Collecting Precious Metals from Electronics

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by weee ben, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Member

I had a box full of 486 DX,DX2 and DX4 overdrives at one stage and just picked the nicest looking one of each and gave the rest away.... nooooooo!

The Pentium 2 overdrive was about the hardest one for me to find at the time, I remember it costing me about ~$120 or something and being shipped from Germany.

2. shane41

shane41 Member

I'm the most tolerant person on the planet. But I am passionate about saving the old machines as part of history before they're all lost.

I don't support willful destruction of part that are unknown condition & worthwhile to be salvaged.

+ They're are salvage centers on the tip that will recycle/ resell good parts back to the public.

He wastes they're time / effort / labour checking these parts RIPPING THE GUTS OUT !! Not to mention that person come along to the curb, see an old part & take it home.

Have I mentioned this behavior is likened to a pirate. Even his comments about the Lady that snips the cord in the video. He's the professional version to this. But at least you can solder a lead back in, ratshit try fix his damage.

If 99% of public have throw away mentality on old parts & they're already gone & buried under waste. Then what chance is there to save the 1% remainder with characters like this.

No I do not like it !!

On my quest to buy Pentium Pro 200 processors from Ebay.com I was greeted with countless pages of gold recovery scrap heaps x10 pages sometimes of these classic processors piled in a heap like rubbish.

[​IMG]

Would not be killing these parts if the gold prices not so high.

Managed to chat to a seller < assume has a dozen ebay accounts anyway >
    Rather big chat over days......funny how pictures of these great processors were later orderly & presented nicely in photo's.

To be respected / these old processors 7 boards :thumbup:
    Part of history, not stupid gold fragment. !!!

Yes sure my chat played a part in that. Realized was the value to the collectors worldwide.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/CPUs-Proces...fLoc=2&_dcat=164&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

End Rant Part 1 /

[​IMG]

3. partybear

partybear Member

This is really cool, I like seeing so many cpus and rams at once it is a shame they don't do the rubbish pickup where i live. Are you sure that the values you gave earlier are what you can recover reliably from the cpus?

I have a whole bunch of them in working order and I wouldn't hesitate to trade them for that much gold each haha.

4. OP
    OP
    weee ben

weee ben Member

Picking up scrap from hard rubbish

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

CRTs are wonderful technology, and it's pretty sad to see them being stripped for copper or parts.

The lead-lined tube is the worst bit for the environment. The fact that these are being thrown out is a shame in itself.

CRTs are pretty easy to fix, and look great in home made arcade machines. I try to rescue as many as I can, and keep them in active life in people's homes.

It makes me really sad on kerbside collection day when I see street after street of TVs that have been stripped of copper, and are now just lumps of lead heading for landfill. :upset:

6. pelmen

pelmen Member

it is a shame so many people do throw out perfectly good things. I grew up in extreme poverty and i learnt to use what little i could find to its fullest. My first employer threw out a Bang and Olufsen amp because it didnt fit his feng shui. 30 yrs on i still use it often. it works and no need to replace it. I also collect stamps and so many people just throw out inherited stamp collections when they find out how little they are really worth. its just such a waste. I've always donated anything old I've "upgraded" so at least my old item goes to someone who will use it.

But things do break and sometimes just cant feasibly be fixed and scraping it for parts at least gives it a chance to contribute in part to something else. also "old" is sometimes JUST old, doesn't make it historical. 99% of cast out trash is just that: trash. You're first computer will not be of interest ever to any museums. Everyone has their own idea of what's interesting so home DIY salvagers are not blindly destroying everything they find, whereas "recycle centers" do exactly that.

7. apsilon

apsilon Member

Funny to see people saying CRTs are in demand. A few years back I had about 300 to get rid of. All working 17" mix of Compaqs and Viewsonic. Couldn't give them away. Schools didn't want them, charities didn't want them, staff didn't want them even recyclers wouldn't take them unless I paid them. They all ended up in the compactor.

8. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Jeez, way to go on an uninvited personal attack. I think recycling the metal is a great idea. Not everything is going to last or needs to last forever :rolleyes:

9. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

If you ever find something called a Quadro or a FirePro take a photo before and after. I have a damascus steel knife in front of me that has silver inlaying on it, that might be worth a few cents. And some steel I suppose but that's only like 6c a kg IIRC and some bone but I'm pretty sure that's worthless.

I'm sort of half and half. I mean I have $~50 of scrap pure copper behind me as I write but I'm not one to destroy that that still works and has a use even if that use isn't what it was intended for.

