1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Colour Printing pricing

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Malks, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Malks

Malks Member

Hi All,

Going through a review of our printing solutions at present of a 400 person professional services office.

Currently have contracts with provider at X rate and we're spending a LOT on color printing.

Im looking to get some pricing of some outsourced printing solutions. Does anyone have any Melb CBD contacts for printing and what kind of price per page i'd be looking at for color?

(NB We are also looking at culture etc to change our printing mentality)

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Just on the culture thing.. How are you set up to print at the moment? Are people set to default to black and white print? I know when my company went through this we found the bulk of colour printing was people printing off emails that were 99% b&w with a colour logo at the bottom :rolleyes:

3. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

I work in printing, I work for Snap in Sydney.

I am trying to understand your request, do you want to outsource all your colour printing needs to a print supplier?

What kind of turn around will you give them?
    What kind of print work, brochures, flyers, training manuals?

Depending on the amount of print work you have, it sounds like you need someone to manage it, have you thought about using a print broker.

google Print Broker Melbourne and see what you get, Try these people

Otherwise if cost is the issue, you may want to look at some heavy duty print machinery to be installed inhouse, Xerox/Konica Minolta/, they can be installed on a lease basis and you will get charged per click basis. Works out cheaper then outsourcing.

4. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

If it's for an office printer :

1. Lease a colour printer with full servicing and pay per page.
    2. Default to black and white printing to the office. Colour printing requires a dept ID and pin (to allocate colour printing costs).
    3. Negotiate with companies. Konica Minolta will do 0.7c / black and white and 7c colour prints. I believe Ricoh will do it for 5-6c, but the Ricoh print quality is hit and miss and reliability is flakey at times... not sure I'd risk a non-functioning printer for 1/2 a day.... Canon will do it for 8-9c per colour page but their service and print quality is top notch... Especially important for presentations.

5. Munity

Munity Member

depending on available internal resources, may be cheaper over 5 years to do it internally.

6. OP
    OP
    Malks

Malks Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

For transparency and to assist you all to provide further recommendations we already have an existing deal with Xerox @ 6c per page.

My question is therefore two fold

1) For large printing (manuals / proposals / promotional material) is it possible I can get it cheaper by outsourcing? Or is that going to be about as good as it gets?

2) What other effective systems have you seen/put in place to minimize unnecessary color printing. Scripts that automatically change default printers back to Black and White etc?

7. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Personally I've never seen it cheaper outsourcing. What you're after is a change of culture within your business. The auditing (where costs are allocated by department) reduced colour printing by a bit, however the biggest improvement was defaulting to black/white when you log in and requiring a password to print colour. Everyone knew the password for their dept, but it was just a reminder that they could print black and white for items not requiring colour printing.

We did this by having 2 printer drivers for the one printer (one black and white with no password required) and the other was colour. Login would default to the black and white printer. If the user wanted colour then they would manually select the colour printer. (rather than just set colour to be on and forget about it).

8. scrantic

scrantic Member

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

We have our printers set up to default to b&w printing. If users want colour they have to manually select it each time. We haven't bothered with a password setup, but it wouldn't surprise me if the order for that came down eventually.

Making that change caused a lot of whinging and complaining from users, but lead to a fairly significant cost cut.

10. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I've got a guy at Konica you can speak to.

Indicative pricing they offered for another client of mine is about 250 per month for the printer, plus 2c per page bw and 18c per page colour, if i remember correcty. the 250 per month includes the lease fee for the printer, plus maintenance contract includes all toner, repairs, drums, etc, over the life of the lease.

if you want me to pass your details on, drop me a PM

(as a side note, I get no kickbacks, referrals or anything like that.)

11. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Dude.... at 18c/page colour, you should go somewhere else. 10c/page colour is *absolute maximum* you should pay and if they cant offer that in initial proposal, then walk.

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

1c for black, 10c for colour - been this way for 6-10 years.

In Metro you should be .6/black and 6-7/colour

Add 3-4 cents if they are supplying the paper.

This is with Fuji-Xerox Copiers over 3 years.

13. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I could be way off with my prices.. :)
    it was from recollection rather than looking at a quote

on review - yes, sub-10c for colour and sub-1c for bw

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Think we're on about .9c b&w and 11-13c colour, paper inclusive. Currently with KM, but was fairly similar pricewise with Ricoh before hand.

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

If the bulk of your "colour" is company letterheads etc - and they are "4 colour" (i.e your logo can be offset print) get it done on a press, pre-printed. Then use secondary paper tray's to pick it. So long as you buy in 5-10k you will get them done for around your B&W price + paper.

As far as a promo material, it really depends on what you want. Quite frankly, if you can wait 3-6 weeks and want bulk, nothing beats getting it done in china. It may take you a few samples to get it right, but they will and nothing can touch it.

If you need to be more agile with your marketing, look at local options - try and find trade printers that have a retail arm - the less they have to outsource, the better your price will be.

If you need to be more agile still - well Ricoh make some pretty serious professional copiers, but bring your wallet.

* Use a B&W Driver (most copier vendors do a B&W only driver - or you can lock down their driver to a B&W only profile). Simply setting it as the default for everyone usually results in a huge cutdown in colour prints per month.
    * If its really that much (we're talking $1000's per month), look at a dept costing add-on such as papercut - speak to your copier rep about them.

16. OP
    OP
    Malks

Malks Member

As far as disincentive for printing in colour what have people found is successful?

17. thedrover

thedrover Member

Recently got on the Papercut bandwagon here at work (independent secondary school) and coincidentally have spent the arvo working with it.

Very powerful program - and you can set a filter to convert all jobs to a specific queue to grayscale. We generally have a separate queue for B&W and colour, with the B&W as default for users.

18. bacco|007

bacco|007 Member

Is internal cost recovery an option? We cut down our printing costs by re-charging the CPP based on usage, by pushing the costs back to each section it showed how much printing we did (also our Environmental impact).

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

EVERY COLOUR PAGE YOU PRINT IS $5 DOCKED FROM YOUR PAY.

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Publishing amounts saved works ok, and can be used as a carrot rather than a stick.

Set target, meet target, buy beer #win.

We've moved to a print release system (user needs to manually release print job at printer) which seems to cut down the amount of wasted prints.