Concerns about Data Retention, Surveillance and Privacy

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Jul 18, 2012.

1. damn duck

damn duck Member

I saw a very interesting video released earlier this month dealing with the problems of data retention:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=761_1347068077

It's from an NSA whistleblower, who has spoken at Defcon and actively tries to make aware the danger of having a timeline of your life readily available.

2. alfster

alfster Member

The NSA are blatantly lying to Congress about spying on & keeping records on their own citizens, you know society is in trouble when they won't admit to what they are doing. I really hope this gets exposed & heads roll over this, not that I expect it will ever revert to non spying once they started doing that.

3. Daedalus01

Daedalus01 Member

how much data are isps already retaining currently (even without the new legislation)?

are they not currently retaining anything? which would make sense as they would want to minimise storage costs?

4. damn duck

damn duck Member

They probably keep enough data to help them with network diagnostics and stuff.

Saw this article, it's a little longer than usual but it is so well written I strongly suggest it:

Be careful, she might hear you
    Attorney-General Nicola Roxon wants unprecedented access to the private lives of Australians, writes Philip Dorling.
    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/be-careful-she-might-hear-you-20120924-26h6r.html
    Much more at the link, please read through it and the comments.

5. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

So when a land line and letters was the ONLY means of communication... surely the 'spies' had far far greater access to your information/communications, than they do now, and that they are even proposing??

So that 'unprecedented' in the new article is a complete beat up, its not unprecedented, because prior to the net, 'the govt' had far far more access to your communications and interactions with others because they had access too 100% of the communications 100% of the time.

Not saying either is good.. just that the news articles are sensationalist BS.. i guess they are just done to get a reaction...

Either way, i await with popcorn as Roxon's sites doing down in the near future yet again. What a cow, way to represent the people. :(

6. meremortal

meremortal Member

No because "in those days" an individual or group of people had to be deliberately focused on and a human being had to read or listen to everything and very little of the work was automated.

Now with automated data storage and vast database storage and data matching and heuristic algorithms it's possible to input a series of catchall tags, phrases, groupings etc and wait for the "baddies" to pop out.

My terminology is incorrect but you get the point.

The power this sort of information gives is vast and to assume it can't or won't be used to further the aims of certain groups who control the information is ... to put it bluntly ... naive.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  7. damn duck

damn duck Member

If you give an inch, they'll take a mile...

Police want phone data kept indefinitely
    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...ta-kept-indefinitely-20120926-26kj2.html#poll

8. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

The heurstics your talking about is very much the 'echelon' thing people think has magical powers. The current proposed law is nothing like echelon, and is more inline with the capabilities they (the eeevil gobment) claim they had with land lines and letters and all that old shit no one uses anymore.

Gillard fucked it up (what doesnt she fuck up, she even dresses like a down syndrome muppet covered in spew) and went for the whole hog first, if she just tried to slip this one in, slip another in bit by bit, she would have got it, but going with the big bang got everyone aware of it, and predominately against it.. they gonna have a hard time making it work, and staying in govt.. Lets hope she gets the boot next election.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  9. FiShy

FiShy Member

echelon randomly changes the channel on my tv when im in the kitchen, its very annoying.

10. Daedalus01

Daedalus01 Member

So you are saying when I post a letter australia post makes a copy and retains it for 2 years?

11. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Yes thats completely what im saying. Now get back to the kitchen with Fishy and use the meat tenderiser on your brain.

12. gaakor

gaakor Member

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/316989,police-push-for-indefinite-data-retention.aspx

http://www.zdnet.com/australian-police-want-telco-customer-data-retained-forever-7000004811/

So there you have it straight from the horses mouth, Nicola Roxon is wrong, the authorities DO want data retention not just 2 years but forever!

13. damn duck

damn duck Member

It goes on and on and on...How much power do these government bodies want!?

ASIC wants power to read your emails, texts
    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...to-read-your-emails-texts-20120927-26ner.html

14. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Anyone else think that agencies have been directed to publicly request additional information access to help justifiy the first proposed legal change?
    Hmm......

Fuck this.

I want cookies. If everyone else can ask for stuff randomly, I want cookies, with heaps of sprinkles, and when i say heaps, i mean like 95% sprinkles 11% cookie.

/me eats my cookie and ponders.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  15. gaakor

gaakor Member

That appears to be exactly the strategy they are taking.

They have had another agency ask for obscene amounts of data retention, that would in fact be completely impossible to implement without driving the cost of your average 1 terabyte per month plan up into the $200-$300 per month range since the ISP would need to buy a 1 terabyte hard drive and mirror all data it sends and receives from you onto that drive, times all their customers it would cost hundreds of billions of dollars and is completely infeasible, not to mention the speed of connections would slow drastically.

I'm against meta data retention for any period of time.

I'm against data retention for any period of time.

They have enough, there have been no terrorist attacks; all of them have been hampered so there is simply no need for this kind of drastic police state style invasion of our privacy.

I mean basically this proposal from ASIC is to abolish privacy, privacy will be dead, you won't have any right to privacy in your own home or outside of your home.

Our free democracy is in jeopardy the way this is going.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

It's in jeopardy now, it has been for awhile. Slowly but surely it has been stripped. I feel so sorry for our kids and grand children to come.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, they did that the last time so that the changes implemented seemed "all right" compared to what was initially proposed.

The one thing you can guarantee is that any implementation will be subject to change by regulation. Once it's in, they'll be able to change the periods. It may be X period at the start, but it will be indefinitely shortly afterwards.

The reason to retain these data is so they can search them. If they had a legitimate reason to have the information retained for a particular suspect, they can get a warrant to monitor. For events that have already happened, every phone call and every face-to-face conversation aren't recorded. They can prove them in court by calling the other party to give evidence about it. They are not "losing" something they've never had. It's the equivalent of making people carry around a tape recorder just in case they talk about something that turns out to be illegal.

The NBN will hook everybody up, and every thing they do will be monitored and recorded. What they do won't just be observed, it will be controlled.

18. meremortal

meremortal Member

No magical powers required. Pretty simple to do search queries when you have the data infront of you.

Data retention is the first step. Once the data is stored and accessible even I with my handful of SQL, ORACLE, DBA courses and MCSE certs and hands on Access database experience that I haven't used fully in 7 years could, given a solid two or three weeks, build you a pretty handy searchable front end to search domain names, search terms etc depending on what data is being retained of course.

19. chip

chip Member

This is proof that you're a US government spook. We call them 'hundreds and thousands' and biscuits in Australia. I knew you'd slip up sooner or later.

20. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

ISP's store it, its not accessible to the spookies until after a warrant. thats a rather important step.

Mother bitch, now your know im not Aussie. :(
    /me remembers it for next time.

I'm a Chinese Singaporean national (live in oz mainly), its more likely I am spying for China that yanks. I mean really, the Yanks are tards anyway right. Its their meddling that has Gillard doing this stuff anyway.