Hi all, I've had a project in the works for a few years now, collecting parts, iterating on the design, slowly putting it all together 1 bolt per month. And now in quarantine I've had a bit more time in the evenings and over the weekends to work on it and it's coming together rather quickly now I've designed it as a fixed gantry cnc, 800x600x300 with a working area of less than that I had a huge stuff-around when I ordered the ball-screws because when they arrived they were dented and scuffed and the bearings had grit in them. I found out after contacting the manufacturer that this was because their apprentice had made them haha I've taken numerous breaks so far during the build, mostly due to motivation issues and not wanting to set up the workshop every time, but also due to my brother doing a service on his motorbike and leaving leaving engine open to the world for a few months which I thought might have been a dick move on my part if I got any swarf inside the cylinders Layout of the Y-Z interchange plate - This was before I discovered spray on adhesive so was holding it all down with masking tape I actually went away from using printouts as my marking guideline and got me some marking blue (from costless bolts, love those guys) Finishing off the interchange plate by counterboring everything - I bought 4 of these M6 counterbores from aliexpress thinking that I would go through them super quickly, but 100 something holes later and I'm still using the first one and it cuts through the steel like butter! Especially when using any coolant - There are some hard spots but that's just due to the nature of hot rolled steel cooling unevenly, the edges of these plates took 3 times as much effort to do, caused my entire drill press to bow! Test fitting the linear bearings and ballscrew mount, got the dimensions right the first try, booyah! Celebrating completing the first piece and having the those two rails actually be parallel was a huge bonus Z axis rail plate, lots more drilled, tapped and counterbored holes Interchange and rail plates mounted together, surprisingly everything is easily accessible! It's almost like I designed it for that (never expected it to work that way though, things appear a lot bigger on CAD than in real life sometimes) Laying out the frame, the scale of the mill/router is setting in a bit now Was able to borrow a friends TIG welder and workshop to do this bit This is the correct method of positioning things, we checked with our OH&S officer and he said it was fine, especially because we had out steel capped thongs on Again, best method of clamping We discovered that somehow (not sure what happened, as you can see our weld set up was perfect) that gantry supports were angled outwards by about 3 cm at the top I am still to fix this issue, but luckily it's not a critical position and so just zip cut the welds that were locking it outwards and have decided that I will just clamp the supports inwards when I weld the gantry on, the only thing that is critical is that the gantry itself is parallel to the table, doesn't matter if it looks like a trapezium or not All of these photos are from before the start of this year and will be updating this thread with my progress as I go along! This weekend I welded the gantry together and got the y-axis moving, as well I have finished the z-axis assembly (barring attaching the spindle mount, it's a weird shape and I can't get at it with my drill set-up) Looking forward to keeping everyone updated!