Cloning with Acronis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Carcin0Genic, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

So im trying to clone my raid0 on to another hdd for backup.
    Im booting into acronis to do this, and it is saying it completed the clone successfully, but when i look at the report the target drive has nothing in the 'system reserved particion, whereas the source drive has ~25MB there.

The problem is where i try to boot of the target drive i get a windows repair screen saying I have to repair before i can boot. What would i need to repair? It should be a CLONE.

Additional info:
    The source is raid0 (vertex 3 120gb x 2).
    The target drive is a 500gb wd blue laptop hdd.
    When booting i still have the raid connected (could this cause problems?).
    For once i actually paid for a program based on alot of recommendations, so i must be doing something wrong lol.

2. JoolzD

JoolzD Member

If you have a windows disc, boot from it and do a startup repair. It should fix things. It will only take a couple of minutes.

I have used Acronis a lot in the last few years and found it to be very good. I have cloned Raid-1 to Raid-1 with it just fine but have never tried to clone Raid-0. Looks like it didn't copy the boot sector for some reason.

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

are you telling acronis to clone the disk or to clone the volume (partition)?

if you tell it to clone the disk then it should clone all volumes on that disk.

4. OP
    OP
    Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Telling it to clone the disk.
    The source raid has a c: partition and a 'system reserved' partition.
    Both partitions and being cloned, but the sys reserved partition is empty on the target disk.
    Will try repairing it with the windows disk when i find it, but should i really need to be doing that?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  5. JoolzD

JoolzD Member

Do you have extra hard drives other than the SSDs in Raid-0?
    Are you sure the boot sector was on the Raid-0? It's not unusual for a windows installation to put it on a different hard drive when more than one is installed.

6. OP
    OP
    Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

I do have a 1tb hdd which is not in the raid.
    The sys res partition is defiantly on the raid. Double checked that.
    Will try to clone again when j get home soon. Maybe third time lucky.

7. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

when you try to boot to the target drive for the first time after cloning make sure that there are no other drives plugged in.

8. bob(nz)

bob(nz) Member

Check disk management tools in windows - is the new raid set as an "active partition"? This could be why its not booting from the new setup :)

9. OP
    OP
    Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

It blue screened twice. :confused: The third time it went to the start up repair screen :thumbdn:

There is no new raid. Current C: is a raid, but im trying to clone that to a standard run of the mill 2.5" hdd.
    But yes, my normal C: is set as active partition, see above reply. Unless im not understanding something?

I really want to clone, just for the sake of if something goes wrong, i can just put my hdd in and its go time. But I think i might have to look at other ways of backing up, using acronis (paid for it, might aswell use it.)

Edit: This is a screenshot of Disk Management. Does everything look like it is supposed to? Disk0 was source, Disk2 was target.

Click to view full size!

And this is the text log from Acronis after the clone was complete
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log build="5551" product="True Image" uuid="CF8C9318-C0A9-FD72-5C78-B9C6A54E0A3E" version="16.0">
    	<event code="0" id="1" level="2" message="Operation Clone Disk started." module="100" time="1352189689" />
    	<event code="504" id="2" level="2" message="Pending operation 16 started: 'Deleting partition'." module="1" time="1352189689" />
    	<event code="504" id="3" level="2" message="Pending operation 16 started: 'Deleting partition'." module="1" time="1352189689" />
    	<event code="504" id="4" level="2" message="Pending operation 14 started: 'Creating partition'." module="1" time="1352189689" />
    	<event code="504" id="5" level="2" message="Pending operation 11 started: 'Copying partition'." module="1" time="1352189689" />
    	<event code="504" id="6" level="2" message="Pending operation 56 started: 'Copying MBR'." module="1" time="1352190960" />
    	<event code="0" id="7" level="2" message="Mapped from Disk NtSignature - 1437845968 to Disk NtSignature - 1437845968" module="57" time="1352190977" />
    	<event code="0" id="8" level="2" message="Mapped from Disk NtSignature - 1437845968 to Disk GUID - 593BDB50-BBCC-497D-BA78-F70BBA03DDCC NtSignature - -1845476503" module="57" time="1352190977" />
    	<event code="0" id="9" level="2" message="Mapped from Disk GUID - AA2386AB-DF52-4EF6-A277-A483918A3047 NtSignature - -150194155 to Disk GUID - AA2386AB-DF52-4EF6-A277-A483918A3047 NtSignature - -150194155" module="57" time="1352190977" />
    	<event code="0" id="10" level="2" message="Bootability restore operation has started." module="29" time="1352190977" />
    	<event code="0" id="11" level="2" message="Bootability restore operation has finished." module="29" time="1352190977" />
    	<event code="251" id="12" level="2" message="Clone Disk operation succeeded." module="100" time="1352190977" />
    </log>

