Computer frequently shuts off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by King Krapp, Aug 30, 2013.

1. King Krapp

King Krapp Member

Hey guys, my housemate's having real troubles with his computer. I've done what I can but honestly I'm at a loss.

Basically it's hard powering off (not a Windows 7 shutdown) regularly. Seems to be increasing in frequency. No bluescreen, nothing in the logs other than "hey your computer shut down earlier that probably shouldn't happen." Initially it restarted right away but now it's taking longer and longer to come back on.

Didn't seem related to load. At one point it repeatedly did it while trying to boot into windows and never got past the loading screen until it was disconnected from the power. However my housemate's started playing WoW again, and for a while it was fine but now it's happening pretty shortly after he launches it, every time.

It's plugged into a power board along with the screens (which don't shut off). He's tried switching sockets and cords for the computer.

It's not heat, temps have been checked and are fine. RAM has passed memtest86+ passes. I did a basic check with my PSU tester and it looked okay.

It's a pretty new system, the specs are

i7 3770
    8GB RAM (G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT)
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo
    Palit GTX 770 2GB
    Silverstone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-P
    Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD
    and 2 HDDs

So yeah, any ideas? We're up to multiple times a day now.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. broccoli

broccoli Member

As in not that power board at all?

3. OP
    OP
    King Krapp

King Krapp Member

No, I don't believe he has, but if the power board itself were the problem, then wouldn't the screens shut off as well?

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm no electrician, but power boards can be dodgy (ie it might not be tripping through overload, just dodgy/faulty). That's the first thing I'd try, that and the power cord, which he's done. If it happens on a different powerboard then you can exclude that as a cause.

5. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I'm with the above vegetable, and how many items are plugged into the power board?

6. OP
    OP
    King Krapp

King Krapp Member

It's basically just the computer and screens. Maybe some computer speakers or a desk lamp?

7. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

You'd be surprised how much difference it can make.
    I've had peoples computers playing up real random, took it off the power board and plugged it into the wall directly (or sometimes a different outlet all together, preferably one on a different circuit) and running mint again.
    Dodgy power might not affect(effect?) a monitor but a computer is a lot more sensitive to dirty power.

Definately worth trying.

8. OP
    OP
    King Krapp

King Krapp Member

Fair enough, I've told him to try it

9. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Good luck with it!

If that doesn't work, My next step would be to try another PSU if you have one you can test with. (I wouldn't put any faith in a $20 PSU tester other then to see if it powers on/off at all...)

10. Axe

Axe Member

+1 for another psu, i've got one that turns itself off intermittently, its a psu fault.

11. stocky

stocky Member

Check the fan in the PSU is working

12. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Built a PC for a mate (and thus gave him a lifetime warranty on labor) had the exact same issues with random "hard shutdowns". Swapped out most parts and even bought a new mobo but issues still persisted to such an extent the OS became corrupted finally swapped out PSU with the missus one (had to strip her PC down to get it out as mine is to complex) and it was that exact model of PSU!!!

I have no confidence in those PSU's but have three HCG's in 3 different PCs without any issues. I doubt your "$25" PSU tester is going to provide any meaningful load spikes (no offense here) to truly test the PSU.

But you should also try this out:
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=294
    Q. My computer will trip the circuit breaker in my house, how do I prevent this?
    A:

If your computer is tripping the circuit breaker that means it is drawing too much power from one outlet. Please do the following:

1. Please make sure the computer is plugged directly into the wall outlet and do not use extension socket or other multiple outlet extension cords with the computer.

2. If the use of extension socket is necessary, avoid combined usage with other higher powered household appliances such as TV, audio amplifier, etc…

3. Contact your local electrician for information on how you can upgrade your house to accommodate higher electrical draw.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  13. zxzxzx

zxzxzx Member

If, you still struggle, maybe unplug your hdd or ssd, and plug it on another computer and back up what you can. And than just reinstall windows

14. shane41

shane41 Member

How exactly are you checking temps?
    What case is this gear in?

I have a TX3 cooler & also have had earlier tx2 models.

While these are fine budget coolers, they may be overloaded due the the gpu dumping extra heat in the case.

( From what you said in OP ) He starts his game then it powers off.

Just about every z77 board I have here reports temps 20deg lower than they really are.
    I only trust Realtemp 370 on my 3570k.
    Once I've done the sensor test/ directed it to prime95 small fft's

Edit. Just notice its an Asrock board.
    My extreme6 board had a buggy bios from day 1. Only a bios update sorted my issue.
    Have there been any ( reset to default in bios ) cmos reset,remove battery etc happen.

If yes. Then check bclk frequency. If rammies can do a xmp profile, set that as well.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. OP
    OP
    King Krapp

King Krapp Member

Checking temps with HW Monitor.

It's in a CM 690II

What I actually said was that the issue existed before he played the game and that he's played the game without causing it, it was just a recent pattern that doesn't carry over to other games.

Temperatures are fine. None of the behaviours are in line with high temps.

16. shane41

shane41 Member

My eyesight & brain not so good @ 1am. :o

What 12v rails that psu have?

The 770 graphics, what power connector/s does it take?

How cables configured to it?

ie. A 6pin to one connector & maybe molex adaptor to 6/8 pin on the other connector.

What I'm getting @ is could be uneven load on a rail. Just an idea if you want to follow up on it & check.