Citrix XenApp 6 - Published Desktop - Performance

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Rampage101, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

Hi Guys,

We've got a XenApp 6 setup that we are running here at work for around 80+ users, and we are having performance dramas. Many users are complaining about the speed of the system. I've been looking into what is causing the issues but so far all I can work out is that the XA servers are overloaded.

Setup:
    * XenApp 6
    * 7 XA Virtual Servers, 2008R2 SP1, running 2vCPU's, 8GB RAM, 40GB disks with profiles and 99% of data stored on file server(s).
    * Wyse C90LEW thin clients
    * 4 XenServer 6 hosts, 2x 64GB and 8 CPU's (E7340's), 1x 48GB and 8 CPU's (E7340's), 1x 48GB and 16 CPU's (E5345's)

I guess I'm just looking for what I should be looking for or ways to test what is actually causing the issues. It has always been an issue, we run the following software:
    Lotus Notes 8.5.1 Basic
    Office 2010
    Internet Explorer
    TRIM (although we haven't yet gone Live)
    our main LOB app is through IE8, which 70% of staff always have open.

2. luke o

luke o Member

End users and definition of slow is hard to pin down. They don't know the difference between a graphical problem, versus a CPU bottleneck versus a bandwidth issue over the network.

I think you need to do some hands on demos with the staff, watch them over remote desktop and have them tell you what's slow at the same time.

while you do this record or watch CPU and network utilisation. Resource monitor is good for this or task manager in a pinch.

once they show you the problems then you can narrow down the cause.

3. RiMeS

RiMeS Member

One word: Edgesight

4. Mac

Mac Member

Run the same tasks/workflows on a physical end user desktop as well to get your baseline.

5. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

What sort of comms link is in place between the servers and the thin clients? Speed?

6. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

What kind of slow? Typing on screen and characters appear 2 seconds later slow?

Hope your a citrix service provider or have platinum licensing, because as rimes said you need edgesight - its going to tell you immediately what is wrong!

How do you know the xenapp servers are overloaded? You run qfarm /load?

Depending on what load evals. you have configured (hint: configure them!).......... download queryds, run it on a poor performing XA server (start > run > cmd > queryds /table:LMS serverloadtable), check here for what they mean.

I think thats a good start...alternately, use edgesight to skip all that stuff :)

could be lower level - are your virtual hosts overcommitted? what about your SAN config. and performance?? other (non XA) VM performance?

7. OP
    OP
    Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

OK, we have access to EdgeSight, so I'll have a look into that.

Network is 100mb on HP Procurve PoE switches, but the servers are all on D-Link Gigabit switches (2 1000mb ports bonded in X/S)

I have wondered if we were getting to the point of bottlenecking the network, I'll have to look more into this one.

qfarm /load and we have most servers sitting around ~4500, not sure if that is good/bad (haven't had time to research fully today).

We do have a load eval policy that seems to work correctly (it seems to evenly spread the load over all servers anyway)

Other VM's seem adequate for their intended purpose, so not 100% sure there. How much does a pagefile get hit? As I imagine this would be a large part of the problem if SAN related?

8. b00n

b00n Member

nothing in eventlogs like picadm, havent thought about dropping user policys to not have twain/audio pass through? if enabled

wyse device have the latest firmware? i have had a issue where the wyse device at 32bit colour would start corrupting the display in large excel spreadsheets are a while of use, changed to 16bit and was fine for a while. i have now replaced all wyse devices to hp t5740s in my 100 user farm

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012