Coffee Lake 6 core, this August with z370 chipsets?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by AbRASiON, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

An excellent post :thumbup:
    The reason I have all those (and more) figures is because I believe in a 99.999% stable overclock that will pass everything for days at a time, all scenarios both likely and unlikely covered. The idea is that no matter what I might throw at it over the coming years there's absolutely minimal chance of data corruption or errors. This is a 24/7 PC with important use, but it's also my gaming PC. I have had multiple PC's for multiple uses before, but it's too much hassle.

I didn't know about the non AVX workload on Prime95, thanks for that!

I don't use an AVX offset so that's no concern to me, but it could be relevant to me someday and I know many people use one now to squeeze those last few MHz out for SSE based games.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds XTU far too soft!

I use 3x version of Prime, 2x versions of RealBench etc. for both AVX and non AVX loads. As you mention you can change the workload type, but I find the older versions better for that.

You enjoy that :D

2. neopheX

neopheX Member

Let's hope I don't enjoy it too much or else I'll be building my rig from under the table haha

Deano_20802 likes this.
  3. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Bottle would make a nice res. Add a touch of colour and make it look like a scotch cooled system :)

4. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

I noticed the same thing. Did see that on the product page on the asrock website had this comment

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice : )

A drink or two always makes for a good build....right? :p

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Alright, so I finally have two 8700K's to play with but I am noticing the droop shane is talking about, but also weird VID stuff .... are you guys using manual/offset or adaptive vcore?

I auto tuned the first cpu to 5ghz just to see what voltages the bios selects, its showing 1.488v at idle and droop to 1.360v while running cinebench .... oddly VID shows 1.49 at idle and 1.328v loaded ... how does that work? It rubs me the wrong way to see this, I tried setting manual voltages once and no boot so what would you guys recommend? This is a z370i so it can only do so much, its on the bench so I will keep playign with it until I swap to the MSI carbon.

:)

7. Supersize

Supersize Member

For me I'm just using manual with VID disabled.
    I found with VID enable it'll over rule anything you put in the manual settings, could be just my Strix-F, but it's what I'm finding at the moment.
    Will be swapping to a Code or Apex in January so it might be different.

Try disabling VID and going manual to dial it in, then maybe offset, adaptive with VID enabled is a little strange.
    I can do 4.9Ghz@1.296v, so you should be able to get 5Ghz at 1.36v at least.

Vdroop is strange as well, LLC 6 is what I have to use to get within 20mv of the set manual voltages, which from what I understand is the "norm"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. ska'

ska' Member

I've been using the Z370-I, I have only really tried OC the 8600k to 5ghz with LLC set at 5 (Vcore manual 1.3v), it appears that some of the Asus motherboards suffer terrible Vdroop under load.

My vcore seems to hover around 1.26v under heavy load, with VID going all over the place.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Aussie I belted it for volts to get it over the line in benchmarks. Think I ran the whole gamut in one night
    I do think my suspicions are right. Power delivery on these 370 boards are " lite " more suited to 4 cores & heavy OC

You'd have to mess with LLC & offsets ... for setting it right as you would like it. I did not spend the time absolute tuning. :Pirate:

edit. Try 1.35V core & 1.3V SA

10. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah I like finding minimum voltages for everything, I just feel like it saves degradation and extra heat for nothing.

Do many have to disable VID? I haven't done this before.

It running 5100 auto now but similar voltages to 5ghz, I will have a tinker again later. Once this one is settled I will try NO2 and see how it goes.

I might even trade back to an 8350k for my itx, see how it goes.

11. shane41

shane41 Member

Nah. No problemo for 1.4V if you have cooling to match. These processor will be sturdy enough for 12 months abuse.
    But if your not clocking ... say internet I just boot defaults. Why give the electricity companies more dollars

edit. That board & my processor R15 was like ...
    50x 1.28V 51x 1.38V 52x 1.48V around that to set bios ... big v-droop to battle.

Still it will make you appreciate a stronger expensive board :lol: good practice anyway

12. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, I sent umart a message today to see if it can be ordered in, or if there's a reason it doesn't appear to be available in Australia. Wait and see.

Will be a while before I get my hands on some conductonaut to delid the CPU anyway, so no rush. :)

Worst case scenario ocuk has it in stock and delivered for $338 AUD which seems in line with what a high end itx board would cost here.

13. Seeker

Seeker Member

I have the same board, this was fixed in the latest bios update. LLC L6 will give you an even vcore at idle/load - well it does for me, at least on my 8600K.
    Nice chip btw, I need 1.35 to be 5Ghz stable. What does your package power look like in hwmonitor during P95? And did you also find that "ASUS Multicore Enhancement" has to be enabled for the board to honour the multiplier you enter? I get really weird clock speeds if I disable that.

14. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I set 1.350v manual in bios and level 6 LLC, but it still seems to droop to 1.280v in cinebench ... It did pass though

:(

15. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Thats a lot of droop.

On Apex, I have the opposite, all overvolt so passes everything easy lol

16. shane41

shane41 Member

That's alright.

Why I have not sold my processor here ... until I'm sure of it in a good board. Apex or Hero's etc.
    You see that stronger board ... your volts may well be 1.25 or better

Tired too hot to OC .. movie time :leet:

17. Seeker

Seeker Member

I have 1.232 set manually, and this is the vcore I get at idle and load in hwmonitor. Here are the settings I'm using if they are helpful. These boards will err on the side of being very conservative with CPU power delivery unless you override a few settings, and its well known.

AI Tweaker: core/cache current limit 200

I'm using override (not offset) @ 1.232.

In digi+ vrm:
    LLC Level 6
    current capability 140%
    switching freq auto
    spread spectrum disabled
    power duty extreme
    phase control extreme
    thermal control auto

I have my VRMs under a waterblock though, so be wary of this, although people on SFF forums have been running these boards without VRM heatsinks so they can fit them into a chassis like the NFC S4 mini - they appear to cope quite well even at 5ghz without VRM sinks!

edit:
    idle - https://i.imgur.com/MAGMsed.png
    load - https://i.imgur.com/xGdcmVz.png

maybe its a volts thing.. do you want me to feed more into my cpu for scientific/research purposes for you? :p

edit 2: downloading cinebench now.. same result

18. Supersize

Supersize Member

Did you do a BIOS update, 0430 is meant to "fix" the vdroop issue.
    I wouldn't call it fixed, but its a lot better, LLC 6 gives me around 20mv of vdroop on the Strix-F...

19. ska'

ska' Member

I'll have to check power in P95, I've got MCE off and have no problems with clock speed.

I can run lower voltage but it crashes on XTU and a few other things, fine for gaming and passes cinebench & realbench fine though.

Could probably clock higher with a delid / better cooling but if I push the volts any more to increase the multi I just thermal throttle with my crappy 212x air-cooler.

20. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yes mate you are right, now I set 1.30v in bios with LLC6 and I get 1.280v loaded.