I'm not sure if I should call this a restore, it's more of a contrived excuse to play around with C64 hardware again. About 5 years ago I picked up a couple of sad looking C64s with a view to a) having some spare parts around for my existing C64, and b) to restore one of their cases for a Raspberry Pi media center. The media center came and went, but recently I got a bee in my bonnet about C64 emulation so I set about looking into RetroPi / Combian64 and got as far as installing the hardware and software back into the empty C64 case. At some point I became aware of a terrible emptiness inside (of both me and the case) - emulation is a great option but I'm more interested in the hardware at the end of the day, so pulled out my box of spares, chose the best looking motherboard, and decided to simply put together a real C64 instead. The motherboard in question actually worked fine so I could have just chucked it into the case and been finished with this in 10 minutes, but that's no fun. So here comes the contrived list of fixes: repair 1 busted motherboard mount replace the rubber feet on the case replace all electrolytic capacitors JiffyDOS - either a physical replacement of the ROM or via the ROM overload functionality in my 1541 Ultimate replace case badges with some nicer ones - need to work out how to get the existing ones off without trashing them (I think I glued them on) socket the PLA chip; a likely source of failure in my limited experience replace SID with an ARMSID (existing SID works fine but I've been meaning to try out a clone, and the ARMSID sounds like a good place to start) put a heatsink on the VIC-II chip, they get quite hot. Heatsink the PLA if using an original too. replace the red LED with a green one, just for fun. I'll update this thread as I go but here's what I'm starting with - an assembly 250425 board, rev. B. This seems to be the most common board in these parts - all 4 C64s I've come across locally have been this assembly. This one's pretty clean with no corrosion or significant rust. The tape port has some wear but I won't be using that, I use a 1541 Ultimate 2. The floppy drive port looks pristine, so I'm guessing this was a tape-only machine like most were in AU from what I understand. And here's the case getting some love ~5 years ago. I bought this lot for 60 bucks and didn't think I got a great deal at the time, but even untested machines are getting pricey these days. Both cases were yellowed and I ended up painting one of them - not ideal but I got lucky with the colour match and was happy with the end result.