computer eyewear

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by BobJustBob, Mar 29, 2019.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

anyone use glasses that supposedly "protect" your eyes? are they b/s or somewhat legit or legit?

ie > ...

2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I have used some. In the office a guy got a pair and we all tried them for a few days (gunnars) he insisted that they worked.
    Although it could have been a placebo effect so he didn't feel like he wasted $150 on junk :lol: and was an UBERPROSUPAHACKERGAMER

I'll say this. If you're not having any problems using a computer = complete bullshit.
    Aside from the owner of them, all of us in the office under 35 who tried them couldn't find any reason to wear them (unless we wanted everything to be miscoloured for some god knows reason)
    Manager in his mid 40's did say it made his eyes feel less strained after 8 hours.. But then pointed out that he could have turned down the monitor brightness, or angled it away from the lights or used a cheap pair of sunglasses.
    Warranty guy in his early 50's said they did help with migraines.

If you aren't experiencing any eye problems or headaches and don't use a computer for 12+ hours a day there's not much point at all.
    If you do have any problems, see an optometrist OR GP to try and fix the problem before shelling out for a pair.

I'm not going to call them snake oil, but they're definitely a try before buy type of item.
    (I'm avoiding the snake oil term because I know 2 people who didn't have to pay for them that said they did help, and 6 that didn't pay for them that thought they were pointless)

3. shino

shino Member

Is there a optometrist here on ocau. I know my optometrist says computer screens don’t affect your eyesight but I think they do. Does screen time deteriorate your eyesight ability?

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Personally from an absolutely laypersons view, I think they do also, especially extended lengths of time behind screens not focusing elsewhere away from the screen for a period of time.

firey4059 likes this.
  5. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Exactly, make sure you focus on something distant for a couple minutes every hour.

6. havabeer

havabeer Member

Like knock off time??

Madengineer and firey4059 like this.
  7. ex4n

ex4n Member

I was given a pair of the cheap $50ish Gunnar's to wear and I think they do reduce eye strain, especially as someone who works in front of a computer, staring at multiple large monitors for up to 16 hours a day. They also seemed to have a very mild magnification which seemed to make small text easier to read, not sure if this is true but that was my perception. That said, I don't actually use them very often anymore, but sometimes late at night when I'm working I will put them on.

8. Lazlo999

Lazlo999 Member

LOL has anyone actually read some of the KEY FEATURES?

heres a few that stand out for me :)
    • Ultra detailed quad-core hinge design
    • Asian Fit Compatible
    First of all whats an asian fit? do you get these upgrades only on asian fit? (Wide format lenses)

secondly whats the hash rate on the hinges?

clonex likes this.
  9. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

SpaceFrog likes this.
  10. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I have Gunnar's, they're pointless on mobiles since pretty much all modern mobiles have a blue light filter feature.

For TV or monitors they can have a beneficial effect for reducing eye strain and also for falling asleep easier.

I dont wear mine often at all because big yellow glasses make anyone wearing them look like bono..

But I probably should wear them at work since I'm at a pc for more than 7 hours a day.

One more thing to note is that they are slightly magnified, which is also good if your staring at screens all day

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  11. Lazlo999

Lazlo999 Member

12. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

I would think they are just filtering a certain wavelength of light. People with myopia for example (like myself) tend to see better through brown- or yellow-coloured sunnies than through blue-coloured ones - and yes, sharpness of images is one of the benefits (someone mentioned being able to see small text better, but I don't believe it's magnification, just clarity).

I manage 12 people in a call centre and I insist they get out of their chairs and go for a walk for a couple of minutes every hour to ensure they aren't straining their eyes (or backs or limbs).

WTVF? Awesome I'm going to use that one in the office every time I have to sell an idea to the staff...

13. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

install f.lux or redshift
    ?????
    profit

14. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Or, y'know, turn down the brightness and hue and whatnot. Like what we used to do in the 70's when TV's had dials and knobs you had to use to get a decent picture.

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Windows Nightlight. Changes the brightness and spectrum of your screen to reduce eyestrain. Set the times it operates on, mine is on sunset-sunrise, but no reason you can't make it 24hrs.
    CTRL Scroll.. run a high definition screen at %150 text size. Also reduces eyestrain, but might cut down on your screen real estate if that matters hugely to you.

Both far better options than snake oil glasses.

16. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

When I go shopping for sunnies only about 1% of the frames fit me.

17. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Why not just call it "narrow-bridge fit" or something of that ilk? People understand the nose has a bridge, right?

18. Lazlo999

Lazlo999 Member

EXACTLY MY POINT!
    Sounds a little less racist