Compaq C710TU Vista Dramas

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by darkmonk, Nov 24, 2007.

1. darkmonk

darkmonk Member

Yes this is one of the FREE laptops given away with the Certificate II Courses at http://www.aot.edu.au/

When I first recieved it, it came with Vista Basic installed, First thing I did was upgrade from 512Mb Ram to 2Gb.

System was stable for a couple of days, till I did a Windows Update and Updated everything possible including Drivers. Rebooted and Vista brought the Logon manager up as normal.

Clicked on my user icon and Vista continues to load for about 3-4 seconds and then blue screens, Traced the fault to the updated Intel 950 Display Driver.

Cant rollback the driver as it bluescreens as soon as the display driver is loaded even in safe mode. Because of the Shared Memory of 950 Display Driver I though I should give it a 24Hr dose of Memtest to make sure that the new 2Gb of Ram wasnt faulty. No errors on the 24hr+ memtest session.

So I installed my Compaq OEM copy of Windows XP Professional and havent had a drama since, except for the fact I've got to use a hacked sound driver and there isnt a driver for the dialup modem in XP.

Now imagine my surprise when my next door neighbour went out and bought the exact same notebook, I gave him the 512Mb stick that originally came with my mine to double his ram to 1Gb.

He took it home and that night ran Windows Update in Vista, which upgraded his Intel Display driver and guess what? It started the blue screen loop, loading Vista to just past the login screen and the blue screening and rebooting automaticlly in a continuous loop.

Booted up my Memtest CD and left it to run a few loops of testing with no failures.

Thought no worries, he hasnt really used it yet, May as well use the restore dvd and start with a fresh copy of Vista. Installed fine, went to intel.com site and got the latest display and chipset drivers. Everything installs and is running fine, First reboot after display drivers are installed, and guess what? The bloody thing starts on the blue screen loop again.

So, Im lost with what to do, I prefer XP at the moment anyway. Running XP Pro on both notebooks now with the latest drivers from compaq and intel, with no problems at all.

Anyone got an idea on what I can try?

Thanks

Darkmonk

2. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Don't install the updated Intel display drivers?

3. OP
    OP
    darkmonk

darkmonk Member

For those of us who know what they are doing, using the custom option when using windows update thats a simple enough solution, But when you have a relatively newbie who uses the express option, when for some reason the display driver has come up as a high priority update. Suddenly they have to reboot there system and the blue screen loop begins. :sick:

4. Witch

Witch Member

What I don't get is: Why the hell are Microsoft still distributing a driver that is not merely buggy, but renders the operating system totally useless?

Poor show by both Microsoft and Intel.

I'm not affected, but I'd be annoyed (to put it politely) if I were.