Cocoon Create Touch / Aldi printer(s) / Wanhao Duplicator Plus

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Mathuisella, May 13, 2017.

1. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

hi, So i picked mine up this morning @ 8.01 and was pleasantly surprised with 90% of the construction already done in the box. I just had to connect the Z axis to the base ( both were already prepared )

So, after that you just connect a few well labelled cables and you then level the bed. It was pretty nice having something go pretty close to plan out of the box.

At this moment, the only complaint i would have is loading new filament can be a pain due to the tiny internal allignment of holes the filament has to pass through.

Here's a picture of the filament issue, but it can be easily solved by undoing 2 screws and giving it a helping hand to get into the right spot.

Click to view full size!

Time to print a benchy and see how we go

2. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

I got one this morning too. Unfortunately I'm currently moving house so won't unpack it until next week.

3. sammytrailor

sammytrailor Member

I missed out. Far too many people waiting in line for only a few printers :(

Let's hope they appear on Kogan again in a few months time.

Or, I'll just bite the bullet and buy the Prusa i3mk2 that I originally wanted...

4. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Shame, there's about 5 within driving distance for me, but managed to grab one from the first i went to, about 10 people there, and they all went up towards the back of the middle isle where aldi usually have their stuff, but at the store i went to, i asked the manager at the front if he has any of the 3d printers... they were keeping them at the register out of view to deter theft i guess.

I'd offer to sell you my old printer which is a Prusa 13 mk2 clone :p

5. akromatic

akromatic Member

i picked up 2 , both is having extruder issues. apparently the stepper motor isnt spinning.

6. rodgrech

rodgrech Member

got one this morning, first ever 3d printer. nice and simple to setup. software is a PITA. (aldi in mudgee had 3 left as of 9am)

finally got my first print happening at the moment. a cable holder to keep the USB cable out of the way.

7. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I thought the same thing.

are you trying to put filament into it ?

if so;

1st > on the fan side of the extruder you'll see 2 allen key bolts holding the fan in place. > Undo them

2nd > you'll see something like this

Click to view full size!

3rd > manually put filament through into the bottom most hole passageway that it missed

4th > close it up, put the fan back to it's spot and fasten those 2 bolts back up.

5th > use the " add filament" option and watch the magic happen.

8. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Nice. You're going the USB method.

Unfortunately where mine is placed i have to go with the SD card route for printing. pros and cons for both, but glad to see it's going.

I use to use the software called "repetier" with my Prusa i3 V2 printer. It's quite easy to use and has a free home user version.

9. rodgrech

rodgrech Member

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  10. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

picked mine up this morning at Toombul, got the second last one. Got it up and running and it's printing away.

Anyone wanting to play around with the default models you get on the sd card - seems the printer software doesn't do well with subfolders and the genius copying everything over just copied the entire folder over instead of it's contents.

11. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

yeah, shame it doesn't like folders, but oh well. I'm using the "boat" benchmark as to compare it to previous printer and other people who've also printed it as well as it's the most commonly used benchmark print.

12. rodgrech

rodgrech Member

ill give it a try on the next print. it will be interesting to see if anyone can load custom firmware on this thing

13. rodgrech

rodgrech Member

Been doing some reading into the wanhao duplicator plus, apparently they had a recall due to it being a fire hazard due to the heatbed not being insulated.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1778010

apparently printing a simple insulated washer will fix the issue

14. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Yeah, i saw that. You wouldn't think the bed to frame would be an issue considering it's also mounted via metal linear bearings to the rods and thus the frame, but i guess it's insulated in that direction and the washers were an oversight, a costly one.

I'll be printing some spare washers tonight

15. akromatic

akromatic Member

btw is there a way to turn off the beeping?

also the washer issue is not an issue with the aldi printers, they come with washers.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  16. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Yeah, they come with insulating washers, I just want to double up on the protection :p

Has anyone else been getting the prints sticking too well to the bed :/

17. rodgrech

rodgrech Member

YeAh, little bit of gusto needed to remove it. Although one of my prints totally stuffed up last night when the software froze and a giant lump of pla formed :(

18. akromatic

akromatic Member

im not sure if this is normal or not but every time i press print, it would extrude a bunch of filament at the home position and the filament would just curl up around the extruder head so by the time it actually print it would deposit a lump of curled plastic onto the raft ruining the print

19. rodgrech

rodgrech Member

Yep, I moved my print about a cm away and use the little hook to remove the waste pla

20. akromatic

akromatic Member

now its at a state where it cant print anything at all, filament would just ball up after the nozzle.