CNC milling/drilling request

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aXLe, Dec 9, 2019.

1. aXLe

aXLe Member

Hi,

I have a need for a small tooling block as per the image below. The actual block size and shape does not matter, but the 19 x 1mm holes drilled into it (to a depth of around 8.55mm) has to be fairly accurate. block needs to be at least 9mm thick so that the holes have a bottom.

[​IMG]

Anyone here that can do this for me?

cheers,
    Dean

2. oculi

oculi Member

I can't do it but would suggest through holes in a plate 8.55mm thick with a backing plate that screws onto the plate with the holes in it.

3. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Yeah that would be fine too - no need for a backing plate - I'd just sit the block on another surface.

4. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Actually through holes would be fine in a 10mm plate - just drilled clean through.

I'd like to have it cnc drilled just for the precision really, else I'd have a go on the drill press (fall back option)

5. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

what material?

1mm is gonna be painful so depending on the material the accuracy may suffer

if you can get away with something like acrylic them mayne laser might be an option

6. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

I was thinking aluminium initially - something metallic would be best.

7. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

you're looking at a really deep hole for 1mm, chip extraction will be damn near impossible and for aluminium youd be wanting to go at like 28k rpm for 1mm

does it need to be a single solid piece or is laminating a few layers also an option?

8. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Actually I could do it in 5mm and then lift it up off the surface on some spacers. So 5mm or 6mm would be fine. Its a jig to guide some pins (hold them vertical) while they are soldered into a PCB at the top - thus it needs to be steel or aluminium ideally (wont melt). 5mm would be enough though to ensure the pins are aligned.

9. oculi

oculi Member

is it to hold a
    How many boards are you making? can you just use whatever connector is going to mate to the pins? i'd be tempted to print a 1:1 paper template, glue it to the plate and centrepunch each hole before drilling them, laser would do it easily but you will be paying the minimum order charge. If you have a drill press you could use shims to get each hole in the right position but it might end up a bit shit.

10. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Yeah if I drilled it I'd print it on a sticky label , stick it down, punch and drill as you suggested - might have to do that yet.

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

Why not PCB material? fibreglass.

get a jig fabbed up with your circuit boards. drilling small holes in PCB laminate is piss easy for the board shops - it is after all a big part of their job.

get a couple made, with some larger guide/alignment holes, bolt a few layers together. jig!

12. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Yeah - that is certainly an option, and it would probably cost less than $10 at JLCPCB (plus postage - but I can slip it in with the main order). I'd prefer it in aluminium, but if that is a no go then I might just go the PCB route :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  13. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

The more I think about this, the more the PCB option appeals. I will go down that route.

Cheers!

14. ericks

ericks Member

I could do it for you...but i don't have a 1 mm drill for my cnc :)

15. ericks

ericks Member

Let me check tomorrow if i have a 0.8 mm end mill. If i do then i will give it a go on aluminum...

16. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Thank you ericks for your kind offer, but in thinking about this I think I will go down the PCB route.

I've designed a jig which will be part of a small pcb panel to include the actual boards that I need to fit pins into :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll be able to include pads on the PCB to allow the jig to be soldered together (the groves in the legs are for a rubber band to temporarily hold it together before soldering), plus I can distribute the jig to anyone else who may be interested in making up a DB19 plug (which are no longer produced - there are some stocks of them at present (BMOW commisioned 10,000 plugs to be manufactured) but they are expensive). I will 3D print a backshell that will also provide positive mating to the female connector, plus lock the PCB in place - next job :)

I'll get quite a number of the Pseudo DB19 boards on a 100mm x 100mm (or smaller) panel along with the parts for one jig.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  17. ericks

ericks Member

No problem.....that design looks great :)