1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[CLOSED] USB-C hub with combined PD/data port

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by caspian, Apr 12, 2022.

1. caspian

caspian Member

I'm currently running a Dell 7390 laptop for work and constantly running out of USB ports.

the laptop is powered from a USB-C powered dock in its single -C port. so I need a USB-C hub that supports PD passthrough.

I bought a Kingston Nucleum to try, but what I've found is that the hub's PD port only supports power - the laptop won't recognise the dock for data. connecting the dock to the hub's data port works fine, but I now have no way of powering the laptop.

anyone aware of a hub that supports PD and data on the same downstream -C port? I've done quite a bit of reading but I have yet to find confirmation that this combination works, all of the reviews just test PSU--hub--laptop.

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

3. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

thanks.... have you had any experience that they support PD and data on the same USB-C port?

4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I have the ATEN one but I should confirm what you're actually after - are you after something to put between the laptop and, say, an existing WD15?

On the wife's unit, we plug the ATEN into the laptop with the built-in cord, and the USB-PD charger into the Type C on the ATEN. To be honest I've never thought of putting the ATEN in between the laptop and the dock - but it specifically states that the Type C port supports 60W PD and 5Gbps data at the same time, so it should work?

Actually I can see on the Nucleum product page that there's two separate Type C's onboard to split data and power - the ATEN doesn't do that :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

yes. what I want to do is go D6000--hub--laptop. so the D6000 supplies power but still functions as a dock (i.e. needs data connectivity from laptop >> D6000).

that's my problem with the Nucleum. the PD port is only usable for power.

thanks, will look at the ATEN. :thumbup:

6. Elmf

Elmf Member

Also keep an eye out on forums for the Dell/Lenovo/HP docks. Alot of them have USB-C power passthrough and a few extra USB ports on them too. Considering you're not using it for monitors you don't need that high a spec one either, as long as it does (60W I assume?) PD passthrough on the singular USB cable.

7. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

I have docks that I have no choice to use at work. they don't have enough USB ports for my needs.

Elmf likes this.
  8. scips

scips Member

Any reason for not just plugging a cheap usb hub into the D6000 and just having a regular little dock for on the road?

Just tested a combo of the 6 aten, alogic, targus, noovo, anker (all at least 60w PD) that I've got here, the targus one is AC powered (so only acted as dock1) but no difference from the other 5. All except the targus have 2x usb-c, 1 as PD and the other for data.

Test: usb-c charger > dock1 with usb drive1 > dock2 with usb drive2 > surface studio laptop

No combo of them shows usb drive1 :(

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  9. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

thanks, but without going into it further than I can - I have my reasons why I am seeking the solution that I am. our IT security requirements are pretty severe.

if the industry can't supply a simple PD+data combination port on a hub then it's pretty sad IMO, and I'll just have to work around it.

10. scips

scips Member

It does seem like the PD port on nearly all the ones out there atm are only power.

The only thing I've seen it working on was a mac m1 with Anker dual port usb-c connector to the mac, staff member didnt spot the hdmi hidden at top and just daisy chained in the alogic MV2 that we use mostly and it seemed to be working fine passing through hdmi and usb port stuff....mac tho :sick:

11. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

well, shit. considering the dock itself can do both over the same bus.

12. Elmf

Elmf Member

Just trying to confirm the use case:

You want to go work provided dock > USB C Hub via USB C cable (passing through monitors, USB ports and PD from the work dock) > then plug the USB C Hub into your laptop USB C and want access to all the ports on both dock and hub available over the one cable?

If the above is not correct and all you want is a USB C Hub with PD, isn't there shit loads of those? Like this cheap piece of shit https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08BLXG7C1/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_BFC50TN8NT49AYD9VRPP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

13. Elmf

Elmf Member

So re reading your OP, the above does sound like what you want and depending on what screens connect to the dock, you're probably pushing bandwidth limitations.

Not only that but I have never seen anyone do the above setup.

Have you tried a simple USB 3 hub into a usb port on the work dock? Haven't tried it myself but don't see why that wouldn't expand it out with more ports.

Like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1432886...ar=442205182986&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

OK I re read every post and seems both my suggestions are already covered by others. Smart crew here. Ignore me. Weird how work security requirements would stop you plugging in a USB Hub into the D6000. Makes zero sense to me.

14. kazimatiz

kazimatiz Member

Elmf likes this.
  15. mtma

mtma Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  16. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I'm pretty certain you won't find any that do this, the use case is incredibly small and would more than likely drive the price of these relatively inexpensive docks up.

Just buy a USB A Hub, or get better docks.

17. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

correct. I don't see why it's apparently so hard for a hub to do PD+data over the same USB-C bus when the dock itself can do it.

18. Elmf

Elmf Member

Just a weird use case... Pretty sure they wouldn't be worth mass producing as it wouldn't sell. Like I asked before there's no chance of just plugging a usb 3 hub into the dock to extend the amount of ports? It makes no sense that wouldn't work from a security perspective yet adding an inline one wouldn't?

19. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

it may seem unusual but that's what I need to be able to do. if there's no commercially available solution that can do that simple thing, so be it. I'll work around it differently.

20. Elmf

Elmf Member

Haha you seem intent on not answering my question, so I will bow out of the thread now. Good luck!