CL16 2666 vs 3200

Discussion in 'Memory' started by the_antipop, Sep 8, 2018.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Hi there,
    I currently have the Ryzen build in my sig (1700, Asrock B350 Pro4 etc.)
    The main issue I am facing is my ram. The ram only works effectively in single channel mode, not dual channel. As soon as you enter dual channel, windows only states that half is usable. It is also very finicky to get the ram to overclock to 2800.

Now, I believe it is a ram issue (the single channel), therefore I am hoping to I can get a refund at MSY. The current kit I have is a Kingston HyperX 2x 8GB 2666 CL6 kit. I am looking at purchasing a GeIL EVO POTENZA 2x 8GB 3200 CL6 kit. I have done some reading, I believe it is Ryzen compatible (see here). Is it a worthwhile trade? If MSY are able to refund me full price, the difference will be less than $10...

Any advice would be awesome.

2. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I would swap to a 3200 C16 kit simple because Ryzen CPU benefits greatly from high speed and low latency RAM, do make sure the memory kit is on the QVL though if you do not wish so much time tuning the memory.

3. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

And thus lies the problem, the only GeIL memory listed on my motherboard's QVL list is a 2133 kit. Nothing else, which seems ludicrous, particularly with the multitude of bios updates. I have contacted ASRock for more information.

4. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

the antipop, have you seen Ryzen DRAM Calculator thread over here