Chromecast thread

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by alexb618, Oct 15, 2020.

1. alexb618

alexb618 Member

thought there would be a thread about the new chromecast with remote/gtv etc

releases tomorrow 15 oct

2. OP
    OP
    alexb618

alexb618 Member

new chromecast $99, way better than my apple tv 4k... especially the remote

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I didn't even know there was a new one, heard absolutely nothing about it. Well there you go, will do some research now.

alexb618 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    alexb618

alexb618 Member

its good, nice remote (better than the putrid apple tv touch pad thing). similar in that it is just a big aggregator for all your linked streaming services. ill be keeping my apple tv because chromecast is not powerful enough for zwift, but for tv stuff the chromecast is a way better deal.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Cool, ok will have a look into it for interests sake. Don't really need anything but I've always liked the Chromecasts for ease and usability. They are pretty solid devices.

6. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i'm still not sold on the Chromecast idea, unless it has built in apps

i much rather not having to have a phone/tablet handy to be able to watch stuff on my TV

7. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

The new Chromecast with TV has the apps installed on it and has its own remote. You do not need to use a phone to cast to it.

I disliked the previous models of Chromecast but this model is very good.

Stooge007 likes this.
  8. flain

flain Member

I had two on preorder and have replaced a Roku on one of my old TVs and have a spare to replace a amazon fire stick my parents have.

So far pretty good, it's basically just Android TV. In terms of playback it handles 4K 60fps without any problems. In terms of video playback support its pretty good, but audio support is lacking in some areas if you use Plex/Emby at all. For example it wasn't able to play files i had with audio like dolby 6.1 without transcoding to it. However DTS 5.1 works fine.

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I think its a mistake to continue calling it chromecast, it's way more useful now than it used to be

10. Doso

Doso Member

I've got the new one I think people are calling it "Chromecast with GoogleTV" but yeah I agree they should have called it something else because it is way more powerful

Best thing for me is that it's got bluetooth so I can pair my wireless headphones to it directly and have wireless audio

Also I have paired my PS4 controller..... just need to figure out how to side load an emulator for some games :)

11. asho444

asho444 Member

Get a Google home mini, can control what your playing where to skip to all sorts of stuff on Netflix and Stan, no Disney or prime support tho

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Google TV with chromecast seems like a no-brainer really...

As above, that's exactly what this device is

13. Doso

Doso Member

The new chromecast remote has a microphone built into it, if you want to control it with your voice

not sure why you would do that when you have a remote?

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

As mentioned above, somewhat confusing naming on this new product, as it'll be renamed shortly.

The old Chromecast was indeed all cast - you needed some other device to send things to the chromecast.

The new model is in the process of being renamed and marketed as "Google TV" (merging the previous Chromecast and Android TV features). It's a full blown standalone device, can have apps installed on it, can be controlled from a dedicated remote like a standalone player, and can even use Bluetooth game controllers to play Google Stadia.

It still has the "cast" features if you want them, which I personally still do like from time to time (searching and navigating using my phone is sometimes far quicker than using a remote for short form media like YouTube, rather than long form media like Netflix movies). But I agree that a standalone device with remote is also nice, and has the benefit of turning any monitor or "dumb TV" (or even newer "smart TVs" that have rubbish interfaces) into a fully functioning "smart TV".

Voice control is rubbish for non-mainstream stuff. When I'm searching YouTube for retro Japanese arcade games or specific model hardware, voice control can't make heads nor tails out of it. Sometimes a keyboard (even on a mobile phone) is a godsend.

However if all you're doing is consuming mainstream media, voice or ye olde remote is probably fine.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Stooge007 likes this.
  15. Tinian

Tinian Member

That would thrill my wife - me "yelling" instructions at the TV while wearing headphones while she tries to read or sleep. :lol:

elvis and Doso like this.
  16. asho444

asho444 Member

easier to say, cast south park scott tenermen must die than navigating to it

17. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

ah ok, that makes much more sense

will def look into these things then, rather than a 4k Apple TV

18. Doso

Doso Member

Yep totally agree...

with the new Chromecast Remote, you just hold down the button on the remote and say "south park scott tenermen must die"

you don't need to say "Hey Google" or "Cast" also if you have multiple displays in your home (ie. multiple chromecasts etc) you might need to say the "on the living room TV" or something to that effect

while I have had it working (chromecast and a google home) it can be a little hit or miss, the new chromecast remote on the other hand works perfectly

19. flain

flain Member

They did make the install pretty slick - it detected my other android TV in my house and asked me if i wanted all the same apps installed, i picked yes and it went ahead and installed them. So all the local TV channel streaming apps, kodi, plex, emby, prime, netflix etc

You can also pair a bluetooth controller and sideloading works to get emulators going. For fun I tested most retro consoles up to dreamcast, plays PS1 fine but with dreamcast some games play smooth, others it just doesn't have the grunt for.

If only it had support for more audio codecs it would be perfect. Not sure if they will add support for them in software in future or not. Seeing as it's not a real issue for the legit streaming services, probably not.

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I just asked my Google remote to search for the video game "Boku no Natsuyasumi". No dice.

As above, great for mainstream stuff. Not so great for niche stuff. So as much as I'm happy the voice commands are there for lots of content, I'm also happy that I can still use my phone or PC when I need to.