Compact mATX Build - Jonsbo/Rosewill/Cooltek U3

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by sammy_b0i, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Azzan

Azzan Member

Linus Tech also made ITX gaming systems Silverstone Raven/SG13 etc with Titan X, but my ideal ITX gaming case would be smaller version of SG05(-2cm height, -4cm depth) with 65W 4690S/5675C + NH-L9i + SX500-LG + GTX970 Mini.

2. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Interesting build. Not sure I would have bothered considering how poor the overall design of the case is, and how much modding you needed to do to get it to the same functionality as a normal retail case.

That said, I quite like the appearance and the rounded corners, and it's refreshing seeing a silver case again (we only started using black because we couldn't get DVD drives in silver, right?)

But really, you should get some black tape and hide that awful logo on the video card - that looks absolutely shithouse. :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Heh, I know what you mean. In a way, I liked it because it was a different case. I wanted something silver, something with an elegant tinge to it, where the rounded/brushed Alu comes in, but yeah, with the effort to make it have the same functionality as a ase with working filters, and fan mounts, it would have been easier to just find something off the shelf.. but this has given me a case that's very small for what it can hold, some good hardware to go with it and it'll do me for hopefully the next long while and stop me wasting money on hardware changes :p

As for the logo, I think from memory you can control it and turn it off? I'll have to look into that too because it certainly doesn't match anything else in there :p

Edit: you can, using the Geforce Experience app. Looking into it now :)

Double edit: super easy to turn off, or lower the brightness way down. I've got it set to 2% so its barely visible and not hidden by the shadow of the HSF.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

yeah, nice work - its tiny!! i like the fact you had to wedge the 970 in it! :thumbup:

i also like that you can sit it on the desk and actually have the buttons and usb slots on the front face have the window facing you.

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I like it - always had a fondness for powerful but small boxes. Post some benchmarks when it's all up and running.

6. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Heh, cheers. That's what I was going for. Sick of cases with wasted space. Just wanted as small as possible but not limited to mitx cases, boards and cards. Still have expandability, can fit a giant D15 in the case if needed.

As for the USB ports, tell me about it, sick of seeing the I/O on the top, or on the opposite side. Nice to actually both see a window and have everything in easy reach.

Will do, Agg. Currently going but Lycom card is on board for delivery today, just have to work out if it's worth cloning my current install across or doing a fresh one. Haven't cloned before so it'll probably be easier to just do a fresh one and may prevent any complications in having the Lycom card pass-through bootable.

7. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Didn't get in until late last night, but managed to install the XP941 into the adapter and into the case. On first boot there was a chkdsk thing going on where it seemed to need to scan a ~300mb partition, which cleared fine. Windows installed drivers and on a reboot, I had an assigned drive letter ready to go.

[​IMG]

I did do a quick AS SSD benchmark and I have the screenshots at home, but it faired well, with a percent or two of the advertised speeds.

Tried to install Windows and it failed as I don't have a UEFI enabled USB boot stick, so had to remake one and will have another go this evening and see if that's all it needs.

8. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Uh oh, saw the mention on the FP. Will have to put some benchmarks in tonight :thumbup:

9. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

Nice one. I really like these "compact" builds with the full size graphics cards.

10. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Cheers :)

Now for two benchmarks I took just after putting it all together, and hadn't gotten around to posting yet :)

SSD speeds before, on the Plextor:

[​IMG]

And after on the XP941 in the X4 adapter.

[​IMG]

Big difference! More than double both sequential read and write speeds. Lost a little on 4k and the access time for writes, but it feels nothing but faster. System is all together and working well, I actually just put in the final piece of the puzzle, another 2 x 4GB matching ram, so the slots are full and blue, instead of showing red in the gaps in between. Will post another picture later on. :thumbup:

11. crag_v

crag_v Member

Looks great, Sam, well done! Lucky those gfx card cable ports were on the top and not the end of the card eh? Nice one.

12. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Thanks Craig :)

Very happy with it so far. Only a few mm larger than a Microlab Solo6C bookshelf speaker on each side.

Performs beautifully. Quiet even at full load during long gaming sessions. Dust hasn't been an issue so far, either.

13. deluxe

deluxe Member

Sweet little case! Strong vibes of lian-li as you say. Nice simple solution for the dust filtration :thumbup:

No we started using black cos they look filth :leet:

14. Tazor

Tazor Member

Jonsbo are great, just picked up a UMX1 PLUS, gorgeous case. A little less compact than this as it sort of puts form above function, but the full acrylic side panel is awesome. The only way this case could be more compact was if it was dinner, have you seen the UMX3? Bit bigger, but very attractive.

15. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

I might be accused for bringing a thread back from the dead,

I can't believe the only English review of this case is here...

For those, looking at this case.

the non windows version is now available at PLE for

$65 plus delivery..
    Shop Cases from Jonsbo | PLE Computers

In fact a few of the jonsbo cases are on special..

Elmf and sammy_b0i like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Definitely didn't need the reminder of the horrible clashing colours in this build, as I couldn't find the black version of the fans.. :lol:

But to see the case for $65 when I paid $160, is good to see. Nice find!

Elmf likes this.