Cisco 6120xp / 5010 flaky console?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by DivHunter, Jun 28, 2021.

1. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

I know bugger all about cisco networking.

So naturally I picked up a 6120xp with the intention to convert it to a Nexus 5010 as the first thing I would ever do. What could possibly go wrong?

I have the required firmware and mostly understood the process with the required steps from reddit however I have had an enormous amount of trouble completing the steps because the CLI locks up / drops characters and generally is super shit and frustrating.

What I am trying to work out is if I have done something dumb (besides attempt this at all) that is causing my console woes.

I am connecting to the system via a HPE DL360p with the serial cable plugged in. It is running Proxmox with minicom installed. I am connecting through Terminus but tried the console in Proxmox as well. I configured the com port as per cisco's docs. At first it looked like I would sail through and have a far too power hungry and excessively long and loud 10GBe switch.

The first lock ups occurred when trying to send the commands for the tftp transfers, not do the transfer but type out the whole command. However I got through them (copied both files twice I think or not at all?). I got to the last steps to set the new files as the default boot and....invalid command?!?

I tried to redo the entire process but had an even more difficult time constantly having to reconnect to see what was going on or be able to type and see what I was typing or to complete typing a command however reconnecting would give me different results where I may or may not see what I had typed or where I was. There is also truncated/overlapping (as in text will start before it should and cut off other text) all the time.

Is it just a borked old unit? Did I break it? Is it recoverable? Why am I doing this?

It currently goes straight to the loader probably because I did not get to complete the last step. Problem being it is now at it's worst console wise.

TL;DR What emulator should I be connecting with to ensure it's a system thing not a me thing? How do I clean up any images on the system to have only the Nexus 5000 firmware on there?

2. OP
    OP
    DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Well this thread has gone well.

It appears that some commands can be sent and run but I can't see what I am typing or all of the result. Pretty sure it's a faulty unit so uh coffee table I guess?

3. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

usually poor console is a result of wrong console settings, bodgy cable or bodgy usb-serial converters

i usually use serial sufficient to get telnet access and do bigger config there

of you have never consoled into anything id work out what works for your enviroment know working console setup ive got old laptops around JUST for a known good console setups

4. OP
    OP
    DivHunter

DivHunter Member

I did manage to get this working and convert to a 5010 after I had already replaced it with an ICX-6110-48P.

It simply came good after a couple of unrelated restarts of the HP 360p and the 6120. It now seems to function perfectly but is of 0 use with it's size and power draw unless I needed an emergency 20 10G ports.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021