Coffee Lake 6 core, this August with z370 chipsets?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by AbRASiON, Apr 26, 2017.

1. virtuosox

virtuosox Member

that makes sense i guess if they go by old standards,
    coffelake is the refined kabylake

i still see no benefits in upgrading my 2700k system to a kabylake
    im tossing up whether to purchase a 32inch 1440 freesync monitor or a new chipset (them hard decisions), from all the data ive seen
    3.5 ghz 2700k
    4.2 ghz 7700k about 20% better (which can be blamed to the higher clock)
    but what if you OC a 2700k to 4.2ghz and compare clock for clock? id suspect minimal difference.

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Skylake/kabylake is approx 20% faster clock/clock over sandy bridge (2700k)

Coffeelake may have a small IPC uplift, but so far it sounds unlikely (i.e not use the skylake-x core's which have 512bit AVX units, and possibly other small changes)

3. OP
    OP
    AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Coffee lake 6 core is the first CPU that might be significantly worth it to 3xxx and 2xxx owners. The extra 2 cores should significantly help on the multi-threaded things and the people who own 25xx and 35xx will really notice (from 4 to 12 total threads)

Yeah 2700k @ 4.5ghz is pretty decent, still but I imagine coffee lake at 4.5ghz will be at bare minimum 25% faster in all benchmarks with decent memory. Bare minimum.

4. virtuosox

virtuosox Member

coffee lake is sounding promising if its 6 cores. im assuming itll still be using the 1151 socket?

i have not seen any benchmark to backup your claims
    the only thing ive seen is 7700k stock to a 2700/2600k stock
    not clock for clock.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Rumor is 6 cores on 1151 but none of us have anything concrete.

6. Datsun 1600

Datsun 1600 Member

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

and if you're all ready a 6 core 3xxx CPU owner with it clocked at 4.5GHZ

I still dont see much of an incentive to upgrade.

8. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Maybe I was right... 6C6T i5s potentially maxing out the mainstream platform as i7s and i9s emerge for the HEDT platform.

https://videocardz.com/69457/specifications-of-intels-core-x-i9-and-i7-series-supposedly-leaked

Edit: 28 lanes max for even 8C/16T? Brutal lol

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Given the recent info, Someone should start a thread for X299 SL/KL -X before ppl get confused.

10. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

i dont get the need for 8/12/16 cores... seriously, why doesnt AMD just focus on its 6 core and get its clock up to par with intel's or surpass it
    thats why i think Coffee will be atleast 4.5ghz stock

plus do programs / games even use the multi - cores properly anyway?
    i remember seeing bench marks where two CPU's clocked the same, one being two core 4 threads the other being 4/8 and the results showed the 2/4 had better in-game performance (i7/i3 comes to mind)

11. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

AMD "getting it's clock up" requires access to fabs and a node process that is more mature than they have access to. It's not even AMD's R&D that's holding them back (anymore), it's the resources they have access to.

12. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

so instead they add extra, almost redundant cores?

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Increasing frequencies would be great - but in addition to the factors Fleetfeather mentioned, moving to a higher frequency (FMAX) target, at current IPC levels also means larger die sizes, and almost certainly decreased performance/watt. It would also blow out the development time, hence time to market.. All three of which are detrimental to the most profitable markets Zen is aimed at - Server and Notebook.

(and the later even detremental to Ryzen )

14. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

that makes sense if theyre hitting a specific market, but alot of people are comparing the 7700k with the 1800x and the 7700k is better in most applications except heavy multicore/threaded applications, im guessing theres some tweaking on the application side that has to be done to take advantage of the extra cores?

anywho, im tossing up whether to wait for coffeelake or get a 7700k to be the successor to this 2700k @ 5.2ghz

15. Azzan

Azzan Member

But 7700K would be faster than 6900K/1800X for most games, right?

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well they're going off the two most profitable markets, (compared to Desktop) , and both by chance are performance per watt bound. Not maximum frequency/performance.

I think you'd be disappointed upgrading to a 7700K from what is obviously a very good 2700K you have there - as I said, 20% IPC avg from the Sandy bridge to skylake core (which is the same core in kabylake/coffeelake), and you'll be lucky to get over 5Ghz on a 7700K so you may have a frequency regression. This alone should be a clue as to why AMD wouldn't chase down this sort of performance goal.. It's a dead end. Do not be surprised to see Intel either stagnate, or regress in single threaded performance with future cores in order to improve MT performance.

17. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

You can buy 4C and 6C variants of Ryzen chips if you want to save money on cores you consider 'almost redundant', but that won't improve the process maturity holding all of their chips down to ~4.0ghz.

18. morgala

morgala Member

I'm in the same boat although I've got a 4790.

19. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

im going to hold off till coffee lake comes.
    im happy enough with my 2700k @ 5.2Ghz i doubt upgrading to a 7700k will make that much of a difference right now.
    and if what theyre saying is true in regards to 6c12t then coffee lake is the obvious choice.
    but the cpu isnt the only thing that needs upgrading, our mobos have alot of draw backs compared to the newer 1151 boards (ddr4 support, m2 support, pcie 3.0, etc etc)

i just hope coffee lake uses the same 1151 boards/ z270 as i may be forced to upgrade really soon.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

This is true - it's just a lot of money to outlay for those coming from overclocked SB systems, to get 20 to 30% more performance, and some new mobo features..

I think halo 6c/12t Coffeelake is an absolute given post Ryzen release. Having said that, they are seemingly releasing quad's.. even w/out HT on X299 which seems batshit crazy, so anythings possible.