Coffee Lake 6 core, this August with z370 chipsets?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by AbRASiON, Apr 26, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Leaks slowly occurring still but at low frequencies - also saw news rumor today claiming Z370 chipset in last quarter of year :mad: - NOT August? :/

2. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Everything points to Coffee Lake socket compatible with Z270 (just requires the usual BIOS update). Z370 only seems to add intergrated support for USB3.1 Gen 2 and Gigabit WIFI.

3. BonScott

BonScott Member

Office work, and some quirky steam games. Some of the more modern titles get a bit snappy. I'd consider a coffee lake cpu to last for the next 10 years if it works on an el cheapo board like a B150.

4. OP
    OP
    AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I'm one of those people who doesn't care about 270 support (sorry) - I got an old laptop and want to go back to a full ITX machine.
    (So I want nice ITX, z370 boards and the 8700k asap, obviously!) :)

5. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

coffee lake looks interesting, It may be worth waiting for it instead of getting a x299 platform as I was only going to get a 6 core chip anyway.

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

What is the chance of z170 and z270 supporting these? Sure a new mobo is always good but if it's only USB 3.1 then a previous gen for a great price will do.

:)

7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

your guess is as good as ours unless you have a mate in intel? LOL

8. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I hope they do I could repurpose teh Z270 board in my mining rig as my gaming PC with a 6 core CPU

9. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

What ITX case are you going to build in?

10. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

From everything I've read, Intel will be instructing board partners to only provide support for Coffee Lake on 200 series chipsets. Those on 100 series will be left out.

11. Bertross

Bertross Member

im pretty sure your 4 core with HT will be the same LOL another pointless CPU release. Dont expect the i7 6/12threads to be that cheap either.

having this out with the quad core line up on x299 is getting out of control no?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  12. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I expect it to be the same price or cheaper than the i7 7800x which is $559 or only $70 more expensive than a 7700k

the 6 core 7800 matches and sometimes beats the 1800x ryzen when stock vbs stock

and generally beats it overclocked vs overclocked and coffeelake will have much better IPC than skylake X

im seriously thinking about cancelling my order of the 7800x buy a 7700k and wait for coffee lake as I ahve an asus prime z270 in my mining righ that will be a decent board for the time being.

13. Bertross

Bertross Member

you will be waiting like 6 months or more though.

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Coffeelake = skylake core. So same IPC

Also, AFAIK there's no indication still that z270 will support coffeelake

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

Eh if I can find a 6700k or 7700k cheap 2nd hand that will do as I mostly game on this system. I still have not decided what Im going to do exactly yet I may just end up keeping the x299 when it comes in, but I dont really need it and that $1000 can buy another GPU or 2 to mine on.

intels own marketing material is spruiking a 15% or better gain from Kaby lake for Coffee lake even if you take that number with a grain os salt and it 5% its still 5% better

and lets not forget kabylake is a few % better IPC wise than skylake so the benefit may be pretty good vs skylake.

I ahve only read that the z270 wont support coffeelake but it has only been speculation I have read nothing concrete / confirmed yet

16. OP
    OP
    AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Likely to use my SG08.
    Considering I don't use a GPU, I suspect I can keep temps reasonable.

May mod the case somewhat too, we'll see.
    I just want, silent, fast, no gpu.
    And I mean FAST

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

That was 15% performance. Not IPC, it comes from higher frequencies in the lower end of the stack.

Still not a bad thing, since it will translate somewhat to the upper end of the spectrum, i.e max overclocks, but won't be 15% obviously.

18. OP
    OP
    AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

The CPU is also being discussed on hardforum - one of the guys there (apparently) an insider continues to post that the z370 will effectively be a rebadge of 270.
    The rumours of better USB and inbuilt wifi into the chipset he claims come with the z3xx "series 2" (ie the rumoured z390 chipset reported on wcccffftech)

Hope he's wrong - really hate the idea of the next chipset just being a temp gimped dodgy one.

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'd gladly take skylake IPC @ 6x cores on a mainstream platform - makes it competitive with Ryzen for both single core and multi-core (assuming the pricing is 'mainstream' platform).

20. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

lol gimped or dodgy-- hardly the z270 platform is quite good as it is.