COMPETITION - Design a LOGO and Win stuff!

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Suntzu, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

I need a logo for a business card/general logo for my business based at voicerecognition.com.au

I need a small one for a business card but if you want to design a new logo at the top of the webpage that would be nice.

Needs to be clear and legible as may only have 1 or two colours when transfered to a business card. It can have more colours for the website logo, but ensure it can be effectively reduced to Grayscale.

You can use any of the images on my page of you wish to modify them to use. The key theme is a microphone headset.

Prizes:

Whoever designs the best small business card type logo get a choice of:

1. Digital USB Noise Cancelling Microphone NC7100 valued at $199. OR
    2. Dragon Version 6 Standard edition with normal microphone RRP $199.OR
    3. Something of similar value on my website by negotiation.

I WILL give the winner one of these prizes, and I MAY give a second prize to anyone designing a decent webbanner.

I reserve the right to cancel the competition if the only submissions are garbage though I doubt this will be the case given the quality of similar art I have seen on this forum.

The competition ends in 14 days.

Goodluck!

Post the art here or PM me. I can be emailed at russell@voicerecognition.com.au for any questions.

Edit: The winning design will be used on my site/marketing. Hence your entry to the competition means that you agree to accepting this fact. There is potential for additional paid work after this ends.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2002
  2. jOb

jOb Member

Calm down Cicada.
    No-one's forcing you to do anything.

I think competitions like this are healthy - they promote atistry, conversation, and competition. I can't wait to see what people come up with.

3. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

Any designs submitted remain the intellectual property of the designer, and any unauthorised use of those designs would constitute a breach of the Copyright Act 1968. If Suntzu was to hire the person, then ask them to design a logo, that would be different; likewise, if he had said that any and all designs submitted would become his IP, that may be the case. By my reading of the post, neither is true.

If you don't feel the payment is appropriate, don't do the work. But another member here (his name eludes me) had a rather successful thread on the same lines - he got many suggestions, many refinements, and I don't believe I saw one disgruntled entrant.

4. OP
    OP
    Suntzu

Suntzu Member

Cicada,

I'd appreciate it ( as Im sure would others) that you would keep your rudeness and vugarity to yourself. If you have nothing to contribute, and clearly you do not ,then go away and stay away.

Im not asking you to submit , I asking those who might want to get a start in design to have a go and maybe get something for their portfolio referencing a legit commercial website, and a small prize for their time.

Dont suppose it occurred to you that I might employ the winner in an additional capacity later on (paying proper contract rates)??... you idiot.

Dont let this guy put you off people. There always one in every crowd.

5. funnelbc

funnelbc Member

Ummm.

Yeah, ill try and squeeze off an entry. Oh and cicada, it will be a complete suite of work, including print ready cmyk eps files.

Why are competitions a good idea? It gives young independant graphic designers and students a chance to tender in their work for a professional job and gain experience. This is a good thing. Its also a fantastic opportunity to build up a folio, and in some cases establish relationships with new clients.

If you dont feel comfortable with freepitching and you feel like you are going to get ripped of, then feel free to put in your 2 bob's worth. But don't start a witchhunt just because one person is trying to get a logo done on the cheap.

Nuff said.

6. Eimi

Eimi Member

Well I'm happy to do it, the biggest problem I have with doing designs, is unless someone see's them I'm never going to get paid for it anyway.

Here's my first effort :
    <snip>image removed and emailed</snip>

7. dantheman65

dantheman65 Member

Report it then, hotshot? The law will decide.

8. funnelbc

funnelbc Member

yes... yes pantone uncoated I was thinking. :p

9. thetron

thetron Member

[​IMG]

comments and suggestions are welcomed

10. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

1. Cicada, nice work on calming down, and especially about apologising. Nice stuff.

2. If you have a design to submit to this competition, do not post it in this thread. Email a proof copy of the image to Suntzu.

If you don't know what a proof copy is, it's a small, lower quality version of the final, high quality image. We don't want to be filling Suntzu's email box with 3mb PSD files, now do we?

Suntzu's email address is in his first post.

If you're wondering why I'm saying not to post your design in this thread... well, other people who are entering the competition can see your entry.

11. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Member

ok, here's my offerings - if you want some changes just post here or PM me and i will edit them :D

EDIT: have emailed them, as per Scibys post :D

cheers

12. Wolfy

Wolfy Big Bad Wolf

As far as I am aware, posting a competition like this on the OCAU forums, is not against the rules.

From a personal perspective, I would have thought it to be of interest to many ‘amateur designers’ that read the forums.

Mind you my opinion may be a little biased: http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/r_andrea_nc1212/ ;)

13. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

*wonders when the new set of review headphones are supposed to arrive and whistles innocently* :rolleyes:

14. OP
    OP
    Suntzu

Suntzu Member

I hate having to defend myself from thread hijackers like you cicada, but lets finish this....

I am a very small business of 1 person that started out 2 years ago from virtually nothing. I proud of what I have built and what I have achieved. I used to advertise on OCAU and was happy with that but cant afford to do it all the time. I have submitted some items for review *thanks wolfy* and this sites been a pretty positive experience for me in general. In fact I have some new stuff for OCUA to review soon but I guess its would just "crappy" to you.

I have paid big money for designers to do thing for me in the past, people who I assumed where professionals like myself. Frankly I was let down a few times and felt ripped off given the equality of the final product. I realise you think you are pretty special but it takes very little for someone to CLAIM they are a good designer.

In reference to your particular points:

1. 1. The client doesn’t have the experience to choose a particular designer.

No I do not and if they are as unprofessional and rude as you Id rather not. Nor do I have the time to do research on it since Im a one man show.

