cleaning out icloud photos library

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by alchemy, Sep 16, 2018.

1. alchemy

alchemy Member

hey all :)

i have a 50gb icloud account and with all the pictures i have taken over the years it is now full. i don't want to stump up the extra $3/mo for a bigger account for a bunch of old pictures that i don't look at, so i want to export all the pictures from last year & older onto a backup drive and then delete them from icloud to free up space. i am running an iphone x and a macbook pro.

in typical apple fashion this seems to be a bit harder than i'd hope it could be. below is how i am thinking about doing it

1. ensure photos app on mac is fully synced with icloud
    2. export all pictures from photos app, copy across to backup drive
    3. delete old pictures from photos app
    4. hooray heaps of icloud space

is this going to work or is there something that'll get in my way??

sorry if this seems like a simple question but i have spent a couple of hours trying to figure it out and bulk exporting/deleting from icloud seems very hard to do.

thanks!

dan

2. damo13579

damo13579 Member

Yep, follow those steps and you should be right.

3. everybodies

everybodies Member

Hey,
    Had a similar situation a while back. Big mess of iCloud photos.
    What I did is right click on library and view contents. Copied all photos in a directory fashion. Backed up photo library package.
    Worked on the directory structure and deleted a ton. Then created a new library and imported the edited photos in the directory structure. The result was quite good

Also if have High Sierra get the caching service going in sharing, it really helps sync devices