Common engagement model for one-off work?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by blankpaper, Oct 28, 2019.

1. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Hi, this is kind of suitable for both the career section but I'm only asking in relation to graphic design work, so admins move if necessary. I thought here would get the more relevant audience, that's all.

I need some graphic design work done but not sure how it works for this type of work. For context, it's a small business' logo in a few different sizes, total 2-3 ways to suit different documents.

- I don't really know what I want it to look like (other than colour palette to match company colours) but is it fair for me to engage someone without having a better idea what I want? A small business logo should be 'easy', but I have almost no creativity in my bones :lol:
    - is it fair to ask for the original works (vector graphics/layered image/.psd/whatever) so I can make future alterations myself? I had a powerpoint presentation done on freelancer and the images were all flattened so I couldn't really make any alterations myself later, which was the freelancer's tactic to make sure I come back to him for anything no matter how big or small. Seemed a little sneaky but not sure if it's just how the industry works?
    - what if they produce 3-4 examples and I don't like any? How does payment typically work here? I can't expect them to invest time and effort and risk walking away with nothing, doesn't seem fair, even if I don't want the resulting work. I'm sure some customers pretend they don't like any and avoid payment to try get the image for free
    - is this normally a pre-negotiated price for the resulting work? I.e. they'd know I want 2-3 images, so $xx per image? Or is it negotiated differently?

Trying to get a better understanding so it's a smoother process for all involved. Thanks!

2. miicah

miicah Member

I'm sure this is super common. For this exact reason

3. PunX0r

PunX0r Member

I'd be happy to have a look at what you need done and give you a fair indication of price if you would like to PM me?

4. sirshelldrake

sirshelldrake Member

- If you don't know what you want, how will the designer know? I work in a related industry, my biggest red flag is the comment "I don't really know what I want it to look like". The designer can do 100 designs you will keep saying that's not it, driving him nuts, driving you nuts and everyone becomes bitter with each other. You already know the colours. great. get a couple of samples of what other people have done that is similar and also try to get to a solid idea of what the message you want to get across is.
    - re original artwork files. very debatable and will depend on different circumstances. From what I understand, most designers don't give the vector files out for a multitude of reasons. If you specifically ask for the files and pay a reasonable rate for them, then I would expect to get the files. There are work arounds if the designer won't give you the files.
    -regarding samples and pricing, how long is a piece of string? so many variable, you being the biggest and hardest to work with. Spend some time to understand exactly what you after. The easier you make the graphic designer life, the easier he will make your life. the other factor you need to consider is what is your budget and be clear about that. You could spend anywhere from $50 up to a couple of grand.

hope that helps.