1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold fusion reactor independently verified

Discussion in 'Science' started by Doc-of-FC, May 22, 2013.

1. Tabris

Tabris Member

Show me the neutrons.

2. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

http://www.fusor.net/ is a good starting point.

No you cannot buy a kit and you cannot make one with a 3D printer. That doesn't seemed to have stopped those that have done it in their garage.

3. ernie

ernie Member

Mr Fusion

Lockheed thinks they can now make a working fusion power station.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-lockheed-fusion-idUSKCN0I41EM20141015

But will it run on banana skins?

- Ernie.

4. Tabris

Tabris Member

5. IPW

IPW Member

I hope this is legitimate, a company like Lockheed wouldn't normally throw out wild claims without being able to back it up would they? This is big news :)

6. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Scientists Are Bashing Lockheed Martin's Nuclear Fusion 'Breakthrough'.

100MW on the back of a truck, no way. They might fit the 100MW fusion gizmo on the back of a truck but the neutrons streaming out of it have to be coaxed into giving up their energy as heat to raise steam to drive a turbine to turn a generator. On an aircraft carrier maybe but not on the back of a truck. Even 10MW on the back of truck doesn't seem feasible.

I sure hope this is all the fault of Lockheed's PR people. I too want this to come true.

7. OldMate

OldMate Member

They say the reactor could fit on the back of a truck, though that might just be the journalist being a spud and using only the dimensions of it.

But Lockheed Martin don't tend to claim they can do shit that they can't do.

8. Foliage

Foliage Member

They haven't claimed they can do it, just said they have proven the physics and need 5 iterations to build a working design, then they can confirm if it works and makes more power than it consumes.

This is just to drum up interest, they haven't built anything yet.

9. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Interest or funding?
    Lockheed's bottom line has been driven by government funded secret projects for the US military. Great work if you can get it, all your failures are kept secret and you only need to get a select group of generals drooling at the mouth over something to get further funding. That funding is evaporating. As the scientists who are working in the field have pointed out Lockheed has contributed nothing to the global effort and yet they claim to have been at work for over 5 years.

The USA is already spending serious money on fusion at the National Ignition Facility. Europe is already spending serious money on fusion with ITER. Both of those projects are being done under the gaze of peer review. Lockheed's spin seems mostly aimed at the US Navy and air craft carriers yet if fusion reactors can be made to work and be built at an affordable cost the need for aircraft carriers is going to vanish. If Lockheed knows something the rest of the world's scientists have missed they should publish what they know. I'm not knocking Lockheed's capabilities, the design of the SR-71's engines that they come up with using pencil, paper and slide rule remains an exemplar of technical innovation that'll probably never be exceeded.

10. ernie

ernie Member

It's Lockheeds target market is milking the public purse, the Reuters article could have easily just been released to help gain some funding, after all the rest of the work has been done in secret, why tell the world now before it's complete?

- Ernie.

11. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

FWIW Lockheed has basically nothing to do with the design of the Pratt & Whitney J-58. That engine was already designed and built before the A-12/SR-71 was thought of, but Ben Rich from Lockheed did certainly do the vast majority of the extremely clever design of the inlet & exhaust system.

12. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

LM's video:

13. scorpydude

scorpydude Member

@3.20 in that video...

something tells me that dude will be retiring after they make it work ;-)

14. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

I was aware of the pre-existence of the J-58, it was as you say the work on the inlet and exhaust systems to turn it into a turboramjet that impresses me. Until recently I didn't even realise the inlet spike moved.

15. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Couple of conspiratorial events for the nut jobs:

- Rossi's test results come out
    - research performed by previous mockers (not published yet) says particles only possible in the presence of fusion found on device post-test; they claim fusion has taken place in some form
    - Oil markets suddenly start losing value
    - near-record losses across all major financial markets
    - universities around the world rid themselves of traditional energy shares
    - Lockheed suddenly announces a competitive 'product'.

:shock:

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

Almost none of those things have actually happened. You should be ashamed posting that in the science forum.

17. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Says he who just wrote "incredible taste for a vegetarian burger" in another thread - which is clearly unexcusable in any form of communication. :lol:

18. Foliage

Foliage Member

Are you drunk?

19. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

Such a contrast between the discussion here and on Whirlpool on this subject. Over there some people actually believe this will lead to cheap unlimited electricity within their lifetime!

20. Foliage

Foliage Member

Link ?