Cloud providers in Australia, recommendations, limitations etc?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by phrosty-boi, Oct 14, 2015.

1. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

Hi Guys,
    I've been tasked with doing some research on what cloud providers are out there and i'm at a bit of a loss at where to start...

What i'm looking for is the following:
    hosted server / desktop / RDS box
    mail will be done through office 365 / exchange hosted
    we will want AD if possible, with a file server and RDP server or virtual desktops to remote into to do work with some windows based apps

What should I really be looking for, just infrastructure and set up ourselves or some sort of pre canned vm's that we can then customise?

And what providers have actual datacenter prescense here, I konw MS does and I think Amazon do?

just really loking for a starting point, i've done on premise VDI before with a terminal server but not hosted cloud stuff...

2. Onthax

Onthax Member

It's a growing field,

A good place to start might be to ask,
    What are you compliance requirements in terms of where the data is allowed to reside?

International, Australia, State?

This will limit your list of providers depending on your data sovereignty requirements

Are you looking for Software as a Service (think Exchange Online)
    or Infrastructure as a Service (Build your servers on their infrastructure like azure)
    Do you want Assistance in building it, eg. extra services?

Disclaimer: I work for a QLD Cloud provider.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

Azure or AWS.

Go.

(spoken as someone who can/does sell/host stuff like you're asking).

4. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

It would be IA as that we would be after

We're an msp just getting into cloud hosting and I've been asked to look into this when I can

Sounds like I need to start looking g at azure and was for a start, does as have an Australian presence like azure thoughthough, as I'd prefer the data to stay in Oz, pretty sure our customers would like it that way as well

5. Onthax

Onthax Member

If you need it to stay in OZ then azure/AWS is off the cards as they can't guarantee it.

If it's just for latency and having a local presence i think both offer it.

6. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

I work for a Brisbane based cloud provider, We have Datacenters in Brisbane and Melbourne (assuming you're in Altona, Mel?). We offer SaaS, IaaS, DRaaS, and Comms.

Send me a PM if you would like to talk further, or alternatively I can get one of our guys to give you a call.

7. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

I can't speak for Azure, but I don't believe this is the case for AWS. I believe data can float between aws availability zones, but stays in the aws region (in this case, sydney). If data was able to float off to a different region, i doubt canberra would have approved aws as a supported cloud platform for aust govt.

8. scrantic

scrantic Member

My thoughts exactly when I read that statement.

9. bcann

bcann Member

I'd look at the case of the irish guy who the USA is trying to prosecute and the USA is trying to get data out of an MS Ireland based DC. You would think you'd be subject to local laws, but this case may blow that assumption out of the water and put billions in investments from major companies down the drink is the USA government wins with most governments saying if the data isn't local and not exportable overseas don't bother.

Data Sovereignty is going to become a big issue in the next few months/years.

10. scrantic

scrantic Member

That's why microsoft are fighting the case so hard. They know that their success in this space partly relies on the security & sovereignty of people's information.

11. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

thanks for the pointers so far guys, i'm digging a bit deeper into AWS as they seem to offer a more broad range of options and products which might be more suitable for what we are wanting to do for our clients

12. millsy

millsy Member

With all due respect data sovereignty has been a big issue for a while already. If orgs are only investigating the issue now they haven't done due diligence when selecting a cloud vendor.

With regard to AWS, this explains things quite well I think.
    http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/using-regions-availability-zones.html

13. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

Just clarifying some of the statements made about Azure in Australia. Azure has recently been granted ASD IRAP certification for their Melbourne and Sydney Data Centres.

This means it can host up to DLM level data at either of these DC's and guarantee data sovereignty (one of the requirements for being on the ASD CCSL).

If you need to speak to an Azure cloud partner I can happily put you in touch with some of my colleagues.

14. scrantic

scrantic Member

The impact of the dropping AUD with AWS and Azure is a consideration to take into account as well.

15. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

you make a good point there scrantic, would hate to get this all up and going then the currency goes down and it ends up costing more

so many damn variables to take into account, not just what they offer but outside influences as well, might need a few coffees to work this all out I think

16. Ninja_Harbinger

Ninja_Harbinger Member

I've got myself a VPS with AWS and I've no problems whatsoever. I'd recommend them.

17. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

You mean DLM=unclass , there are very different levels of DLM. When you do this you have no HA ( at-least last time i checked ).

http://cloud.dimensiondata.com/au/en/

multiple instances in Australia and you sign your contract with DD Australia so no data sovereignty issues. We don't dynamically move your data between instances so it will never end up out of country (nothing to stop you doing it yourself :p) .

*I work for DD but nothing to do with the public clouds.

18. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

Telstra CSX

19. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

thanks for the replies again guys, will have a look at didata and telstra as well, ideally wanting something that we can rebrand where possible, so far AWS looks to be the best for what we want to do but seems like some more digging is needed

has anyone had dealings with didata cloud or telstra cloud and can provide some info as to support service and so on?

20. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

DLM meaning FOIU data, as in not Restricted/Protected level data. Generally speaking if you have higher security requirements, to pass IRAP assessment you'll need to operate in an air gap environment.

Also you absolutely still get HA on Australian Azure, one of the key selling points.

One of the options that isn't often mentioned with Azure is the possibility of running a Hybrid environment, with some of the services running in either local datacentres or with a third party provider like Telstra.

I would without a doubt investigate Azure, it is extremely competitive these days.

Disclaimer: my work sells AWS and Microsoft Azure.