mandatory. Twitter is an easy fix - either go nuts with muted words (this is what I do), or just don't go there. If you want to talk tech and avoid the bullshit, there are plenty of avenues to do that.

As a wise person once told me, there's only two things you can control in life: what information you give others, and how you react to information. Really think about that. Your ultimate happiness is in your own hands, and if you go looking for misery, you'll find it. Instead, look for the good, and avoid the bullshit.

[edit]

I also realise the great irony (borderline hypocrisy) in the fact that it's *me* saying this. I'm not unaware of my own faults. But I can also recognise good advice when I see it, even if I fail at following it on the daily.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

... no, this generally isn't how it's working on twitter. It really is the way things are going about. People are talking this way in the C++ programming circles, and it's spooling out into the real world.
    If you're not involved in those communities, I can see how you would think otherwise...

[edit: no, not at uni kid]

13. shredder

shredder Member

According to the stats (taken very simply), approx 1 in 51 of the human population tweets daily, and 1 in 24 tweets monthly.

It's big, but only a minor factor in the world compared to whatever the other 50 or 23 in those stats spend their days doing.

Twitter is media and thus it is subject to all the pros and cons of that smoke and mirrors industry.

Also they say males are twice as represented on Twitter as females. That's always a red flag too, that something is seriously "off" about the whole thing.

14. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Interesting - I didn't know that was the case for twitter - knew it was skewed for youtube (to male), and instagram (to female).