Coffee Lake 6 core, this August with z370 chipsets?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by AbRASiON, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

it does everything just not as fast as a 4 year old Intel platform

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

yep

can only get 3.8ghz out of this 1700 with virtualization turned on -- a little higher without and it quite frankly sucks balls, loading times are noticeably faster in every game I play and OS boot times are terrible vs the intel system.

my 3820 was sitting at just under 4.8ghz and I had the 3930k at just under 4.7ghz on 6 cores

its only positive was its price, and I did not want to buy an obsolete x99 platform when x299 is so close but had no choice but to get something when my motherboard died. while it may be faster in benchmarks and programs I dont use for what matters to me is it at best an expenside side grade

I know though when I go to resell this ryzen dog ( like other in here have seen ) that I will take a big hit on the resale price.

After this dissapoitment of a ryzen system I have even lower hopes than I allready did ahve for vega

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Care to elaborate? What stuff have you noticed personally (rather than just benchmarks?)

I keep wondering if my aversion to Ryzen is unfounded, but my gut instinct says that basic Windows functions will be marginally slower than modern intel machines.
    Consdiering my primary upgrade purchase is just **really snappy** general use, I don't wany Ryzen.

4. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I dont really run benchmarks, the only one is the bench mark built into CPUz which is slower single core performance on the ryzen vs my intel system

just windows boot times, game loading times are also noticebly slower on the ryzen vs my intel system and are both using the same SSD( 960 EVO) admittly I ahve 32gb of ram on the intel @ 2000mhz DDR3 vs 16gb DDR4 @ 2700mhz on Ryzen

for example, I dont have a password on my system and it loads straight into windows -- on my intel platform id press the power button and the desktop would be loaded by the time the screen turned on and started displaying.

the Ryzen system I see the loading screen and ahve to wait

these isnt a lot in it but again I am comparing a system that is months not years old and 2 x extra cores and it at best is a sideways step.

5. neopheX

neopheX Member

Yeah I was keen on jumping X99 but I thought nope i'll wait. And don't really care for AMD myself. But I cannot wait to do another custom acrylic build on the x299 platform. I will definitely purchase either the 7900X or 7920X and I do hope the Rampage VI Extreme will be out the same time! Then we have the 1080 Ti kingpins on the horizon so can't wait to get two of them too! It's going to be an interesting 2nd half of 2017!

Here is a new article just released that's a good read about the new X299 platform.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11461...new-highend-desktop-platform-and-x299-chipset

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  6. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Nope.
    I *do* recall the days of 250w PSUs with mains-power passthrough for the monitor.
    I also recall they used to do stupidly small amounts of computing for the watts they sucked. :p

7. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I asked Vince about his cards, he'll be showing them off on Thursday.

Copie likes this.
  8. neopheX

neopheX Member

I did too 3 weeks ago he said Computex lol. We are so impatient haha.

I watched the ROG conference last night here is a link. The Rampage VI Extreme and Apex were talked about.

https://youtu.be/WdjsT5cgeZ4

Starts at 23m:40s

Also a link to the official ROG site:

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...-and-strix-x299-e-motherboards-for-skylake-x/

I love the style of the Apex board it is something different. But I think I will still go for the RVIE. It looks like the Extreme is a lot smaller than last boards too? Or am I seeing things? Lol

9. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I'm at Computex, hence asked in person when I ran into him yesterday.

His new x299 dark motherboard is insane. Back to the roots of overclocking without all the RGB wank LEDs.

Copie likes this.
  10. headin2001

headin2001 Member

No RGB, how is this even possible......WITCH WITCH WITCH!!!!

11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Funny if you think about it.

We've probably kept net watts used roughly the same. We've just transferred all that power from the monitor to the PC.

12. neopheX

neopheX Member

So I am sure some of you are aware of the video Linus did on the whole Intel X299 thing. And it seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding it.

Not sure why, it's like people believe that board manufactures and Intel just created these chips and boards in 2 weeks when it would have been 30+ months.

Personally I am still going to do a build huge build with X299 with the 7900X at it's core (no pun intended) and a Rampage VI Extreme, the only thing I am a little bummed about is that the 7920X is released later which is what I wanted first but so be it. And I may need to delid it If I'm not happy with the temps but that's an easy fix.

What's everything thinking about the new platform? Who is upgrading?

13. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Probably the wrong thread for it since this is for z370 and not x299.

14. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Speaking of wrong threads I'm so confused I have no idea which thread to read!

Where do I need to be if I'm going to upgrade my 5 year old Intel system around October/November this year, will anything actually be in stores by then?

15. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

@trever68: I'd say it would be by then, generally with computex the soonest you see hardware that's announced or on display is about a fortnight as some products are already shipping whilst other take longer to get into distribution channels.

If i were you i'd short shift myself and find a 6700k cheap, a decent z270 board and max it's ram out and run that for the next few months if your in actual need of upgrade

16. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Dunno, it's only a gaming PC, 3570k and 16gig ram on Z77 chipset.

I "was" going to grab an I5 7600K on Z270 board, but hell confused now. If new stuff is around before christmas then I might as well buy it, unless current skylake gear gets cheap.

My last upgrade is now 5 years old, so I'm not in a rush to run something for a few months, I fully expect another 5 years.:tongue:

17. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

im inclined toward another laptop. hopefully a coffeelake will be reliable and stable for another 5 years (14nm).... looks like 10nm will take a while to mature, plus the 14nano still has hyperthreading.

18. BonScott

BonScott Member

People keep telling me to upgrade my computer, but I'm not sure if I should. If I got the cheapest Coffee Lake and put it on a B150 motherboard would that work?

19. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

There's no "should" upgrade, but allow me to ask you the following:

1 - Is it too slow to do something that it used to do faster?
    2 - Will it no longer do something that it used to?
    3 - Are you unable to do something you'd now like to?

A PC like that with an SSD would still be great in numerous scenarios, just not recent or very demanding ones.

All that considered, it wouldn’t cost too much to build something noticeably faster. What are your main uses though?

20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'd go even further and score one of the second hand haswell systems in the for sale threads, maximum bang/buck and you'd only be losing what ~15% CPU performance vs sky-lake (if that?) and pretty much next to no difference in gaming.

I'm running an i7-4790 + GTX1060 + SSD and I would challenge anyone to tell whether it was haswell or kaby lake in normal usage. Everything is still nice and snappy, even when running VMs in background or 20 chrome tabs open etc. Go grab yourself an i5-4xxx build, they're everywhere on the forums, for a few hundred bucks you'll get something that runs 1080p high detail nicely @ or near 60FPS.

Haswell, let alone Skylake would be warp speed compared to C2D in any event, second hand bang/buck is particularly awesome for haswell right now as all the enthusiasts get the upgrade bug around the 3 year mark. I am twitching myself LOL but the level headed me can't justify the cost for incremental gain

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017