Commodore Colt

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by matz, Apr 22, 2018.

1. matz

matz Member

Decided to dig out and clean up the Colt this weekend.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In great condition aside from the dust. Never seen onboard video, floppy and hard disk controllers on an XT, quite unique. Had a nasty 3.6v battery which had leaked a tiny bit.

[​IMG]

Anyway everything off to the sink for a scrub up and swift desoldering of the battery.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Floppy heads were pretty dirty and the drives made all sorts of grinding noises when in operation, so rails were clean and lubricated.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Threw in a coprocessor just to see if it worked, it did!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Unfortunately the hard drive was a bit cranky, making noises similar to the floppies before they were lubricated. Drive would read a bit then grind a bit then error out. Looked like the stepper motor was seized up. Put a but of oil on the outside bearing, didn't work so thought I'd take it off and do both sides.

[​IMG]

Whilst that in fact did do the job, unfortunately a washer was somehow left loose inside the case, it worked for all of 30 seconds before I picked it up to move it and the washer made it's way into the moving parts and.... well let's just say it's fucked.

RIP WD93028-X... a bit annoying but there are a few of them around on ebay.

[​IMG]

Anyway reassembled the machine and everything is working as it should and looking sweet if you ask me.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Decided not to retrobright this as I'm not going to keep it so whoever it ends up with can make that call. Will be in the Retro FS section shortly.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    cyanpixie, Phido, nimmers and 6 others like this.
  2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Got any c64 breadbins tucked away? Lmk if you do

3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

The Atari PC's are unique in the same way (although they didn't go as far as having a onboard hard disk controller that is really cool). I think with Atari and Commodore when it came to them designing IBM Compatible PC's they were looking at it from a different angle than "traditional" PC makers were. They were both used to designing Computers which had just about everything on the motherboard so why not do what they did best and continue that feature with the an IBM PC clone?

I think you'll find too that the 9 pin serial looking port next to the composite out is for the Amiga "Tank" mouse as far as I'm aware. It's a similar unique feature Atari did with their XT's in having an Atari ST Mouse compatible port and took it a step further in having an Atari compatible external floppy drive port onboard as well.

While in the end both Atari and Commodore's PC line didn't have the success they both hoped, they sure did some cool things with their PC's. :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    matz

matz Member

Flamin Joe likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    matz

matz Member

I do, but only one, it's on my backlog for restoration and addition to the personal collection :D

6. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Nice post resto thread when u do it :D

Thank you for replying

7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I was looking for some old PC advertisements and stumbled across this Aussie TV advertisement for the Commodore PC series featuring John Laws. I knew he did some adverts for the Commodore 64 but didn't know he did the Commodore PC series as well.

Very cheesey of course, it's the 80's. :D

matz and adz like this.
  8. adz

adz Member

Love it! Cheesy 80's is where it's at :thumbup:

Flamin Joe likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    matz

matz Member

Finally got around to doing some benchmarking on the weekend, the colt has some handy keyboard shortcuts that allow you to adjust the CPU speed on the fly.
    • CTRL+ALT+S switches the CPU to the “Standard” 4.77MHz speed
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• CTRL+ALT+T switches the CPU to the “Turbo” 7.16MHz speed
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• CTRL+ALT+D switches the CPU to the “Double” 9.54MHz speed
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Odd that both Landmark and TopBench were reporting different frequencies but anyway you get the idea...

10. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Ooh baby, that Landmark speed test takes me back.