1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Concrete Slab water cooler loop - Hooked up!!!

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by gigs, Aug 1, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    gigs

gigs Member

Yep mshagg in winter its holds constant under 50 deg on the cpu core;

"The water is sitting around 12-14 deg C and CPU temp at idle is 19-22 deg C and full load 45-48 Deg C. Only a mild overclock at this stage 3.8ghz with no voltage tweaks."

We have had a late but warm summer down here in Tassie so the loop is up about 15 deg higher across the board. Still more than capable of cooling OC cpu and 2 x GTX 580s. Another 4-5 meters of copper would give you that bit of extra headroom.

2. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

I realise that the slab is earth coupled and that this is a significant contributor to the effectiveness of your system. However, I have started to wonder if a similarly quiet result could be achieved using a wall mount hydronic heating radiator like these.

3. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

Externally mounted, in Canberra, In Winter - (and shaded) - I would expect so, but I don't see it working so well in summer, or if it is mounted inside at any time of year.
    The benefits of Gigs's system is that you have the 'radiator' mounted to something significantly below ambient, with a large thermal mass that works as a soak. Using the wall mount, you only have the air for a thermal soak, so all you are really doing would be using a 'normal' (just really big) radiator, and 'pushing' the heat into the air (thus why I say in winter, outside, would be fine)

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Reminds me of giant innovatek modular passive radiator <:
    If it's indoors, it'll work just like any other radiator.

5. OP
    OP
    gigs

gigs Member

Mickatroid, I agree with Cape_Horn. I really think you need the thermal mass of the concrete slab to be able to keep temps down. Having this mounted in air just isnt going to dissipate the heat you would generate. The other option you have is to dig it into the ground about a meter or more below surface and run the pipes down to it...

6. brayway

brayway Member

Nice to hear that it's working great!
    I'd still love to do something like this one day :leet:

7. Craigl04

Craigl04 Member

imagine you ran extra length of that pipe and the pipe had hundreds of little copper fins brazed onto it... so much surface area lol

8. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Just going to bump this thread because it's such a fucking cool idea.

Re: gaming in summer, you could pretty much hook up a redundancy rad with a Y fitting, and if it gets too much, add that into the loop.

9. Foliage

Foliage Member

I have an idea, just run coils through your rain water tank and make sure it is always half full.

:thumbup:

10. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yep, that's what I've done out home, works exceptionally well :thumbup:

Bummed we may have to move soon!

11. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Does this method crate condensation on the pipes or the water block on your gear?

12. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Not sure about the sunken loop, but no condensate for me. I only installed it back in September, so haven't had a proper winter yet :thumbup:

13. davros123

davros123 Member

Oooo, I like that idea!

What did you submerse?

What tubing did you run?

Any issues with the rise/fall (as it goes up into the top of the tank then drops 6 feet and back again) or did you punch a hole in the side of your tank?

Any tips?

14. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Getting a big slab poured for a garage in the new year..... might have to throw some pipe in and see how the temps are. Brisbane likely runs higher soil temps.

15. AzzA82

AzzA82 Member

OMG damn nice work mate. I wish i seen this soon just poured a slab for what is now my simrig/pc room damn i wish i thought of this.
    Always thought of burying a few metres of pipe in the backyard when i get around to releveling the atrocious yard i have :lol: need a 4wd mower

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

Just an idea, haven't done it!

17. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Just thought I would bump it again for search a great idea!

I would love to do this myself but knowing our luck, the earth temp will be too high here in Townsville, QLD.

18. AzzA82

AzzA82 Member

Townsville here too.
    Earth temps here aren't to bad, my outdoor in ground pond is the coolest aquarium I have always 7-10 degrees cooler then even my 7ft which is roughly 3 mtrs away in the shade ( Patio tank ). Ground is an awesome insulator. Even in winter. I keep tropical fish in there grow out discus occasionally