1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic G15 Keyboard Revival (worklog)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by nicknewpants, Nov 8, 2013.

1. nicknewpants

nicknewpants Member

So this is my first time modding something in terms of computers and thought id share it with you all :)

Also i'm not 100% sure on how to get this into the worklog section if it's required to be there, but if a mod could help that would be great.

So I have had a classic Blue G15 keyboard for 6 years or sonow and love it to bits, but is a bit worse for wear as of late, and have contemplated cleaning it and respraying it for a while.

So this is what I got up to today. First of all this is how it was before I started;

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

So first steps is of course pulling it apart. Getting the keys out was the biggest nightmare, but got there eventually.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Now...... this was the delicious part of pulling it apart, seeing what has gathered over the 6 years I've had it.

Click to view full size!

And then after a good clean with a toothbrush; (also gave all keys a good clean while they were out, as with the rest of the trim of the keyboard.

Click to view full size!

Then gave it a good sanding, started with 180, moved on to 400, and then wet sanded it with some 600.

Click to view full size!

And this is how it stands at the moment after a coat or two of paint, have run out of daylight so will finish it off tomorrow hopefully.
    I decided to only paint the main grey section as that is wear all the wear has occurred, and thought it could do with a colour change.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Ahh, you can't kill G15's. Always wanted a blue one, settled on an orange one a few years ago. Now trying out a G19 which I'll be buying because I can't stand the look of the G19S, it's fugly. If it had mechanical keys or any actual upgrades, sure, I'd look past the aesthetics, but it doesn't, so I won't.

Mini rant over, nice worklog so far!

3. OP
    OP
    nicknewpants

nicknewpants Member

Ok so day 2. Nearly done just waiting for it to dry fully before reassembling.

Was able to coat on a couple more coats of the colour, and then applied the gloss nice and heavily as the colour coat was quite flaky and needed to make sure it had a smooth finish.

Has a few blemishes but thats what you get doing an amateur spray job outside.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

4. sskmercer

sskmercer Member

Nice work, wished i kept my G15 now lol instead of throwing it out after i got my Corsair K95. Looking forward to seeing finished results mate.

5. sjp770

sjp770 Member

What are you going to do about the fading LED backlights and wearing keys? At least thats the issue with mine..

6. OP
    OP
    nicknewpants

nicknewpants Member

My LED's seem to be fine as far as i'm aware. I do know about the key fading, but mine is very insignificant and I just left them with a good clean.

The main aim of this was the clean the inside of the keyboard and all nooks and cranny's, removing all the human grime that has accumulated, and repainting the main face plate.

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  8. OP
    OP
    nicknewpants

nicknewpants Member

Already started reassembling so too late now :p
    They really arent that bad anyway.

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

7-11 will have them. and only need to soak for a short time .... just saying. :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    nicknewpants

nicknewpants Member

Sadly while putting it all back together i was unable to reconnect the screen which I loved so dearly, which is a shame, but I'm sure i will survive without it. Only used it for time anyway.

Love how it turned out though, will post pictures when I can get decent ones.

11. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

If you ever get the urge to mod a k/b again (or reference for anyone else), Photoelectric over at geekhack has an excellent thread on painting plastics, in fact anything.

12. t3h

t3h Member

My G15 had the column of keys from R downwards die. My G19 had the USB hub chip die in it, so it gives a USB overcurrent error whenever you plug it in..

13. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

I've had the original G15, G15v2 & G19. Nothing beats the original G15 tbh, I still have mine in the shed but it's had some serious use & the LCD screen no longer works. I absolutely hated the G15v2 so I gave it away & the G19 was nice.. but cost far too much & came with some bulky software/addons in order for it to work with simple programs. Nice progress on your G15 though:thumbup:

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Logitech G710 XD

15. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

16. BADBOYBUBBY

BADBOYBUBBY Member

Subscribed

Mine looks like it shedding its skin :Paranoid:

17. Siggi

Siggi Member

Screen is relatively easy to attach if nothing is broken and you know what you're doing. Should take less than 5 minutes.

Once you've removed all the screws, gently pry of the black edging around the lcd monitor. Fold the lcd monitor out to a 90 degree angle to allow enough access to the ribbon connector.

On the board, there should be a small white rectangle with a brown surrounding. This is where the ribbon plugs in. Using a pair of tweezers, lift up each brown corner of the socket, about 2mm, until it feels loose. Then you just have to guide the ribbon into the socket, push down on both corners of the brown part, and it should work fine.

On both keyboards I've had, there was corrosion on the mylar traces. All that needed to be done was gently clean the connector ribbon with some alcohol and a toothbrush, and that fixed the problem of missing keys. The one I'm typing on now is getting dull, and could do with the LEDs replaced. I must say though, with all the extra features this board has I don't think I've used any of them. Closest I got was using the macro buttons to store up insults.

Anybody still using this board to great effect?

18. Fragasaurus

Fragasaurus Member

Don''t suppose you have a reference pic of the corrosion? A couple of the keys have dropped out on my G15 and I would dearly love them back :)

19. shizmo

shizmo Member

I just upgraded my trusty g15 to a G710+, I am going to revive the old girl also :thumbup:

Great idea.

20. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

It's corrosion - there is no "reference pic" that will be specifically show what is wrong with yours

http://i.stack.imgur.com/YXUIL.jpg

To clean it, use a standard white pencil eraser and rub until all metal surfaces are.