Clone HDD to SSD (software/duplicator recommend)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Rubie, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Rubie

Rubie New Member

Hi guys,
    There is a question that is frequently asked, which is “how to clone hdd to ssd in the easiest way”, specially for those who want to upgrade there old HDD to SSD or those who needs to backup before reinstalling.
    I worked as a new techs, and I often have to copy or replace broken hard drives, and I've used some tools which are useful, so I thought it'll be helpful to share here to help someone who happened to have this kind of problem.
    First, there are different ways, depending what you needs, including backup software which claimed to be used specially for hdd to ssd or hardware like duplicator, so here are some suggestions for you.

About the software
    There are actually more and more companies provide free software online these days, and I have used EaseUs, AOMEI Backupper and Clonezilla(but it's Chinese website:p) for personal use before, because they're free. The pros not just because they're free, but also some of them can do ssd alignment. However, there is one thing you need to noticed before cloning, which is the capacity of the source cannot be bigger than the targets, so it would need another software to resize the source, and some of the software have both these function. Also, there is a problem that probably occurs when you copy the booting and restart hard drive to another, it's probably failed and needs usb to operate.

About hardware device
    There are two options, buying an external drive or buying a hard drive duplicator. I usually used to use a hard drive duplicator in company(BTW, I have used EZ Dupe duplicator, and it performed well so far.), although it might be a traditional way, and needs time to prying hard drives out of computers, but it did have some pros,
    1. It's one of the simplest way and fastest way. Just push few button, wait for minutes and it would complete, then you can loaded to the new computer directly. It would be the same as what you used before, which means you don't have to set up your computer again.
    2. Without computer, it would not occupied your computer's CPU, so you can do your own work. However, the biggest cons is that it's a bit pricey, and it usually cost about US40 dollars for 1 to 1 duplicator on amazon, even up to US300 dollar for a good one with more functions.
    I have used this 1 to 1 HDD duplicator before, I'm quite satisfied with the speed, and it also has compare function, which means that it would confirm the copy result after copying.
    As my recommendation, if you're a MIS in SME, or you just too lazy to use the software, then, duplicator seems a good choice for you. For general user or for personal use, 1 to 1 hard drive duplicator is quite enough.
    BTW, here is a tutorial for the 1 to 1 duplicator I mentioned above, I think it's quite useful. Here

Determining what you prefer, speed? Easy to use? Or price?
    The software are much more accessible, and more and more easy to operate nowadays, but it usually needs time and knowing how to operate, and how to solve the problem when it failed.
    If you just want to backup the hard drive before reinstall, than you should probably get a 2TB external drive and temporarily store files there while loading the OS, I think it would be the most efficient way.
    On the other hand, the duplicator needs money to exchange the time and operating skills.
    After all, the way I suggest is just for personal use or small business, if you are not one of them, then you probably think it's useless for you.
    Hope this is helpful, maybe I'll post some tutorial which is more specific.

2. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

The easiest I've used is drive snapshot. http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

1 Copy your OS drive from WITHIN your running windows OS to a file.
    2 Then restore it to SSD.
    3 Then change the boot order.

No fucking around with bootdisks = win.

There are some minor limitations like the inability to shrink partitions, but they're pretty minor and not usually likely from HDD > SSD.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

I use Veeam Backup and Recovery - but its not direct.

4. Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

Macrium Reflect - Disk to disk, can resize and SSD alignment.