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  10. shane41

shane41 Member

11. OP
    OP
    Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but paying for more software is out of the question. Acronis works for alot of other people, so it should work for me to.

12. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Windows repair disc won't fix your boot issue. Honestly I don't think this tool has ever fixed any issues i've ever had...

The quickest way to fix this was install Windows 7 (through USB) on the drive you want to boot, load up Acronis on it and then grab that image and tell it to clone the image to that drive.

Or

Install windows 7 on that drive (through USB) then use your main drive to clone it to that drive.

Sorry if its a little confusing but I was once going through that issue and to me this was the easiest route since everything was already loaded and it only took 5-10 minutes + 5 min to clone the image onto the drive (depends on drive config tbh)

13. OP
    OP
    Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Sorry but just to clarify,
    Install windows on what will be the back up drive, then perform the clone? Even though the clone process formats the target drive first.
    If that's what worked for you then I shall give it a go. Have seen stranger thanks happen lol.
    Edit. Did you perform the clone through the bootable acronis of through windows using acronis?

14. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

It is doing what it says - cloning the drive and therefore the MBR (Master boot record)

As per your logs:
    <event code="504" id="6" level="2" message="Pending operation 56 started: 'Copying MBR'." module="1" time="1352190960" />

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

If the above doesn't work the first time, you could clone it again - untick/deselect the MBR option, restore the clone and then create the MBR. Although I'm pretty sure restoring with the MBR is also optional.

The BSODs you're getting should also confirm the above.

Since you've booted in to Windows using the original disks/RAID 0, you could also do a check disk first on the newly cloned drive which should find some errors and attempt to fix them. This is what the start up repair tool is probably erring about and therefore prompting you to run, since it obviously cannot boot correctly.

Right click on the drive in my computer --> properties --> tools -- 'Check Now' - don't scan for bad sectors, unless you think it may be a dodgy drive and the above don't work.

This will also be a problem if you were cloning from an MBR to GPT disk, but I assume Acronis and the likes will be able to handle this when 2+TB disks become the norm if it doesn't already.

Avoid unplugging the other drives to isolate the issue unless you've got a known working backup. Otherwise, you run a strong risk of losing the data on the array.

Dr Evil's way is the long version of doing the above.

15. OP
    OP
    Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Well I would think so. But a clone is a clone, an exact copy, so in my logic if one works without needing repair than the other should to. I do realise that not everything works like it is meant to (especially with pc's)

Thanks, will give that a go soonish.
    No errors found :(. Confident the drive itself isn't dodgy, but then again I haven't tried to boot off it before just general storage.
    !!!!! My raid is MBR. I just checked disk manager and it says my clone is GPT. Maybe we are on to something here?? How could i change it just to be sure?

Never knew that, thanks for the info :)
    Meh, long way, short way, as long as it works. Would prefer to not have to do it at all though.

Thanks!

16. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

When you tell it to clone to the target drive it will reboot and perform the clone process then. Doesn't matter which way you use it.

Also if I recall I had issues trying to turn RAID0 SSD drives into Basic Disk when using software RAID0. It wouldn't change at all & GPT didn't work either.

I've been told to use hardware RAID0 in order to change the type of disc and formatting it and installing windows on it properly. But meh, not worth it.

That might be your problem.

17. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

In this case, Acronis is working as it should and it's a user issue was my point. I just didn't want to be blunt about it.

Sure it could be more 'user friendly' as I mentioned, but this some times adds unnecessary complexity.

I'm surprised that it's GPT. Follow the steps in the guide I posted, it should overwrite it.

You should at least know what's going on and why before taking the long way.

Otherwise you'll be on the "Is it slow, have you formatted recently?" bandwagon.