I have a use for the copper as well though, make an ingot with it and machine it.

10. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Like most things, it depends. There are Pentium Pros that can go for up to US$100 to collectors. For example, the 150Mhz one that does not have 'Pentium Pro' printed on the gold cap. Also, engineering samples can go for more than $200 each. These will look just like normal Pentium Pro chips to the untrained eye.

The same goes for most older ceramic cpus. Certain models or speeds go for WAY more than the regular ones. Even among chips of the same speed, some steppings are more valueable than others to collectors.

Its a pity that so many nice chips get scrapped among the vast majority of worthless ones. However, CPU collecting is getting more popular very quickly and many nice chips are being saved.

11. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I'm a big fan of re-using & repurposing wherever possible but hoarders collectors eventually die in a pile of their own filth and whomever is left to clean up the mess does so in the cheapest way possible with a skip so you end up harming the environment much worse than if you were to recycle the metals in the first place.

Good on you weee ben for seeing the real value in old things, and reducing the strain on the environment in having to produce more precious metals so someone can put it on a shelf for nostalgia.

12. elvis

You're looking at this in a vacuum.

Pulling the copper off a CRT is recycling the copper. But the lead-lined chassis ends up as landfill, which is a much bigger problem.

Repurposing/reusing a CRT is reusing 100% of the components, and keeping everything out of landfill.

Reuse >> Recycle, every time. Same goes for anything. Recycling is better than landfill, but it's not a perfect solution for a lot of reasons.

I urge people to find out how old things work, and teach others how to do the same (fixing old broken things is a great task to do with kids). Repair them, keep them out of landfill, and save the environment by using them all over again instead of throwing away the dangerous parts and convincing yourself you're still doing some good. We live in a wasteful, throw-away society that's managed to convince itself it's being green by recycling, when often we're still doing terrible things, and convincing ourselves we're doing good.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  13. partybear

partybear Member

I wouldn't really consider any of this stuff rare anyway, how many pentiums pros were built and sold? Millions?

14. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Well, hopefully as much as possible would be recycled. But I think you're overestimating how many people actually want CRTs or want pieces of history sitting around for the sake of showing someone "hey, look how it used to be" which will take all of 10 minutes then never get touched again.

15. elvis

The roaring social and financial success of retro computing and gaming museums all across Europe beg to differ with your statement.

Regardless of that fact, there are people out there willing to spend their time and money stocking CRTs (I know quite a few - go visit the Aussie Arcade or BYOAC communities for thousands more). What's amusing is the obvious rush in which greedy copper collectors race around in the pre-dawn twilight hours, desperate to pull the copper coils off CRTs before the "collect and repair" people like myself show up.

It's VERY clear their greed for a dollar has nothing to do with environmental conciousness, because if it did they'd be far more concerned about the then-useless lead-lined tube that is entirely functionless without the copper coil they removed, and is the far more dangerous and pressing environmental issue as is now 100% guaranteed to be landfill (unlike before the copper removal, where there was still a chance of extended life from the unit).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. OP
    OP
    weee ben

weee ben Member

Next up is pulling gold pins from plugs & boards.. enjoy!

17. OP
    OP
    weee ben

weee ben Member

LCD TV's are starting to pile up on the scrap heap, whilst there's a few circuit boards in lcd tv's, Finger Strip Boards are a new addition to e-scrap & gold recovery..

18. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

What can you tell us about the chemistry side of this? Are you using cyanide to extract the gold?

Wait, are you even using chemistry or do you just melt it all down into a slug as sell as an impure ingot?

19. apsilon

apsilon Member

I don't think he's extracting anything yet.

I did a little research over the weekend and from what I saw, 1kg of fingers would yield around 5g of gold. I think that's about $250 at current prices to buy. If you're selling it'd be less. Take away the costs of collecting the stuff (fuel, general vehicle wear and tear and not to mention your time which you'll never get back), having to store it until you have enough worth processing, the costs of the chemicals and PPE and you'd really need to be doing truckloads of the stuff to really be worth while in terms of dollars.

20. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Yeah that's what I thought. I recently saw a TV show on Foxtel's A&E channel, and it was a hybrid show of storage locker auctions with metal extraction. One dude got a locker full of old PC gear, while another guy contracted a team to vacuum up the carpet of an old jewelry store.
    Each team only got maybe $1000USD of gold, but the costs associated with it meant only a few hundred $ profit.