Coffee Lake 6 core, this August with z370 chipsets?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by AbRASiON, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

The board has been fantastic. Doesn't take long to boot with a NVME ssd.

2. isaakk

isaakk Member

Well, my 8700k is not a happy-chappy. 1.34v in BIOS for 4.8GHz with LLC on Turbo, temps of around 80deg - no really wanting to push vcore any higher. (Cine run)

Between the 6700k, 7700k, and 8700k chips i've had, all have been mediocre clockers so am a little fed up. I reckon i'll just bite the bullet now and wait for SiliconLottery to have some binned chips available.

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Don't be so hasty my man. I'll happily re-check for you before you spend up big. That can be a bios setting or 2.
    LLC will drive up the volts needed overboard. I'd expect most 8700K should hit 5Ghz.

A phone call even to get you going better OK. pm away

aussie-revhead likes this.
  4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Delid isaakk and test again.

Surely 4.8 is fast enough in reality but yes 5ghz sounds better (specially when so many others are getting that).

:)

5. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

get headin to delid man - close to lock for 5ghz - i had him do 2 which were both average clockers and turned out both hit 5ghz with 1.35 or less

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ram going crazy, my 32G of trident z ram has gone up $80 in the last week or so.

7. isaakk

isaakk Member

Yep, definitely delidding, that's a certainty - was going to wait for the tool as I have CLU spare but it's probably worth sending it off to Headin. Followed dino's guide for the initial settings and can't get close to 5GHz even pushing the vcore up. Expected the need to delid, but thought it would at least do better without in the interim - if anyone has suggestions i'm all ears.

Heck, i'd be down sending it to someone willing to bench it just to make sure i'm not doing something silly.

8. mils1

mils1 Member

A delid will do wonders, 5GHz no problem. LLC needs to be set so volts don't drop or rise & stay steady under load.

9. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

yeah whatever the equivalent for gigabyte bios llc setting is for Asus llc6 is what id be trying first

10. warcraft

warcraft Member

Those SilLot cpus look a bit crap to me , hes running them all with -2 offset ......... so your paying 999 for a cpu that runs @ 5.1 with a vcore of 1.437 .....

11. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

yeah im sure headin can add based on his bigger sample size but id expect 90% of delidded 8700ks to be able to run 5.1 @ 1.437 and -2 avx offset

12. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Quick Facts from my Delids. (thanks to those that send to me to service and test). I don't check all of them before as time is a struggle, but usually try a quick after test to make sure I've relidded correctly, not one dud yet.

Most CPUs for me are running a 1.365VID on my APEX, all bios voltages, LLC6. I am still trying to find a more accurate way to get a VID measure on this board (the auto base OC it does throws the measure out).

Of the 8700k's:
    1 - Struggled to do 5ghz before delid. Would bench to 5GHz with no AVX but die in XTU up to 1.4v
    Delid, ran 5GHz no problem at all at 1.33v for daily, no more unless over 1.4v. (L729C249)
    4 - 5.1G daily around 1.4v. (L730C305, L729C249)
    1 - 5.2G daily @ 1.4v (L733C299)
    1 - Can pass 5.3G with AVX load to bench. 5.2 G daily under 1.4v. Not checked by myself but confirmed. (L730C305)
    2 - 1.120VID looks to be 5.2G daily at or under 1.4v bios too, but hotter than the other 5.2g cpus. Needed cold water to pass XTU bench at 5.3G 1.45v. (L730C305 and L729C249)
    1 - 1.04VID I didn't spend much time with, but a cracker and hope the owner is a happy chappy. 5.3G pass XTU Bench at 1.4v, didn't test lower, didn't test higher (wish I had) (L733C329).

Early batches vs Latest batches aren't showing anything yet really, with the L729C329 showing a spread from a struggle 5G daily to a pretty good 5.2G daily chip.

Have another today I just bought to check out when I can (L630C393). Busy week ahead.

The one I recently sold was solid for 5.2G, and AVX intensive was 5.1G max without the heat and voltage tradeoff. Way I look at it though is not many people will be running that speed on AVX as normal use just doesn't require it....well......unless you are doing intensive X265 AVX Encoding, which the trade off for heat vs time to complete isn't worth it.

-1 or -2 AVX from SL just lets them bin more to suit the 99% of buyers, not the 1% that want the extra AVX speed. It also allows for more reasonable voltages for longevity. I get why the tested that. You test 100 CPUs at a time, you need a methodology that covers the spectrum. My testing took a day for one CPU alone.

I think you would be very unlucky to have a 8700k that wont pass 5GHz after delid. Either that, or the board you are using has a junk power delivery, or it's another problem that holds it back.

13. shane41

shane41 Member

Not a fan of anything < Negative AVX > bios

Bullshit way of cheating a benchmark because otherwise you cannot pass. 5.0Ghz > 4.9Ghz

aussie-revhead likes this.
  14. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Its not about cheating Shane, it's about lowering a hugely extensive Instruction Set, and still allowing a CPU to function at a higher speed than this handycaps it.

I test my own for XTU Bench capabilities, but for daily use, it's just not necessary.

15. shane41

shane41 Member

It's a feature implemented in the bios by who? Motherboard manufacturers / Intel

Simply state I am not a fan full stop. If you cannot pass on a multi then that should be the end of it.
    It's a way to circumnavigate " that heavy " AVX instruction :tongue:

A 5Ghz pass could be earned. Another chap does 4.9Ghz -1 AVX & a pass. Then another does 4.8Ghz -2 AVX & a pass. WOW so fantastic your powerful beast. :rolleyes:
    _________

Keep it real guys ... not meant to be easy - easier

16. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

Personally, I set my AVX offset based on heat output. (7700k)
    Running 8K FFTs on older non-AVX Prime95 to get the control temps, then ran newer Prime95 which uses AVX and compared temps, adjusted offset to match.
    Off the top of my head, pretty sure I ended up with a -3 offset, might've been -4.
    I'm not really that fussed at all tbh, I don't think any of my day to day usage even runs AVX instruction set.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  17. shane41

shane41 Member

Not really the point. Way it is used to show a processor more powerful than another. Looking @ those scores on HWbot a long while now.
    Scores all in row doing eg 51 multi then x1 in there doing 54x.

There is a point to NEG avx setting in a bios. We are so used to a computer that makes things easier for us. Coffeelake can get to 5Ghz on it's own
    FuKK all you have to do is press the power button basically. XPOWER MSI boards have auto OC buttons/ dials ... boom x49 shit easy.

That modern OC has been made easy. Why :confused: So a novice can OC like a champion.
    That drives up sales because all say man I hit 5Ghz on the Coffeelake is my example

18. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Im a bit like this too, no use saying it passed XTU at 5.2ghz with -3 offset .... not if your testing XTU anyway.

:Pirate:

19. headin2001

headin2001 Member

It's shows though if you do. The max clock will only be the offset.

XTU stresstest doesn't have AVX though I think. Didn't take a huge amount of notice.

20. Pursuit

Pursuit Member

Headin here is Cinebench with no aircon running. My ambient temperature is 26 degrees with the aircon off. I have included my memory timings to show I am running at XMP. The only thing I changed is the Command Rate to 1 in the bios, all other timings are on auto in the bios. As you can see my water temp is now at 26 degrees. My cpu is not delidded.

[​IMG]