Commodore 64x

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Dec 19, 2010.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

2. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Looks good!

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

This is the perfect option for people looking for an all-in-one emulation box to go under their TV.

I'm definitely going to get one for my games room. Been needing a PC in there for a while, but didn't want to have a boring tower case in there.

4. Mau1wurf1977

Hmm for "all in one" personally I would rather buy a normal nettop, but for a dedicated C64 box this is fantastic.

5. Reaper

Reaper Member

Where are the joystick ports? Or does it include "original style" usb ones?

6. Mau1wurf1977

That would be USB seeing it uses emulation...

It also has a squirrel fan at the back :D

7. Reaper

Reaper Member

I hope it would include two original style usb sticks. If not, then its interest value for me is pretty low.

So I guess they will include or make available the entire set of c64 games ever made too?

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Their products page suggests they will release game controllers into the future:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Accessories.aspx

I'll be keeping an eye on them.

Either way, remember that the C64 was just a DSUB9 connector. Hacking up a generic USB interface for that is trivial, and would cover you for a wide range of retro computers and consoles of that era that all did the same thing.

If I bought one of these and it sat under the gamesroom TV, then I'd probably just load it up with emulators anyway. I'm trying to avoid anything modern looking in my games room. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. Reaper

Reaper Member

Cool, they better release the controllers, otherwise, it's a pretty pointless machine.

Sure you can hack it up, or even plug in a usb pad I want original styled sticks dammit, but really, I'm over that, just release a proper package.

I can't click the buy now button, anyone got a price?

10. Mau1wurf1977

The images all appear to be renders. I guess it's still "work in progress".

11. Krumm

Krumm Member

was there an actual official joystick, i found i went through lots of them in my younger days i was a bit too vigorous with them but the megadrive gamepad worked well in the end loved the d-sub9 connection.

Kept all my games, would be awesome to have a disk drive accessory :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  12. Mau1wurf1977

I remember my C64 coming with some Commodore Joysticks.

But there where other brands with much more influence like the famous Competition Pro or Quickshot models.

I remember these joysticks breaking ALL THE TIME. So using a Mega Drive gamepad is actually a very good idea!

13. mugginz

mugginz Member

Wasn't there issues with this mob at one stage? There was a bit of a curfuffle about a company doing a PC in a Commodore 64 case on one of the retro C-64 boards. Just wondering if this is the same company.

14. flain

flain Member

surely those old c64 joysticks were designed to break so we had to keep buying new ones :p

I remember opening one of my broken ones up and it wasn't something you could solder to repair, it had a sheet of thin metal that the joystick would press down on that simply snapped off after a lot of use :/. Donno why no one released a stick made with the micro switches in the arcade sticks - it would of been the best :p

15. mugginz

mugginz Member

16. dreamcaster

dreamcaster Member

I remember looking at this quite a while ago now. Hopefully they get it released in the not to distant future, I have quite fond memories of the C64 and picking up one of these would be great!

17. Mau1wurf1977

Oh they all had micro switches! These joysticks made a lot of noise. Click, click, click...

I remember that you could buy these switches and replace faulty ones. The Competition joysticks where quite robust.

18. flain

flain Member

I was thinking of these ones which i now realise are Atari (i used them on C64 and Atari ST though!). Wrist breaking fun. Half the skill required to play the games was holding and using the thing with accuracy :p

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  19. Franc

Franc Member

Well the pics up now dont look like renders (and if they were tehy wouldnt have rendeded it with a black CDRom tray which looks ugly.

I do expect this to be very very expensive (stuff liek cherry keys arent cheap) though i would dearly love one.

Re joysticks: they didnt have microswitches, they used leaf switches which sucked. Unless you had a wico or a quickshot youd go through many sticks (I know I did). Id rather just a decent gamepad, personally. Still be good to play. I have an atari emulator built in one of their sticks, and the ergonomics still feel awful...

20. OP
    OP
    elvis