Concerns about Data Retention, Surveillance and Privacy

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Feenicks

Feenicks Member

Wow, i wish id thought to check in Overclockers forums a lot sooner on this data retention issue. Some awesome discussion in this thread, :)

There's a page on the Pirate Party Wiki which has a big collection of articles and resources etc re the National Security Inquiry here:
    http://pirateparty.org.au/wiki/National_Security_Inquiry

On that page there are links to the transcripts from the hearings they have been having. Some of the comments, face palm inducing idiocy and general lack of technological knowledge on behalf the committee members who are tasked with making recommendations over these possible laws are just tragic to read. It's scary stuff. (even worse when you listen to the live stream and you hear the mutterings and tone that doesnt get into the transcript/hansard)
    Direct links to these transcripts are here:
    http://pirateparty.org.au/wiki/National_Security_Inquiry#Committee_Hearings
    or at source:
    http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...ves_Committees?url=pjcis/nsl2012/hearings.htm

As an additional to the above, if people like to have something to listen to I would recommend having a listen to this podcast:
    http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/csarchive/Show-223---Undermined-by-Openness/

Which i think if people want an overview as to why governments seem so hell bent on over-legislating and damn near wanting to destroy the internet... well, there's an answer. :-\

[​IMG]

2. meremortal

meremortal Member

Today "it's not accessible to the spookies until after a warrant".

Data storage is step one.

Tomorrow...work towards

Step two search the data for specific terms/words/domains/phone numbers

Step three create a "persons of interest" list

Step four - wherever you want to go - as paranoid as you want. Stalinist Russia, NAZI Germany, Police State USA under construction.

"But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing. It behooves you, therefore, to be watchful in your States as well as in the Federal Government." -- Andrew Jackson, Farewell Address, March 4, 1837

"The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated in the name of the noblest causes." -- Thomas Paine

Loads of quotes and they are all correct:

http://freedomkeys.com/vigil.htm

3. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Strange, I always had you pegged as an autocratic Russian. An enigma wrapped in a riddle hidden behind a puzzle, part man part troll.

4. coderx

coderx Member

We already have Trapwire here anyway.

When the AU government was questioned on trapwire they refused to comment.

Also on the trapwire portal there was an Australian login / portal. Which disappeared after it's existence was made known by a 'group' online.

Also something of interest is that the company that deploys the trapwire technology was paid 18 million dollars by the Australian government... I wonder what for ? (R&D ? -- lol yeah right).

5. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Please tell me more, this shit is classic.

6. damn duck

damn duck Member

http://www.zdnet.com/au/ludlams-trapwire-questions-go-unanswered-7000002648/#loop
    Greens Senator Scott Ludlam may have to use "other mechanisms" to reveal whether the Australian Government is using TrapWire to spy on Australians, after his motion to force the truth failed today.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...m-or-face-attack/story-fn4htb9o-1226454413686
    Hackers warn government: come clean on surveillance system or face attack

7. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

hmm, i wonder how long until there is goatse on www.pm.gov.au ??

I wonder how long? (and yes Julia is CLOSE to the inside of a mans elongaged ass hole, but not quite)

8. FiShy

FiShy Member

Mate of mine had a goatse number plate, until someone complained about it.

many lols

9. ernie

ernie Member

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...n-all-phone-internet-data-20120927-26o4f.html

I think this issue has a broader scope than just networking and communications, there is a social change in the air, and we seem to be trying to copy the US in the formation of a police state. I am not happy about this, not happy at all.

The Australian Stasi is alive and well.

- Ernie.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. gaakor

gaakor Member

I'm very tempted to not support Labor anymore solely because of this issue, I've supported them my whole life, even donated.

We've heard the coalition party room erupt in dissent over these data retention proposals so we know where they stand, I've even E-Mailed labor party officials asking them to clarify the position publicly, silence.

If they don't clarify that they will NOT support data retention soon I say we make 100% sure they don't win government next year, and it breaks my heart to have to lobby against the party I support but I won't accept this proposal, nor will most in this thread nor any tech savvy person or ISP even who understands what they want.

It's deeply wrong, and the Labor government is silent.

Therefore soon, we will have no choice but to boycott Labor, NBN or not this is not acceptable.

Whilst I would never vote for the Liberal National coalition, and I know the Greens policies ultimately lead to a bankrupt state, I will have to move to the Greens.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  11. chip

chip Member

This is a bullshit insult to the memory of those people who were imprisoned without trial, tortured, harrassed and executed by the actual Stasi. It's also lazy rhetoric, and does nothing to improve your argument.

12. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Oh ffs, it may be lazy but it aint an insult to those people, drama queen much?

He is just trying to illustrate a point that we as a society need to be vigilant about.

13. chip

chip Member

It is an insult, because it trivialises real suffering and injustice.

14. gaakor

gaakor Member

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/318078,data-retention-risks-australian-internet-freedoms.aspx

This is a universally bad idea.

The only people who WANT the idea to go ahead are apparently ASIO, the police & the federal police - on the grounds that they are too lazy to speak with a judge and get a bench warrant.

They just want the government to basically pass a bill that is essentially a bench warrant for wiretapping against every single Australian, with no evidence of any wrong doing by 99.9999999% of us.

I urge every participant in this thread to do more to raise awareness to the public of these laws & the consequences, because the government sure as heck is not going to inform people about it.

All we want is the Labor government of the day to hold a press conference, any senior minister but preferably Prime Minister, stating that Labor will never support data retention on all Australians & that the current warrant based system with some minor modifications is sufficient, that's all we want to hear them say.

We know the federal opposition does not support the laws - BECAUSE THEIR PARTY ROOM ERUPTED IN DISSENT, in other words they are totally opposed to these style laws - it says something that Labors party room was silent - this is not a major issue for Labor, they appear inclined to bow to ASIO or whatever government department asks for whatever they want regardless of whose rights that violates.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  15. damn duck

damn duck Member

Any more news on this? I'm overseas and it's hard to keep track.

16. gaakor

gaakor Member

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/438816/data_retention_case_against/?fp=4&fpid=78268965

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...h-for-greater-data-access-20121015-27ndh.html

http://www.computerworld.com.au/art..._also_creepy_just_data_retention_ludlam_says/

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/tec...-suppressed-by-government-20121010-27cs7.html

17. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Just saying it is so, doesnt make it that way. Maybe explain why?

Link to back up your claim? BTW, if you HAD read this, you would see they still require a warrant to access the information. So instead of talking complete crap, why not understand what your complaining about first?

Actually no, they want a bill so that META DATA (which is nothing like a wiretap) is stored, so WHEN they get a warrant, they have some of that information available to assist with their queries. Like I said, learn to read.

Your advocating being informed, but you have absolutley no fucking idea what your talking about. Nothing you have said is actually correct. Im all for scare moungering (who isnt) but if your going to argue against the government, some FACTS, based on reality would be pretty freeking helpful.

Never going to happen, especially given people like you are arguing using garbage for your points.

Actually you don't know they. You realise the oppoision is there to oppose? When the LIbs get into power, they too will be told all the reasons the various LEO's 'NEED' this information, and they will change their tune. You live in a world of fantasy.

I got banned for a day - for telling you to learn to read. But still learn to read - now qualified.
    Now if you actually did read the bill, you would understand your arguments are shit. And you would realise there are far better arguments to use to counter it.

Seriously. All your doing is diluting valid opposition, people and arguments like this is why the masses can be so easily dismissed, because they are flining crap, nothing of substance.

well done.

18. damn duck

damn duck Member

Iac, I don't want my meta data stored for 2 years. You can send yours to the government, but don't advocate for the mandatory storing of everyone's.

19. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Hey you too can join the crew of incapable to read and comprehend.

I am NOT advocating storing the data for 2 years. I am advocating that people arguing against it should grow a brain and use accurate arguments, not just make shit up. Cause all your doing is fucking up the ability to actually have any meaningful impact against the bills, cause all the REAL arguments get lost in the drivvle people like him (and I assume you too) produce.

Fark me.

FWIW the Gov. Doesnt get that meta data without a warrant... so again, I have to explain wtf your arguing against because you clowns dont even bother to read it nor understand it.

Let me give an easy example of what you are saying:

Bill: People need to supply free oranges to Govt.
    You guys: Fuck the govt. I want to keep my lemons. screw the bill.
    You guys: Yeah its my car, and I will drive it how I want, screw the bill.
    You guys: Now the local Deli want to sell me chips for $10, screw the bill.

No validate arguments against the bill.
    Bill Passed.

Meanwhile your all busy talking about fucking lemons, driving and chips.. Clap Clap for retard.

Im trying to say the bill is about Oranges, not lemons, cars or chips. Your still busy being grumpy to realise your arguing the wrong thing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  20. damn duck

damn duck Member

Swearing and belittling people who don't want to be tracked by the government comes across as you're in favour of it.