1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold fusion reactor independently verified

Discussion in 'Science' started by Doc-of-FC, May 22, 2013.

1. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Very interesting read. If it's true, then we can convert nickle+hydrogen into copper, produce a whole bunch of energy to use as power, and then also getting copper back as a sell-able commodity. That's a fantastic outcome. :thumbup:

3. OldMate

OldMate Member

Now that's cool. Really cool.
    Hopefully they work out how to make it even more efficient and start producing power, and the greenies don't find something wrong with it.

4. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

5. [PnP]dredd

[PnP]dredd Member

I hope that this is real, but I have my doubts.

In particular, the test was conducted at the premises of Rossi's business. I would want to see this device moved to an independant laboratory to remove the opportunity for manipulation.

The draft paper says that:

In the March test, about 62 net kWh were produced, with a consumption of
    about 33 kWh.... In the December test, about 160 net kWh were produced, with a consumption of 35 kWh.

6. [PnP]dredd

[PnP]dredd Member

I think that claim refers to previous tests. This one appears to be an independant test conducted by researchers from European Universities. It should be fairly easy for journos to check their credentials and whether they actually authored the draft paper which describes the tests (linked in previous post).

This appears to be similar to the faster-than-light paper from a while ago - proper scientists observing something they can't explain and putting it out there for the broader community to peer review and discuss. In that case, the observed effect was not real (damaged cable I think?).

7. oculi

oculi Member

pretty simple to test this thing without the risk of finding out what his magic "secret sauce" is, define your boundary, meaure energy going in and energy coming out. i don't care what is going on inside the sealed metal tube as thermodynamics doesn't get bogged down in that kind of irrelevant detail.

8. [PnP]dredd

[PnP]dredd Member

9. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

As noted above, the test was done in Rossi's premises, not completely independent.

10. oculi

oculi Member

11. [PnP]dredd

[PnP]dredd Member

Actually, you are completely correct. Apologies for posting that without reading it more thouroughly.

12. antipody

antipody Member

13. twisar

twisar Member

I look forward to a brave new future where energy is practically free, naturally we have enough nickel for the whole world. and enough of the mysterious 'secret sauce'. New Caledonia and Australia owne 1/2 the worlds nickel, we should annex NC and then sell the mineral rights to Gina, we wont tax her thought, that'd be unfair.

I'm sceptical but lack sufficient sciency stuff in my brain to refute it.

14. Dopefish

Dopefish Member

I think france would be a little bit annoyed

15. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Interesting thread in that I learned something, it isn't all that hard to do fusion at home. OK, that's not going to let you power anything but still your own Fusor has got to be pretty darn cool.

16. antipody

antipody Member

Five reasons Cold Fusion is bunk..

http://news.discovery.com/tech/alternative-power-sources/5-reasons-cold-fusion-bunk-130528.htm

They're reasonable, but to be fair, nothing in there disproves anything.

Also an article has recently appeared in Wired....

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/24/cold-fusion-research

You'd think, if it was genuine, the tech should have been rolled out much faster than this. I mean, if it's not a hoax, this is the most revolutionary technology perhaps in human history.

17. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Well no.
    The first slide mentions the Coulomb Barrier. My enquiring mind decided to try to understand that better only to learn that according to what we know fusion is also impossible inside our Sun.

http://www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~pac/PH112/notes/notes/node111.html

It needs a temperature of 1.6x 1010K which is 1,000 time hotter than the Sun. Even allowing for the energy distribution of the particles we still get the answer of no fusion in the Sun.

That's what keeps me very firmly believing it's a hoax. The smoke about protecting patent right etc, etc is pure BS. If this is the real deal even without getting a nickel out of licensing your name would be writ large in the history of mankind and no doubt we'd bestow riches beyond their wildest dreams on them anyway.

18. twisar

twisar Member

Thats classical physics. The next few pages detail how quantum tunnelling overides the limitations of the Coulomb Barrier. Cold fusion is bunk either way..

19. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

:o Thanks, an interesting read.

I now understand how fusion happens in a fusor at not too difficult to produce temperatures.

20. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

I would like nothing better than apparent quackery like the eCat to be proven valid. Just think of what it would mean to humanity if there really was a clean simple way to generate power as per the eCat claim!