Chrome in a spray can

Discussion in 'Modding' started by aussie64, Nov 20, 2008.

1. aussie64

aussie64 Member

On a forage at the local hardware store I saw cans of gold and silver spray on chrome and had a flash back to 1981 when as first year apprentices we asked a tradesman into modding cars his thoughts.

Have things improved in the last 25+ years? Why did I bother remembering that after all these years?

Google shows the American brands using a black base coat, followed by the chrome, buffing and then clear coat on the top.

White Knight which is I think the brand at the hardware store is more like slap it on as long as you do minimal prep and have same undercoat/previous paint with no mention of buffing or needing clear coat, it is mentioned that you can clear over if you want to.

While I like the minimal effort for maximum results approach I have a feeling White Knight are telling fibs about the results. I would think buffing then clear coating would give the best result?

2. Spectre8

Spectre8 Member

Generally speaking, you'll always get what you pay for.

While there will be some tech advances in materials/solvents, it will generally come down to the fact that you're putting a coat of paint on a surface. Have a good surface prepared well, (and here's the critical element) execute the application appropriately, and you may well get a perfectly satisfactory end result.

Bottom line is that if you expect maximum result for minimal effort - it'll likely end up looking like that.

Best bet is to experiment, and just try it out. You can often get great results from average products if you put the effort in. My experience is that a "chrome" spray will end up looking like silver paint... but that's not always a bad thing either :)

3. power

power Member

if it's metal why not get real chrome plating? You can always just go a quote.

dunno what city you are in (pro-tip put it in your profile!)

quick google pulled this one up in brissie.

http://www.queensland-electroplating.com.au/

4. ipex

ipex Member

last time i checked out chroming was when i was making fish rods rests ,rang up a few quotes for chroming charged by the kilo was going to cost me more then what it was worth

5. power

power Member

but imagine the results!

6. matttai

matttai Member

my last experience with chrome spray was that they turn out silver. plating is the only real way to go. if you want results you have to pay the money!