2. (most common reason) They are more interested in the exposure involved than they are in getting a good design. There’s far more publicity to be had through arranging a logo competition than in just hiring a graphic designer. (This is my objection to these types of threads, it’s SPAM in my eyes) Why just look at all the voicerecognition.com banners popping up on this page, and what do OCAU’s paying supporters who may sell competing products think of that?

I really take offence at this. The only people comming to this thread are contributing ( with the exception of you) . People would hardly come here otherwise give the CLEAR TITLE OF THE THREAD.
    It doesnt say "Free cash, come in HERE" now does it? I think OCAU paying supporters would be professional enough to know that they have NO SAY OVER THE CONTENT AT OCAU or if they thought they did im sure Agg would set them straight.

3. They don’t want to pay to have something designed.
    I am paying in prizes, they do cost me money, I do not manufacture the products hence I must pay for them. I have also offered to take a designer on and pay properly if the opportunity presents itself.

Franky I dont give a shit about your petty perceived politics in the life of designers or whatever. Take this bullshit somewhere else and leave me and those wishing to contribute the frig alone.
    CICADA PLEASE DO NOT POST AT THIS THREAD AGAIN YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE> READ MY LIPS.

Sorry about this guys I didnt realise this minor friendly competition would end up in a flame war. I was just trying to give a few guys/gals a go and a chance at winning a few prizes.

PLEASE EMAIL THE SUBMISSIONS TO ME AT russell@voicerecognition.com.au as I have agreed witht he admins to simply the process.

The comps still on goodluck and send them through. I will respond to all emails sent.

cheers

15. funnelbc

funnelbc Member

Hrm. Well as I have been previously playing the devil's advocate, I would like to now.... *drumroll* play the devils advocate. *boom tish*

Designers do have folios. Yes indeedy, they do. Students sometimes have weak folios, and little to no experience. Its always good to be working, and some work is better than none. Following so far?

So, If i want to enter a comp, (as I have now) and continue to build up my experience, then who are you to tell me not to? You may be a designer who is out of work, or frustrated at the lack of work. I can only assume that this is the case.

I understand your particular irk, free pitching. (for non designers, free pitching is when a designer does a design for free just to have the chance of getting the job) I dont have a problem with free pitching, in that it at least it gives a young designer a foot in the door, which a helluva lot more than most design firms will give. Its a competative field, I know. Thats a bitch. I am currently looking for any work experience possible to build my folio, and my breadth of professional experience - Something thats very hard to do unless I take on jobs, or go in for slightly less glamourous jobs such as this one. There may be no kudos as far as you are concerned but there certainly is as far as I am concerend.

If you want me to be sympathetic to your situation cicada, then I suggest you think back to the days of having little to no professional work and little prospect of getting it without a killer folio. I'm a strong believer in the value of hard work, and I have entered a few designs which took me, net about 2 hours. Some are good, some are not so good. This is irellevent, I have at least had a go, and put my hat in the ring. If he doesnt like my design, there's no skin off my nose, and I have continued doing what I love.

I am perplexed why anyone would be so offended - Im happy, the client is happy. And lets face it, you didnt miss out on a potentially big job because of this. Smaller companies can often not afford the services of fully fledged designers- and I doubt that a company like this would contract a professional designer for a logotype / identity of the scale that you allude to being robbed of.

Live and let live.

16. kumquat

kumquat Member

am i missing something here, haven't there been a few threads like this where people have been asked to desing logos?? then this one and shit hits the fan??

17. nbk

nbk Member

I think a 'live' design is worth more than a bunch of 'dead' designs stuck in a folder. Wouldn't it be neat to simply give a bunch of REAL corporate websites, business cards, stationary to a prospective employer than a folder full of things you did during uni/tafe/kindergarden? I'd rather be able to point at a bill board and say "I did that" than have something collecting dust at home.

Design competitions have always been around - like how do you think the Sydney Operahouse design came about? Its a method of getting the best design out of a range of very different designers. Its a main part of the design industry, if you win, you usually get snapped up by a design house, or find that working for yourself becomes considerably easier. You may notice that the fashion industry is similar, like many other industries that rely upon creative talent.

Design is primarily about the art, marketing and creativity. Money is nice to have, but shouldn't be a priority. Designing for money produces those bland mass-produced pre-packaged images that are commonly found in "clipart."

Having said all that with no apparent reason - I'll be sure to let BROTHER know that another design comp is on :)

18. thetron

thetron Member

please post your designs

don't keep them behind closed doors

19. Jay

Jay Member

I literally live with a student Graphics Designer. Don't post your work on the thread if it's for this, mail them to suntzu. There are a lot, and I mean seriously whole thousands of other Graphics Designers who just rip their work from other people to get what they want.

Post your stuff for other things like photoshop tennis or your eye candy from illustrator but not possible working designs, as designs for these situations are pretty dangerous. Not just to you, but for fuelling fraudulant designers.

20. ViPeR-7

ViPeR-7 Member

ok, 2 things

1) what colour scheme are you after for the coloured version?
    2) from what ive seen in the design a logo threads, i believe it is far better for people to post their work on the thread. Yes, it leads to stealing of ideas, people changing one small thing and beating the person who came up with the idea, but as long as people give credit where credit's due, then people building up ideas off each other really leads to a better design. In this respect it was probably not in your best interests to provide a prize, as without it, people would openly share their work and you would have something better than you will end up with atm.

And yes, i am a graphic designer, but not by main trade. i have done 2 years work as a professional graphics designer for a local copy shop, but it was on an employee level, never did any hunting myself, and i was chosen more on a lack of options than amount of skill. But i will be contributing, and i will be posting my work in the open, not because i want a prize, not to prove a point, but simply because i like to see people helping each other out, and i lead by example.

</RANT>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.