Cities: Skylines

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by meDZ, Mar 8, 2015.

1. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

I had SLI disabled. It's also at 4K resolution. Hmm will check in a min

2. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

Was the antialiasing at 4K resolution killing it as it does. Runs fine now! Screenshot approaching, please hold (14mb).

3. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

[​IMG]

My first play through the game. Don't really get it all but this looks like it's going to be fun. I used to play Simcity like crazy!

4. Frag_Lord

Frag_Lord Member

Just got it last night from steam, downloaded and all ready to play. Have watched a bunch of videos and it looks great. Cannot wait!

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I'm hoping to get some serious city building happening tonight. :thumbup: Will post screenies <3

EDIT: Anyone know how to share Steam screenshots? Previously I could grab the steam hosted image and link it :(

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  6. whirlybomber

whirlybomber Member

A specific question about pedestrian paths

So I have a few hours on the game now, and have my second city up to ~145k population. I'm playing on a map with a bunch of rivers that you cannot run a subway under, so I have developed a bunch of traffic jams going over the bridges. I have some Freight stations connected to the external linked railway, but due to train-jams in my first city I had avoided passenger trains until now.

So I have got to the point where the traffic jams are eating my Hearses time up and I cannot clear the bodies from my cities, and I'm sick of blamming buildings that are abandoned because a body went unclaimed. I am using the "better AI" mod for service vehicles, but nothing else.

So to try and fix this issue, I've now put in three passenger stations on their own dedicated rail network (so they don't have to interact with over-spawning freight trains) to try and carry the Pax over the rivers between my separated subway systems.

And now I have a specific question about the passenger stations. I saw a post on steam, saying you can link to the back of a station with a path, and people will use it to walk in and out both sides of the station. This is useful to reduce the distance they have to walk around, so making a train journey more attractive (and lessening the number of car trips). So I want to do this where possible. But it only worked on one of my three stations.

Whut?

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

If you look at the first two stations, you can see the little footpath on the back of the station is not linked up, but the third one is. I've tried doing all the things I can think of like removing roads and zoning from around the first two to make them more like the third, but no luck.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Could it be as simple as where the people want to go? In your first, 2, they are waiting for a train that is going one way, and in the 3rd, their destination is in the opposite direction?

Ride out a couple of death waves, and let the abandoned building rebuild naturally, it will get you a better spread of ages across your city, and help prevent future ones. Hopefully one of the variable age mods get integrated into vanilla, and the problem (caused by all your dudes being moving it at around the same time, and being the same age when they move in, causing them all to die at the same time) will just go away.

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Got a feel for this game last Friday night, but have decided to hold off from playing any more until the next update, as they're planing on introducing... Tunnels. :leet:

Until then, back to hitting up the tubes!

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Time to boot this up again for the weekend, as a content patch is being released in a day or so. :thumbup::thumbup:

Specifically, car tunnels & rail tunnels. No pedestrian tunnels unfortunately.

10. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Patch is out.

Lots of new stuff added for free. 72 new buildings including wall to wall buildings like they have in Europe. TUNNELS!!! TUNNELS!!!! 3 new maps, option to invert mouse Y axis, lotsa bug fixes and additions to the asset editor. Paradox is becoming my new fav publisher.

11. -stanna

-stanna Member

taken from official site, includes pics!

12. riccoo

riccoo Member

is this game like simcity?>

13. r8response

r8response Member

It's a city building game.

Much better than SimCity 5

14. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

The new building styles haven't been received well amongst the forum critics, as it seems the European styled buildings are tied to an entire maps (not all maps either). Most players seemed to have wanted to be able to apply a building style via a district in all maps, which makes perfect sense to me...

I really hope CO can address this, as districts are a powerful tool and are perfect for functions, such as applying/restricting building visual styles & facades.

Regardless, I'll hopefully plug away at this tonight. Beer in hand. :)

15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

It's been some time since a game has held me until way past my bed time. I placed my first tunnel just now, and it was really satisfying. No need for landscaping, just line the road up, and drop the height and off it goes. :thumbup::thumbup:

16. [AOB]TommO

[AOB]TommO Member

I'll have to check out the tunnels, played a lot of this game when it first came out :)

17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

This is my favourite type of intersection, a single carriage road that changes into dual carriage for a Y intersection. I'm yet to see it under a serious heavy load as I'm still experimenting, but I'm thinking it'll do well.

Note the pedestrian walkways too. :)

[​IMG]

18. pippin88

pippin88 Member

Bought this a few days ago, it's not bad.

Traffic is the hardest issue.

However, I find that once you get a city going, the overall game is very easy. Money just keeps rolling in. I spend most of my time trying to tweak roads...

19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Pew pew pew, new patch is out!
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...to-save-train-fix-more-1-1-1b-is-here.867193/

20. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015