ColorHug - Open Source Colorimeter (Monitor Calibrator)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Menthu_Rae, May 28, 2012.

1. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

So I just got my Colorhug Colorimeter in the mail...

http://www.hughski.com/

Cost me 57 GBP delivered (~$95 at PayPal exchange rates). I thought I'd go with it since I run Linux primarily on my desktop and I could be sure that the software/resultant colour profiles would work with Linux - the guy who made it is the guy who has been revamping colour management in Linux over the past few years. :weirdo:

Will be testing it out tonight on my Dell U3011. Thought I'd make this thread for anyone else who has one to share their experiences. I can do a bit of a review depending on how the actual calibration goes ;) :thumbup:

2. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Thanks for the heads up on this - managed colour output is the core thing missing from my raw workflow on linux atm

3. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I really like the idea of this, shame about no windows / mac os x software as the profiles won't be useful if made on a different OS with a different display driver :(

4. Athiril

Athiril Member

Should it be that different if you're using the nVidia or ATi downloaded drivers, etc?

5. OP
    OP
    Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Well, that's the beauty of it being open source (hardware included!) - someone can write a program to use the hardware in whatever OS they want, if they wish :)

The guy is also looking at making a photo-spectrometer - so yeah it is an exciting project IMO and hopefully continues to have some backing behind it for some time to come. :thumbup:

6. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Nope.

If you want a profile something, needs to be done as it will run. Too many variables.