Competitors to Olympus' Tough Series?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ark, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Ark

Ark Member

hey guys

recently at work i demonstrated an olympus mju 720SW or something like that and after being reassured by a fellow workmate who already has a similar model, we dropped it on the ground from desk height, dropped it in a glass of water, banged it against the wall and it still worked perfectly - after which believe it or not the customer bought that very model we had just been throwing around!

im wondering what other models are on the market similar to the olympus tough series - i would like to get one like the mju 790SW but theyre relatively expensive. ive always been apprehensive of taking my canon ixus anywhere because it feels like it might fall apart at the slightest bump, while with one of these tough cameras i wouldnt worry.

so, suggestions? sorry if this is in the wrong section!

2. OP
    OP
    Ark

Ark Member

so there arent any?

3. metawaffle

metawaffle Member

I don't think there are. Pentax makes a waterproof camera, but it isn't shockproof.

On the IXUS front, though, while they aren't waterproof, my experience with the IXUS 70 is that it can take a bit of a beating without too much trouble, so don't worry too much :D

4. Zuby

Zuby Member

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-1268184-5056624?asin=B000QUJKFU&AFID=Shopzilla&LNM=B000QUJKFU|FisherPrice_KidTough_Digital_Camera__Pink&ref=tgt_adv_XSB10001
    :lol:

5. metawaffle

metawaffle Member

I stand corrected!

6. Pharcyde_84

Pharcyde_84 Member

My sister got a Vivitar waterproof camera for Christmas. It seems really good, and it takes great underwater shots. It's got a huge yellow rubber casing too, so I'd imagine it can take a pounding. Not sure about price though.

7. metawaffle

metawaffle Member

On the subject of those Olympus ones, though, I used one the other day that belongs to a surfer - there was sand and salt crust in all the little nooks and crannies. Still worked, of course. This guy loves the camera.

However, I know another person who has one for everyday use, and he's not so happy - basically, his opinion is that performance is on a par with a non-waterproof camera of half the cost...

8. AJR

AJR Member

There are plenty of cameras that are much tougher than those Olympus', but they're not really a competitor due to the prices.

The only really competitor is the Pentax W series, although they're protected against water (roughly just more than 3m depth safely), sand and dust; they aren't made to be particularly shock-proof like the Olympus'.

9. One Drone

One Drone Member

Until the Olympus, you either had shock proof or water proof. Not both. At the moment Olympus is the only one that is both.

10. ecroF

ecroF Member

I've been selling the olympus's's's's since they launched. I'm totally blown away by how few come back seeing as every 2nd person seems to want to take them in the surf. Just don't do what a mate of mine did. He managed to drop it in such a way that it landed on a corner, cuasing the battery cover to pop open........
    then it bounced into the pool!

11. OP
    OP
    Ark

Ark Member

yeah shockproof is really what im looking for, i rarely spend time near water so the latter isnt necessary, just nice to have :)

been eyeing the olympus tough series on ebay and they all seem to be going for a bit too much for my liking. i have a nikon coolpix P5 which takes fantastic photos but its not durable nor is it particularly compact (want something thats flat, no big humps like with my nikon).

either that, or i keep using my K800i for photos while clubbing until that dies good and proper :D

12. ehor

ehor Member

13. AJC13B

AJC13B Member

Have a 795 and love it.

Took it to Hawaii and it got sand and shit all through it, took it down into about 3 or 4 metres of water and got some great shots.

It will be taken into the ski hills of Hokkaido and interior BC in Feb and March for the polar opposite of the spectrum, will have no doubt it will perform like a trooper in those conditions as well :D

14. aloysius

aloysius Member