Cleaning up a PC

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by leftarc, Nov 22, 2019.

1. leftarc

leftarc Member

Hi,
    I am cleaning up my Dad's estate, of which are a few computers. All running Windows 7. I want to clean them up and give them away, but want to remove all personal data first. The issue in the clean up I think the OEM disks were thrown out. Is there way of deleting all the data off them, but still keep the OS?
    Cheers,
    leftarc

2. power

power Member

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At what level do you want to "delete" them?

4. FOTW

FOTW Member

A couple of ways you can do this. The easiest way would be as mentioned above running the windows 10 update assistant. Select the option to remove everything including programs and files. Once this has completed install ccleaner and run the data wiper on free space this will write random data over all space that is allocated as being free. Choose what ever option you prefer I just select the first one I think it just does the 1 wipe however I think you can go all the way up to 7 wipes this takes ages though especially if its a large hard drive.

If the machines have recovery partitions built into the machine you can also restore machines to factory state, once this has been done set up and run drive wipe of free space again. Usually you can enter recovery mode by pressing one of the Function keys while machine is booting. Look up the model of computer and see which one it is for example on most HP\Compaq machines its F11.

If the machines have windows 7 product keys on side you can use a windows 7 install disc or USB key to format the hard drive and re-install the OS from scratch. Then activate the OS with product key, again perform data wipe on free space with ccleaner.

Also you can just remove and physically destroy drives. Let whoever you give the PCs too find their own hard drives entry SSDs are so cheap now it wouldn't be a huge cost to anyone, plus they will get the performance increase of the SSD

5. Skexis

Skexis Member

Another option is to download the Win 7 installation files from MS and use something like Rufus to make a bootable USB drive. Then just reinstall Win 7 and choose a fresh install rather than a repair.

6. wwwww

wwwww Member

OEM version? Just download Windows 10 from MS, install it with your Windows 7 key.

7. spit051261

spit051261 New Member

Full clean install of Windows 10 is your best bet .
    Make sure you have all your drivers handy otherwise you will have to run some dodgy software to get all your drivers before you begin .
    Windows will put most of them in in but you may have some obscure hardware .

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019