cloning a SD card CID and all?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by xc351, Sep 7, 2012.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

well i want to make a perfec back up of my sd card CID card and all so in case my card gets damaged i can write it onto a new card CID and all

any programs or wasy to do this?

2. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

What is on the card? If I may ask?

Is there any reason the CID has to be copied as well???

3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

You can't, at least officially. The SD card spec defines that the CID can be written exactly once, and that happens when the card is manufactured. Essentially, it's PROM - there's no erase functionality.

Apparently some cheap cards may or may not follow the spec perfectly, and then it appears that "CMD26" (ref) is what you need. I don't know of any programs to write the CID; it's very possible that most card readers can't even send the relevant command because it's so unlikely to work. In that case you'd need an Arduino or something similar to do it manually.

4. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Navitronics. I just don't like the idea of having $400 of maps on a card in a kayak.

I beleave navitronics will charge $200 to replace a card that breaks.

Yea a cheap card would work. I'm happy to use what ever to do it.

5. SLATYE

In that case, I'd invest in an Arduino Uno (or similar) and a shield that contains an SD card socket, figure out how to send a basic "change CID to xxxx" command, then go on eBay and buy a bunch of cheap SD cards.

With that said, SD cards are pretty close to indestructable. I'll be shocked if you ever manage to break the original one by accident.

6. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Yea I'll have to look into it further. I used to use a ad card as my uni drive as I use work laptops and my 2. But the sd card failed and I lost a lot of uni mine u it was a cheap scandisc card but still.

$400 worth of maps on a $2 card in a saltwater environment just seem crazy

7. TaroT

TaroT Member

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

i don't know if it will work but i have created images of usb drives etc with this and restored them fine so since it's free it's worth a shot.
    and this is the only program i have that actually does it (that i know of)

8. SLATYE

That should certainly copy the data. My preferred option is a Linux live CD and dd, but either should be fine.

However, neither will copy the CID. That's not part of the "storage" part of the SD card, and cannot be directly accessed by the recovery/backup tools.

9. Bucky101

Bucky101 Member

did anyone ever get this going?