Conference room webcams

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by sanjay, Apr 8, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

I am already regretting identifying myself as the designated IT person, don't worry about that...

but the fact is that setting up a decent-ish camera will benefit me too if i need to do a web conference or web court hearing and don't want to use my desk setup (e.g. if i have to do it with clients in the room).

the other desire relates to the fact that i want a relatively simple USB-style camera because there will inevitably be a boffin who wants to hook the camera up to their own laptop and not use the mini PC.

Any other options than the Panacast for around the $1k mark? I have found the ceiling of what the office managers are willing to spend.

EDIT - the fact that they spend many many thousands of dollars on the Webex Kit and it apparently never got used suggests that I think they will be happy with whatever i set up, so long as it works. :D

2. chip

chip Member

maybe they can flog off the webex kit to some chumps and use that money to buy something better

3. Renza

Renza Member

4. domsmith

domsmith Member

Lighting is more important than the camera.

Maybe go for a swivl robot instead and pair it with an ipad camera or they can use their own iphone cameras.

Just make sure it is supported with the video streaming software that is used.

5. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

For a VC space of that size / budget another vote for the Logitech MeetUp as an AIO solution (camera, mic, speaker)
    Staff could either plug in directly (BYOD) or you could leverage a dedicated PC.

Worth noting you could also re-purpose your existing Cisco kit to work natively with Zoom...
    https://zoom.us/roomconnector
    This also provides interoperability with other platforms.

6. oldguy_qld

oldguy_qld Member

I've had 18yrs in this space - may I advise?

1. hard wire it properly or go home.

2. hard wire it properly or go home.

sanjay likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

Unfortunately these kind of piggy back systems will only create more headaches I think. Really don't want to keep throwing money at a shit platform.

My current plan is to set up an Xbox One Kinect sensor as a camera and mic setup - and see how that goes. Have been using one at home since WFH started in 2020 and it worked surprisingly well (and gave me Windows Hello support on my desktop which was a nice perk).

8. connico

connico Member

Lol no... you arnt going to get anything good or worthwhile for under a grand not for a meeting room.

Look at Crestron Flex, Logi Rally or Poly Studio and figure out how to leverage either a PC or end user laptops.

If you're after just a web camera that can do a meeting room under a grand... Huddly IQ, Huddly Go or Logi Rally

9. power

power Member

call someone in to do the job then.

hell, i'm a sysadmin and could have set the VC up with my eyes shut and I called someone in to spec, install and more importanly support when broken.

we ended up with a big tele, a devio box some camera and a suspended mic. the company flogging it to us had a bundle price with a nuc which i replaced with a W10 IoT thin client.

works perfectly.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  10. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

I think you guys are overestimating how large this room is and how advanced the needs of its users are. Most of us are doing web advocacy from a shitty webcam built into a laptop. It doesn't take much to improve on that.

The room is the size of a mid-sized office. People are doing webcam advocacy from their laptop webcams in offices/chambers much larger than this room.

It's a shame that the market for conference cameras is as over-inflated as it seems to be - no doubt influenced by the fact that decisions made by corporate IT teams are often done with little regard to actual cost (because its always "someone else" paying!).

EDIT - we do have an on-call IT team but as you can imagine, they are mostly useless and eye-wateringly expensive. given the way barristers are set up, i would much rather help out my fellow barrister using a skill set that i have, than subject them to the vultures that are on-demand system admin people.

11. power

power Member

ok, here's what you do.

call a few mobs out that do this professionally and get a few quotes, tell the money person to pick one.

12. connico

connico Member

Na mate, he doesnt what those vultures building somethin decent. Instead he'd rather do it himself and regret it later lol

13. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

one wonders why i bothered starting a thread if this was the only advice i would get.

sorry to offend the IT consultants who think that its reasonable to charge $2000+ for a basic conference camera.

thanks to those who gave actually decent suggestions.

archie likes this.
  14. power

power Member

we were going to go ad hoc but i would have been a pita, that and we didn't want to deal with shitty product.

15. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

You're not paying $2000 for a basic conference camera

You're paying $2000 for it to be someone else's problem.

Elmf and ir0nhide like this.
  17. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Correct. How much is your time worth? What do you bill to clients? Sometimes, SOMETIMES you're better off spending your time elsewhere.

My turning point for this attitude was putting in a fence. Can I do it? Sure. Do I know how to do it and get a reasonable result? Sure. Do I want to spend all weekend doing it instead of spending time with family/hobby/studying? Fk no.

18. wazza

wazza Member

Are you sure you're not over complicating things too? It's almost a month after you've created the thread and the 3rd response in seemed to be quite a decent option within your budget.
    I didn't bother responding earlier as it seemed you were after a bit more of an advanced setup than I've moved to - we had a similar setup to you previously with Cisco VC units but for the $$ and lack of easy interoperability with everything else people wanted, these got turned into stupidly expensive TVs, and we now run everything from a SFF PC with a basic MS USB Lifecam sitting on top of the TV and a blue yeti mic on the conference table to pick up decent audio from the whole room. Bigger room than yours sounds and this meets our needs quite well, you don't get closeups of each person or a camera that tracks the active speaker but that wasn't needed in our case.

FYI When I looked at it some of the Cisco units could have their cameras repurposed (may have even just been USB into the codec), but if it's a MX300 unit then the camera won't work elsewhere.

I think that it's just like any other market, if you want cheap and decent you can get it, but if you want fancy stuff they're going to offer it and charge for it. Most people won't get a VC firm in to put in a $1k system, so generally the VC firms (or even just IT teams) are going to come in expecting you need something a bit more up market than a simple webcam and external mic setup, and if thats what they suggest they'd likely get a "why do we even ask you if it's shit we can just get ourselves" - thats why they'd focus on the higher end stuff like active speaker following, multiple noise cancelling mic arrays etc.

19. archie

archie Member

I run a small SME, we use the bcc950 connected to a NUC. Perfect for our needs. We even do hardware product demos and technical support this way.

20. bryn

bryn Member

panacast is a great camera but the built in microphones suck