Clone a small SSD to a Larger one.

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by KANNIS, Jan 15, 2020.

1. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Hey dudes, can you guys recommend the best way of doing this? I want to go from my 500gig to a 1tb SSD. I have one of those external cloning devices Orico Dual bay, but I tried doing this a while back with a 250gig SSD to 500gig SSD and the cloned copy pretty much became another 250gig.

So I started fresh and reinstalled everything.

I want the cloned copy to show 1TB not 500TB as per the source.

Cheers.

2. power

power Member

is it a SS? They come with some sw you can use for this.

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

When the destination drive is bigger than the source, you'd still need to then expand the partition created on the destination once the cloning is done. It doesn't just automatically expand itself.

4. power

power Member

99 percent of half decent cloning sw is perfectly capable of exactly that.

5. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Really? Crap, every time I buy a SSD I never check whats on it. I'll have a look tonight then...

6. power

power Member

7. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I vaguely remember going into disk manager (after cloning ) and trying this from the 250SSD to 500SSD clone and it wouldn't allow me to expand it last time.

8. power

power Member

that is a bit odd, you should be able to expand the partition from diskmgmt.msc

9. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

To clarify, I'm speaking on terms of offline-cloning devices, which is what I thought OP was referring to. I probably misread.

11. power

power Member

true, i don't have much to do with those. they seem usefulish. although yeah i have heard they don't expand partitions.

12. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Half the time when you can't expand it's because the other volume is left raw and you need to format/clean it first, before expanding.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

So let's say I cloned the original to the 1TB tonight and the 1TB dropped to 500gig. (With both drives still connected to the Orico dual bay) If I then format the original in disk manager, this should allow the new SSD to expand?

14. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

https://superuser.com/questions/920...ing-why-isnt-it-allocating-remainder-of-space

Once you do the clone, you'll probably find in disk management that there's a black section that you'll need to format first, then you can expand the original partition.

philquad, power and KANNIS like this.
  15. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

i use hdclone
    https://www.miray.de/download/hdclone.html - free version

free edition while limited on speed allows for up sizing partitions during clone

i use the pro version (yes i bought it but i use it all of the time as im a pc tech)

other than that i used to use hirens boot usb and clone and then use the AOMEI Partition Assistant (also on hirens) to resize the partition after clone.
    https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    mount to a usb with rufus and boot from it and clone and then reboot and boot from hirens and then resize - all completely free to use

before that i used an old dodgy version of Norton Ghost, but piracy is bad....

16. OP
    OP
    KANNIS

KANNIS Member

OK I did it last night. Used the Orico to clone the smaller SSD to a larger one. Anyway I plugged it in after cloning and as I expected it didn't show the full capacity of the SSD. Disk manager would not let me extend the drive, it was greyed out. I downloaded one of the software recommended above by you guys (cant remember which one) The software also would not let me extend the drive.

The SSD had 4 sectors?? (not sure how to word this) Backup Sector / Main sector 225gig / some random sector of about 48mb or something / Un-allocated sector
    (I'm calling this sectors as I don't know the correct terminology)

So anyway I had to delete the random sector first in order to shift the un-allocated sector next to the main sector. It then allowed me to extend to full capacity.

Very happy :) :)

I can't get over how easy it is to increase your SSD size these days. Gone are the days of spending countless hours reformatting & reinstalling everything. Just awesome.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    FOTW likes this.